The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide on a fixture for a 75g mixed reef. Am leaning towards a 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, except that it doesn't have LED "moon" lights which I'd really like. Hamilton makes a 6 bulb with them, and Ice Cap has the 4 bulb....what to do??? WWGR do!

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

That wont be all that blue and should fluoresce things well.

Hey Grim,

This is the setup I have on my 48" 4 bulb. I like it but want to try something a little less white with the same pop, what would you suggest? LPS and softies, no sps...yet.

Thanks.

would the PM be too much light if i am not keeping any sps save encrusting monti's?

do you like the sunpower a lot better than the tek??

thanks again

Don't know about too much but I think the 6 lamp Sunpower would be plenty if you don't want to do the Powermodule. The Sunpower is better than the Tek by quite a bit. Cooling makes a big difference. As long as you are sticking to non Acros the Tek would work as well.

If you are talking halides the more blue ones (14 and 20K) have a lot more blue than Actinic output. If you look at the graphs the 10K's are putting out more actinic than the blue lamps. Don't know why that is but my guess is that the salts they add to produce the blue light is absorbing more of the lower wavelength light that would otherwise be output from the lamp.

I was talking T5's. I didn't even think of the halides. It just seemed strange to me that a bulb higher in the red/yellow range would also have actinic in it. I can see the blue bulbs having only blue in the spectrum b/c when I go scuba diving at depth you lose the red and yellow as you dive deeper. The tattoo on my arm is red and black but at a depth of 100 ft it looks all black b/c there is no red at that depth. I would think those blue T5 bulbs would also have actinic in them but I guess that isn't the case.

What would the Kelvin of this setup you posted be?

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

I am about to replace the T5 bulbs in my Outer Orbit fixture. The MH is a 250w 14k Phoenix. I am looking for suggestions that will really make my colors pop. I also like to use the T5s for sunrise/sunset. Would 4 ATI Blue+ be good? 3 Blue+ and 1 Fiji Purple? Thanks in advance!

Is there much of a difference in the actinic plus bulb and the fiji purple bulb. Im running the purple now but not sold on it. My setup is as follows and any suggestions would be appreciated. Would just kinda like a little more of a blue look but not lose on the spectrum. Thanks

Front
Ati blue+
Ati blue+
Fiji purple
Ge daylight
Ati blue+
Ati blue+

Its an ati sunpower and the 2nd and 5th bulb are the dusk/dawn bulbs

I was talking T5's. I didn't even think of the halides. It just seemed strange to me that a bulb higher in the red/yellow range would also have actinic in it. I can see the blue bulbs having only blue in the spectrum b/c when I go scuba diving at depth you lose the red and yellow as you dive deeper. The tattoo on my arm is red and black but at a depth of 100 ft it looks all black b/c there is no red at that depth. I would think those blue T5 bulbs would also have actinic in them but I guess that isn't the case.

What would the Kelvin of this setup you posted be?

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

Most of the good blue lamps, ATI, Giesemann, Aqua Science, UVL/Ice Cap have a ton of actinic.

That mix would be 14K or so.

I am about to replace the T5 bulbs in my Outer Orbit fixture. The MH is a 250w 14k Phoenix. I am looking for suggestions that will really make my colors pop. I also like to use the T5s for sunrise/sunset. Would 4 ATI Blue+ be good? 3 Blue+ and 1 Fiji Purple? Thanks in advance!

3 Blue Plus and the Fiji Purple or UVL 75/25 would be my choice.

Is there much of a difference in the actinic plus bulb and the fiji purple bulb. Im running the purple now but not sold on it. My setup is as follows and any suggestions would be appreciated. Would just kinda like a little more of a blue look but not lose on the spectrum. Thanks

Front
Ati blue+
Ati blue+
Fiji purple
Ge daylight
Ati blue+
Ati blue+

Its an ati sunpower and the 2nd and 5th bulb are the dusk/dawn bulbs

Try the Fiji as the front lamp just for giggles, you might like it. You could pull it for a Actinic lamp, ATI UVL Gieseman or whatever and place the actinic in the 2nd slot. That will give you a cool dusk/dawn look and make your full lighting look more blue.

Hey Grim, want to get your opinion on a setup. I am about to buy the ATI sunpower 48" 4 bulb for a 72 bow. Its a softie, lps setup currently but I would like to add a touch of sps and possibly a clam. From bed to waterline is about 21" 20". Is this a good fixture to go with and if so what 4 bulb combo would you suggest for best growth and color. Growth more importantly.

Is this what you would have recommended as the best setup overall, or just based on the 2 options I gave?

That is what I think would go best. Perhaps the UVL Actinic White would be better because it has broader spectrum than the other two but the dusk dawn wouldn't look as subdued.

Hey Grim, want to get your opinion on a setup. I am about to buy the ATI sunpower 48" 4 bulb for a 72 bow. Its a softie, lps setup currently but I would like to add a touch of sps and possibly a clam. From bed to waterline is about 21" 20". Is this a good fixture to go with and if so what 4 bulb combo would you suggest for best growth and color. Growth more importantly.

Should be good, just make sure you don't push a clam out into the bow where it's away from the lights.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

I have an IceCap retro with IceCap SLR and a 660 ballast over a standard 75g tank that is mostly sps. The combo I am running right now is two ATI Aqua Blue Special, one ATI Aqua Blue Plus and one Geissman Actinic.
It is about time to replace the lamps and I was wondering if there is a suggestion for a better combo to get better sps color, specifically reds. Is this an adequate amount of light for the tank or could it benefit from more.
Thanks

I have an IceCap retro with IceCap SLR and a 660 ballast over a standard 75g tank that is mostly sps. The combo I am running right now is two ATI Aqua Blue Special, one ATI Aqua Blue Plus and one Geissman Actinic.
It is about time to replace the lamps and I was wondering if there is a suggestion for a better combo to get better sps color, specifically reds. Is this an adequate amount of light for the tank or could it benefit from more.
Thanks

Do 2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 Aquablue and a UVL Actinic White. More PAR more Actinic and Better reds.

Bump from a previous post :cool:

Looking for advise...I'm happy but I want to change things up a bit since it's time to purchase again. Maybe something a little less white. 48" 4 bulb retro from reefgeek not overdriven.

Current:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

LPS and softies

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back