The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question, should be pretty easy for someone to answer.

2x24 bulbs with Icecap Reflectors should be enough for most corals in a 12" deep tank correct?

As long as they are belo the reflectors. Once you get more than a couple inches front or rear of the reflectors the PAR drops pretty good

As long as they are belo the reflectors. Once you get more than a couple inches front or rear of the reflectors the PAR drops pretty good

The tank is a 20long. Moving a couple of inches in either direction of each reflector/bulb will either put you at the glass or at the other bulb.

Thanks again Grim! What retrofit reflector would you recommend? The Sunlight Supply TEK II T5 Retrofit Reflector, Icecap T5 clip-on reflector??
How far above the water (in a canopy) can you mount a retrofit T5 system?
Thanks!

Thanks again Grim! What retrofit reflector would you recommend? The Sunlight Supply TEK II T5 Retrofit Reflector, Icecap T5 clip-on reflector??
How far above the water (in a canopy) can you mount a retrofit T5 system?
Thanks!

Ice Cap. I would mount the lamps 4 to 6 inches above the water.

Hi Grim I need to replace the bulbs on my 4 bulb 24 inch current fixture on my nano. My question is I like the white look. However I would like my corals to have more of a pop. I do not mind a little blue, but I do not want to blue the tank out. I have Zoas, sps,lps, and the corals range the color spectrum. could you suggest a 4 bulb set up that would make my color pop, and not blue the tank out to much.

Grim -

Two questions:

1. I notice that most (if not all) of your recommendations do not include true actinic bulbs. Do the blue plus bulbs provide all the actinic needed? I do notice that the UV 75/25 bulb is a popular suggestion - does it provide actinic supplementation as well?

2. My understanding is that T5 lighting (using the right bulbs) provides very high PAR levels, maybe higher than most MH bulbs. What is proper coral acclimation procedure when adding new corals to the tank to ensure a healthy new addition?

Hi Grim I need to replace the bulbs on my 4 bulb 24 inch current fixture on my nano. My question is I like the white look. However I would like my corals to have more of a pop. I do not mind a little blue, but I do not want to blue the tank out. I have Zoas, sps,lps, and the corals range the color spectrum. could you suggest a 4 bulb set up that would make my color pop, and not blue the tank out to much.

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

That wont be all that blue and should fluoresce things well.

Grim -

Two questions:

1. I notice that most (if not all) of your recommendations do not include true actinic bulbs. Do the blue plus bulbs provide all the actinic needed? I do notice that the UV 75/25 bulb is a popular suggestion - does it provide actinic supplementation as well?

2. My understanding is that T5 lighting (using the right bulbs) provides very high PAR levels, maybe higher than most MH bulbs. What is proper coral acclimation procedure when adding new corals to the tank to ensure a healthy new addition?

Once all the lights are on it is very hard to tell their is an actinic in the mix yet by using them you give up a lot of PAR the blue plus has. The 75/25 has a lot of actinic in it but is more useful at adding some red an orange spectrum than fluorescing but they do help.

Acclimation depends on the lighting in the tank new arrivals come from. Anything less than 250 watt halides bleaching could be a concern.

Hey Grim,

Why is it when you look at the graph for a 12k bulb it shows more 420nm in the spectrum, but a 14k peaks all at 460nm blue? Also, that graph for the 14k shows nothing in the 420nm range. If you look at the bulb color it looks like the 14k's are more "purple". Does that make sense?

Tks!
Killa

Hey Grim,

Why is it when you look at the graph for a 12k bulb it shows more 420nm in the spectrum, but a 14k peaks all at 460nm blue? Also, that graph for the 14k shows nothing in the 420nm range. If you look at the bulb color it looks like the 14k's are more "purple". Does that make sense?

Tks!
Killa

If you are talking halides the more blue ones (14 and 20K) have a lot more blue than Actinic output. If you look at the graphs the 10K's are putting out more actinic than the blue lamps. Don't know why that is but my guess is that the salts they add to produce the blue light is absorbing more of the lower wavelength light that would otherwise be output from the lamp.

a five foot fixture will work. 6 lamp ATI Sunpower would be my choice but the Nova extreme pro 6 foot one would work as would the 60" Tek.

would the PM be too much light if i am not keeping any sps save encrusting monti's?

do you like the sunpower a lot better than the tek??

thanks again

Hey Grim. I posted a thread in the reef chat section and I was wondering what lighting system would be good for my tank and someone suggested I ask you about T5 lights. I have a 37 gallon reef tank with soft corals and zoanthids. Dimensions are 30'' long, 12'' wide, by 17'' tall. I'd like to keep soft and all stony corals as well as clams. I was thinking metal halides but someone told me T5 would work. I'd prefer a fixture because I have a canopy. (sorry for being so picky) Which would you choose, metal halide or T5 for my case, and if you could what model?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back