The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks Grim! The ballast is a 660-009 Revision F. It is the same blue color but no metal heat sink on it. I think 8 bulbs would be the way to go...so if I run 4 x 24 watt bulbs on the 660-009 ballast...does that overdrive to 40 watts per bulb? I was considering getting a hellolights T5 retrokit for the other 4 bulbs...they state 15% overdrive. Any feedback on their kits? Seem like a steal for $200/set of 4! Thanks again!!

You would have the check with Ice Cap about the exact level of overdrive. I don't know anything those retros but a little leary of a cheap ballast that overdrives.

new t5 bulbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i want to replace my bulbs i have a 4 bulb t5 54 w fixture . i have soft corals what is the best bulb combination and brand bulbs?i have a 125gallontank. any input is appreciated thanks

Try 3 ATI Blue Plus and a GE 6500K Daylight.

I have an 18" deep tank with 4x 24" bulbs. I keep a mixed reef and like a good bit of blue in my tank. Here's what's on hand:
4 Blue Plus
2 Giesmann Actinic Plus
1 Giesmann aquablue (11K)
1 Indigo Sun
1 UV Super Actinic
2 GE 6000K

Can you give me a good config for the 4 bulb fixture and also a future 6 bulb arrangement?

Right now I have

Front:
Actinic+
Blue Plus
Indigo Sun
Blue Plus

Try the Midday instead of the Aquablue and see what you think. For 6 I would add another blue plus and the Aquablue back in.

Hi Grim,

I have a 24x24x20 tank with TX5 and currently have one RBTA and couple clams and looking to change the lights. I'm looking for high PAR and around 10-12K. Is the following good? What if I add Fuji in the mix?

Back
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Midday Sun or GE Daylight
UV 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
Front

I would try what you list. There isn't a great deal of difference in the 75/25 and Fiji.

Ok, just trying to figure out, why put the 2 Blue Plus in the rear?
Isn't it best to do a "sandwich" (Blue, White, Blue)?

Because of the way (if memory serve, after 20K posts they tend to run together) the ATI has 2 and 5 as dusk/dawn and you don't want the Aquablue on the dusk/dawn position.

ALso, can anytone tell me the total width required to mount a 24" T5 retro, reflectors are 19" or so, what is the total width when accounting for the endcaps mounted?
Thanks again!

It is slightly less than 24" with the waterproof endcaps, don't remember the exact measurement.

For a retro kit from reefgeek, it looks like the only difference in their retros (not overdriven) is the reflectors:

AquaIllumination Miro-4
IceCap SLR
Sunlight Supply Tek 2

Is there any difference? If so, what?

AI is a little better than Ice Cap which is about 20% better than the Tek.

Grim or someone

i need your help...im buying a sunpower 6 x 24w..for my 34gal...20x20x20

can u recommend a bulb setting please? Im keeping SPS mainly.

Thanks

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

Yo Grim-

What are my lighting options for a 72 long x 18 wide?
There are not many 6 foot fixtures and a canopy is not an option.
The constellation is a little out of my price range plus i believe it is too much light for my tank, i am keeping no colored sticks, the tank is all LPS, zoa's and encrusting monti's and i think it will fry stuff

I love the TEK fixtures but they only make a 5 foot fixture, should i go with the TEK and leave 6 inches without a fixture over it on each end?

a five foot fixture will work. 6 lamp ATI Sunpower would be my choice but the Nova extreme pro 6 foot one would work as would the 60" Tek.

He

He

Because of the way (if memory serve, after 20K posts they tend to run together) the ATI has 2 and 5 as dusk/dawn and you don't want the Aquablue on the dusk/dawn position.

Well, your memory serves you right :)
However, what I meant was, why not use them in front?
As my tank is LPS, most of the corals are on the sand bed, wouldn't their color benefit from the Blue plus's blue light?

I incorporating 2 identical frag tanks(just ordered) into my new rimless build. one will have a 250w mh with 1 powerchrome pure actinic and one kz fiji purple. with a radium 20k on a lightrail the other will have t5's my intent is to see how corals react to different lighting(being in the same system will eliminate all other variables to an extent). I am going to be using the 8 bulb tek light and am trying to come up with a bulb combo. how does this combo sound?2 fiji pink, 2 powerchrome pure actinic, 2(maybe 3 and forget the actinic plus)midday, 1 actinic + and 1 aquablue plus

Hey grim!
I have a 48" current USA Sundial T5 that I want to change out the factory bulbs on. My problem with them is the light is a little too yellow for me. It has 2 10k and 2 actinics. What do you think would make it look and perform better?

Hi Grim,

i am doing a ten tube ati powermodul fixture (using 2 separate powermodule fixtures)
I have the following brand new tubes. its 3 years old stored away in my storeroom.
They are:
1) two Ati blue plus
2)three ati aquablue spezial
3)one Osram t5 tubes -> cluesless on the details.

Well how should i mix my 10 tubes of t5 x 39ws?
how many of the above can i reused? any expiry date on used t5s?

I incorporating 2 identical frag tanks(just ordered) into my new rimless build. one will have a 250w mh with 1 powerchrome pure actinic and one kz fiji purple. with a radium 20k on a lightrail the other will have t5's my intent is to see how corals react to different lighting(being in the same system will eliminate all other variables to an extent). I am going to be using the 8 bulb tek light and am trying to come up with a bulb combo. how does this combo sound?2 fiji pink, 2 powerchrome pure actinic, 2(maybe 3 and forget the actinic plus)midday, 1 actinic + and 1 aquablue plus

If you are trying to match the systems I would use 1 Pure Actinic, 1 Fiji Purple, 1 Midday and 5 Actinic Plus. It should be pretty close to the color of the halide setup. Maybe 2 Fiji Purple 4 Actinic plus with the Pure Actinic and 1 Midday but you want a lot of Blue light to match the 20K Halide.

Hey grim!
I have a 48" current USA Sundial T5 that I want to change out the factory bulbs on. My problem with them is the light is a little too yellow for me. It has 2 10k and 2 actinics. What do you think would make it look and perform better?

2 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Aquablue
1 UVL Actinic White or KZ Fiji Purple

Quick question, should be pretty easy for someone to answer.

2x24 bulbs with Icecap Reflectors should be enough for most corals in a 12" deep tank correct?

Hi Grim,

i am doing a ten tube ati powermodul fixture (using 2 separate powermodule fixtures)
I have the following brand new tubes. its 3 years old stored away in my storeroom.
They are:
1) two Ati blue plus
2)three ati aquablue spezial
3)one Osram t5 tubes -> cluesless on the details.

Well how should i mix my 10 tubes of t5 x 39ws?
how many of the above can i reused? any expiry date on used t5s?

If you haven't been using them they will be fine.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple or UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
Gieseman Midday or GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue GE 6500K Daylight or Giesemann Midday
KZ Fiji Purple or UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Not sure what brands you have available. In the 6th position I have the Aquablue and both daylight lamps listed. If you like a more white look use either the GE or Gieseman lamp. If you like a more blue look the Aquablue. For a really blue look use another Blue Plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back