The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Grim, the lights look amazing. They are installed and working great. Everything seems to be doing well except for my muchrooms They are not blooming like the use to on the pc's. Do I need to lower them in the tank? They are up at the middle heigth of the tank. And also I'm only leaving all lights on for about 3 to 4 hours a day right now to get everything acclimated. How long should I leave it this way? I leave the 2 blues on like 20 hrs a day and have no light for 4 hours a day. When should I go back to 8 hours a day of all the lights?

Don't leave the lights on more than 12 hours a day, corals need sleep too :lol2: I would start adding in an hour of daylight each week until you are where you want to be.

IME the schrooms will acclimate but it would be better to lower them down.

wow this thread is still going...I posted a question a couple years ago. Ok...so I've been out of the loop without having a tank since then. But here is my new idea for a setup

75 gallon, mostly RBTA, few softies. I liked the look my old sps reef had with the actinic T5 and XM 20k...wanting something close in color...maybe a tad more white but not much. Also trying to figure out what kind of fixture/s to get since I'm gonna want 2 actinics to come on seperate on a different timer, then the rest later...what do you suggest. Thanx again for your help

Justin

6x54 Tek will work

Front
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus or UVL Super Actinic

I would run the actinic with the blue plus (lamps 1 and 6) rather than 2 actinics, looks better

6 is better for a tank over 15 inches or so front to back.

Outside of the coverage factor, is a quality 4 bulb fixture sufficient for sps and lps? What "not too blue" config would you use Grim? Can you recommend a 36 inch T5HO fixture WITH moonlights? Say in the 300-400 range? Thanks.

Howdy grim,

I guess you missed my last post so I'm replying again. :wavehand:

I have been reading this thread and I can't find anything on 65 gallon set ups. My tank is 36LX18Wx24D. I would like to try to keep most types of corals, mainly softies and LPS.

Can you recommend a T5 setup for my tank please, and the full name of the company that makes the fixture? And would you recommend a 6 or 8 bulb T5 setup?

Thanks for reading and for your advice. :bounce3:

Hey Grim, This year I decided to just go with mostly SPS and ditch most of my Softies and and Anemone.... I will keep all Zoanthids, Acans and a couple Sun Corals on the Bottom of my Sand bed. Also a few Claims, Middle to top of my tank will consist of all SPS Mostly Millis and Caps and Acros.... Just wondering what either 14K or 20K look would be good in T-5 Combo I have 6 bulbs... I was orignally thinking about doing 3 ati blue plus 2 aqua blue specials and 1 fiji purple? Just wondering of this would be a good fit or is there something a little bit better to go with in combo selection...

Let me Know...

Thanks
Frankie

Outside of the coverage factor, is a quality 4 bulb fixture sufficient for sps and lps? What "not too blue" config would you use Grim? Can you recommend a 36 inch T5HO fixture WITH moonlights? Say in the 300-400 range? Thanks.

I no of no fixture I consider high quality that has moonlights.

Get the 4x39 Tek and add your own moonlights

Front
Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue
Blue Plus

Howdy grim, I have been reading this thread and can not find anything on 65 gallon set up. My tank is 36LX18Wx24D, I would like to try to keep almost all types of corals. Can you recommend a T5 set up for my tank please, and the full name of the company that makes the fixture please. I have been very frustrated in looking for the right light with great power. Your recomendation will most likely be my final descion on choice of light. Thank you for reading and you're advice. :))

ATI 6 lamp Sunpower would be good. If you want clams on the sand maybe step up the the ATI Sunpower. Reefgeek sells both, as does Aquarium specialties and a couple others from the sponsors page.

Hey Grim, This year I decided to just go with mostly SPS and ditch most of my Softies and and Anemone.... I will keep all Zoanthids, Acans and a couple Sun Corals on the Bottom of my Sand bed. Also a few Claims, Middle to top of my tank will consist of all SPS Mostly Millis and Caps and Acros.... Just wondering what either 14K or 20K look would be good in T-5 Combo I have 6 bulbs... I was orignally thinking about doing 3 ati blue plus 2 aqua blue specials and 1 fiji purple? Just wondering of this would be a good fit or is there something a little bit better to go with in combo selection...

Let me Know...

Thanks
Frankie

That combo should be fine.

Grim, What would be the best use of my 4 t-5's that suppliment the 10k 250's that I have over my 75? Love the deep blue look but also would like to utilize the t-5's for some coral growth, too. Looking to purchase new bulbs. Right now it has a 460 & 420 (front) & 460 & 420 (rear). All are stock Current bulbs with one year on them.

BTW: it's the Current outer orbit fixture.

One more question Grim, Do you think I need moon lights. I have them On my PC's. But I dont know how I could use them now.

Grim, What would be the best use of my 4 t-5's that suppliment the 10k 250's that I have over my 75? Love the deep blue look but also would like to utilize the t-5's for some coral growth, too. Looking to purchase new bulbs. Right now it has a 460 & 420 (front) & 460 & 420 (rear). All are stock Current bulbs with one year on them.

BTW: it's the Current outer orbit fixture.

Use all ATI Blue Plus lamps. Look good and high PAR

You think maybe I should get and extra Bulb like a Midday 6500K and play around with it... Still wanting to have that coral growth. Or would that combo still give me enough growth?

Combo will have good growth. Never hurts to have a spare lamp to play with.

One more question Grim, Do you think I need moon lights. I have them On my PC's. But I dont know how I could use them now.

You never need moonlights. They are just for looks unless you are trying to track the lunar phase to try to encourage corals to spawn.

Hello !
For 4x bulb T5 fixture what bulb combo should I go for a pinkish color ?
Thanks !

How pink? For a full blown pink color use UVL Actinic Whites. For a planted tank use UVL Aquasuns. For a pink tint to a reef use 2 ATI Blue Plus and 2 UVL Actinic White.

The lights you told me to buy will aid in spawning then right? So here's my plan with the lighting the two blues on for 10-12 hours and in those 10-12 hours have all the lights on together for about 4 hrs and increasing to about 8 when the tank becomes acclimated. Does that sound ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back