The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question

Another question

Thanks for the reply. I can actually get my hands on a tek 4 bulb fixture for pretty cheap would that work or will it be too small?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPStoney
Looking for new bulbs and was wondering what combo would put out the best look.

aquablue
blue plus
actinic white or fiji
blue plus
blue plus

or

blue plus
fiji or actinic white
ge
blue plys
blue plus

I would probably do the second one but either will look good.

Ok cool thanks for the advice. What would you think would work best, the fiji or AW. thanks for all the help!

Hey Grim,
I have an 8 bulb powermodule over my SPS dominant 90 gallon. Which of the following bulbs listed below, and in what order would give me the best color and par? Thanks

4 ATI blue plus
1 ATI aquablue special
1 UVL 75/25
1 UVL acttinic white
1 GE 6500
1 KZ fiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPStoney
Looking for new bulbs and was wondering what combo would put out the best look.

aquablue
blue plus
actinic white or fiji
blue plus
blue plus

or

blue plus
fiji or actinic white
ge
blue plys
blue plus

Ok cool thanks for the advice. What would you think would work best, the fiji or AW. thanks for all the help!

With only 5 lamps I might go with the Fiji, especially if you haven't ran a reddish tinted lamp before.

Hey Grim,
I have an 8 bulb powermodule over my SPS dominant 90 gallon. Which of the following bulbs listed below, and in what order would give me the best color and par? Thanks

4 ATI blue plus
1 ATI aquablue special
1 UVL 75/25
1 UVL acttinic white
1 GE 6500
1 KZ fiji

Front
Aquablue
Blue Plus
75/25
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
Fiji Purple
Blue Plus

Let us know. I prefer the Actinic WHite to the Aquasun because it also adds some actinic but both add red, more than the GE will. Running the GE with the red lamp will tend to wash out some of the pink tint you would normally see, a good thing.

So after reading what you wrote now I'm thinking this is my best bet

1. Aquablue Special -ATI
2. Blue plus - ATI
3. fuji purple
4. Pure Actinic - ATI
5. 6500 k - GE
6. Blue plus -ATI
7. Blue plus - ATI
8. Pure Actinic - ATI
9. Aquablue special - ATI

bulbs in bold would run 6 1/2 hours a day, the bulbs in italics would run 10 hours a day

Does that sound like a good combo, and how about the placement

Someone up here had a 125 with the 6x80 and I think 50/50 blue plus and Aquablue which is probably pretty close to your par and he was getting in the 24's on the sand with Tek II reflectors.

You could try cutting down on the "daylight" mode to like 4 hours and keep dusk/dawn 10 to 12 hours and see how the corals react. SPS shouldn't be getting too much light with the T5's unless it's a fairly new system or you just switched to T5's. .

Thanks Grim,

Is 24 on the sand a good thing or a bad thing :)
Is this a good light configuration for sps and lps then? Or should I pull 2 of the Blue Plus and put in 2 actinics?

Thanks,

Joe

So after reading what you wrote now I'm thinking this is my best bet

1. Aquablue Special -ATI
2. Blue plus - ATI
3. fuji purple
4. Pure Actinic - ATI
5. 6500 k - GE
6. Blue plus -ATI
7. Blue plus - ATI
8. Pure Actinic - ATI
9. Aquablue special - ATI

bulbs in bold would run 6 1/2 hours a day, the bulbs in italics would run 10 hours a day

Does that sound like a good combo, and how about the placement

Nothing wrong with it. Shoot us some pictures once you have it all put together.

Thanks Grim,

Is 24 on the sand a good thing or a bad thing :)
Is this a good light configuration for sps and lps then? Or should I pull 2 of the Blue Plus and put in 2 actinics?

Thanks,

Joe

Sorry, 240's. According to Sanjay Joshi anything over 150 at the sand is a pretty safe bet for an SPS tank. I would go with wha you have and see how it does.

How would this look overall color wise?
4 ATI blue plus
2 Fiji Purple
2 super actinic
with 3 14k Phoenix 250watt hqi MHs?

How would this look overall color wise?
4 ATI blue plus
2 Fiji Purple
2 super actinic
with 3 14k Phoenix 250watt hqi MHs?

Probably a little closer to 20K than 14K but your pink and purple colors will pop because of the fiji lamps so the appearance might not seem all that blue, not like the really blue halides.

Howdy grim, I have been reading this thread and can not find anything on 65 gallon set up. My tank is 36LX18Wx24D, I would like to try to keep almost all types of corals. Can you recommend a T5 set up for my tank please, and the full name of the company that makes the fixture please. I have been very frustrated in looking for the right light with great power. Your recomendation will most likely be my final descion on choice of light. Thank you for reading and you're advice. :))

Hello Grim,

I'm looking for the same thing and have been looking at both the ATI Powermodule 36" 6x39W and the ATI SunPower 36" 6x39W. Could you tell me if these would be good fixtures and if so is the near $200 difference between the two something you'd notice performance wise, or is it mainly aesthetic.

Thanks

Hey Grim, the lights look amazing. They are installed and working great. Everything seems to be doing well except for my muchrooms They are not blooming like the use to on the pc's. Do I need to lower them in the tank? They are up at the middle heigth of the tank. And also I'm only leaving all lights on for about 3 to 4 hours a day right now to get everything acclimated. How long should I leave it this way? I leave the 2 blues on like 20 hrs a day and have no light for 4 hours a day. When should I go back to 8 hours a day of all the lights?

wow this thread is still going...I posted a question a couple years ago. Ok...so I've been out of the loop without having a tank since then. But here is my new idea for a setup

75 gallon, mostly RBTA, few softies. I liked the look my old sps reef had with the actinic T5 and XM 20k...wanting something close in color...maybe a tad more white but not much. Also trying to figure out what kind of fixture/s to get since I'm gonna want 2 actinics to come on seperate on a different timer, then the rest later...what do you suggest. Thanx again for your help

Justin

Hello Grim,

I'm looking for the same thing and have been looking at both the ATI Powermodule 36" 6x39W and the ATI SunPower 36" 6x39W. Could you tell me if these would be good fixtures and if so is the near $200 difference between the two something you'd notice performance wise, or is it mainly aesthetic.

Thanks

The powermodule has about 10% better output. If you are going with a lot of SPS probably be better to go with the powermodule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back