The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Grim,
I got my T5 stuff from PA yesterday.

I got a heavy SPS 125.

I ordered a 8 TEK 2 SLR, 4 ATI AB special, 3 Blue +, and a KZ Fiji. 2 IC660 one IC430
But I can only fit 6 over the 125

I wanted ATI reflectors but I did not have the time to wait.

Any way, I talked to reefgeek and the guy said the ATI reflectors really are not meant for retros. and to just stick with 6 TEK reflectors and I will be just fine.

3 AB Special
2 Blue +
1 KZ fiji

Does that sound ok to you?

another option would be to mount 6 above the tank
4 AB special
2 Blue+

And then mount the KZ and another blue + not directly over the tank but aimed towards the tank. But that kinda sounds like a PITA.

Thoughts?
coming from 2x 250w halide I want to keep the SPS happy. I have them gorwing almost all the way down to the sand.

Use the Fiji with a 3/2 mix of blue plus Aquablue. I would try it with 3 Blue Plus and 2 Aquablues but either will look good.

Any suggestions about the few 72" T5 fixtures that are currently on the market?

Tank is 72x24x24...definitely want to go with all t5's

Mixed reef with a few lower light sps

I am a T5 NEWB but I did look at them and my final thoughts were to just do 60". The 72" fixtures double up 36" bulbs. doubling your overall bulb cost. The Constellation used 14 36" bulbs 7 60" is so much cheaper when 36" and 60" bulbs cost the same. Then factor in al the shipping for 14 bulbs...

At least that was my conclusion. And I do not keep any SPS on the outer 6" of the ends of my tank.

Hadn't really thought about the shorter fixture...doesn't sound like too bad an idea

Any thoughts on mounting the unit? at 72" my plan was to use mounting legs and set it directly on the aquarium

Unfortunately, the tank sits in a room with an open ceiling to the second story of the house, so a hanging fixture is out of the question

Thanks.

Hadn't really thought about the shorter fixture...doesn't sound like too bad an idea

Any thoughts on mounting the unit? at 72" my plan was to use mounting legs and set it directly on the aquarium

Unfortunately, the tank sits in a room with an open ceiling to the second story of the house, so a hanging fixture is out of the question

Thanks.

i use the mounting legs for my 72 NEP, they work well but are cheap, so do yourself a favor a buy a extra set or 2 if you go that route.

Found this unit...

http://cgi.ebay.com/72-Aquarium-Lig...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item414a4589f8

Anyone have any experiences? Good or bad?

Thanks

Looks like a catalina aquariums unit I used to have. It did really well for my old FW planted tank, but I wouldn't put it on a reef tank. The reflectors were junk with a capital J. The reflectors are individually contoured for each bulb, but only with 2 bends, can't make a very good parabola with only 3 surfaces to work with

Only 72" T5 fixture I know of that would be adequate for that tank is the Aquactinics Constellation. I would probably go with an 8 lamp 60" ATI Powermodule if it were mine but those are pricey. The Nova only has 6 lamps and isn't the greatest at PAR production. I would use a 60" Tek with 8 lamps before one of those.

Hi Grim -

I asked about 8 months ago on a good bulb combination for a TEK 6 bulb fixture sitting over a 'mixed reef', and you recommended:

Front:
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Blue Plus
GE White (forget real name)
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

It was a good recommendation, but now i'm really looking to maximize my SPS growth. Is this the best spectrum of light for that?

Also, my TEK reflectors have a fair amount of salt spray on it (on a scale of 1 to 10, it's about a 5 as far as overall damage). The unit is only 8 months old. I know it's limiting my PAR, but how badly? Is it wierd to replace reflectors on a TEK that frequently?

Do you still recommend NOT buying the acrylic shield due to heat limitations?

Thanks for your help!

Hey Grim, I will be installing 8 x 36" IceCap retro, so it will be overdriven. My tank is 3' x 2' x 2', what bulb combo should I use for SPS?

Hi Grim -

I asked about 8 months ago on a good bulb combination for a TEK 6 bulb fixture sitting over a 'mixed reef', and you recommended:

Front:
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Blue Plus
GE White (forget real name)
Blue Plus
Blue Plus

It was a good recommendation, but now i'm really looking to maximize my SPS growth. Is this the best spectrum of light for that?

Also, my TEK reflectors have a fair amount of salt spray on it (on a scale of 1 to 10, it's about a 5 as far as overall damage). The unit is only 8 months old. I know it's limiting my PAR, but how badly? Is it wierd to replace reflectors on a TEK that frequently?

Do you still recommend NOT buying the acrylic shield due to heat limitations?

Thanks for your help!

Don't put on the shield, your bulbs will get insanely hot, dropping the par drastically and shortening the life of the bulbs. Try hanging your light a little higher to avoid salt spray. You can also try making a splash shield that won't directly cover the bulbs, but instead hangs several inches below. Similar to this. You can also try replacing the reflectors with aquactinics reflectors. Seems like I read somewhere that they don't corrode as easily as TEK's

2 Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue and 1 UVL Actinic White.

That was a good deal on the ballast and stuff it it is the deal I am thinking you got. Did you get reflectors?

Thanks Grim I have them on order. And yes I think they are the same deal you’re thinking of. It was a drive but well worth it.
No reflectors, what do you recommend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back