The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim, I need your advice.

I currently have a 75 gallon tank (48'' long 20'' deep 18'' wide)
For lighting I have a coralife fixture 2x[250 14K] 2x[96 PC Actinic]

This fixture produces a lot of heat and I don't see a lot of colors popping.

So I've been looking at Sunlight Tek T5 fixtures because I want to decrease the amount of heat in my room and by proxy my tank.

Im keeping sps, and I can't spend a lot. Will this fixture be good to maintain sps/lps?

How many bulbs, 4,6,8?
And what combination of bulbs do you suggest?

Go with the 6x54 Sunpower with a couple lower PAR lamps in it

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus

The 75/25 and super actinic are both lower PAR lamps and should give you a neat purplish dusk/dawn effect.

How would the color turn out if I do a UVL super actinic instead of the GE 6500 daylight?

Would it look very weird if I go 3 blue plus, 2 UVL super actinic and 1 UVL 75/25 because its a 5 to 1 blue ratio?

Im currently running on my NEP 4 current usa 460nm blue and 2 current usa 10k and I think it still needs more flourescent pop with all the lights on.

I was looking for a direction to go for my new 90gal set up I was noticing alot of hype on the t5 set ups. I would be using a retrofit kit and was wondering the pros and cons of the t5 verse the hqi mh. and if so could you please recomind where to purchase a quality kit? thanks for your time.

reefgeek.com sells great kits and is a sponser here. top notch place imho

I am the lonely caretaker of my son's elementary schools 75gal tank and it desperately needs new lights. It currently has a retro kit with 2 Current USA "Smartpac" bulbs (17" 96watt 10,000k plus 460nm actinics) here www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...oduct_Code=PC96W-CU-QSL&Category_Code=PCbulbs
Salt creep gets all over the bulbs and if someone opens the hood all the way the power cord rips the end off the bulbs and they are useless. This happened to two NEW bulbs this summer at a cost of $44 each!
I don't have a budget so need something used and someone is offering this T5 setup (with non stock bulbs)for $125. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=Current-T5
Is it more light than I have now even though it only shows 4 54 watt bulbs (but says 4+2 actinics)? Is it a lighting upgrade and should I get it?
Thanks!!!

Throw another AS 22K and a KZ Fiji Purple in there in place of coral lights and see what you think.

I had a similar set up like that and have a fiji purple laying around. it was used for 4 months previously, think it would still be good to use or should i pick up another one

Hey grim, one of the members said to post this here so you recommend a bulb configuration for my nova extreme so I can keep an anemone.

First off my unit is a nova extreme, 39w X 4 with a reflector over all 4 bulbs, which I know is the bottom the barrell. It still has the stock lighting (2x39W-10,000K Daylight/2x39W-460nm Actinic), which I haven't replaced the bulbs for about 2 years. I eventually want to keep an anemone. This is over a 29 gallon.

1. Can this lighting support an anemone?

2. Any other brand bulb suggestions other than current usa?

Grim, I need your advice.

I currently have a 75 gallon tank (48'' long 20'' deep 18'' wide)
For lighting I have a coralife fixture 2x[250 14K] 2x[96 PC Actinic]

This fixture produces a lot of heat and I don't see a lot of colors popping.

So I've been looking at Sunlight Tek T5 fixtures because I want to decrease the amount of heat in my room and by proxy my tank.

Im keeping sps, and I can't spend a lot. Will this fixture be good to maintain sps/lps?

How many bulbs, 4,6,8?
And what combination of bulbs do you suggest?

6 lamps with an external fan blowing over the top of the fixture from the rear and the Tek will get you by. Don't use the splash shield and keep it about 4" above the tank ad SPS should be OK if they are up on the rocks.

I am the lonely caretaker of my son's elementary schools 75gal tank and it desperately needs new lights. It currently has a retro kit with 2 Current USA "Smartpac" bulbs (17" 96watt 10,000k plus 460nm actinics) here www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...oduct_Code=PC96W-CU-QSL&Category_Code=PCbulbs
Salt creep gets all over the bulbs and if someone opens the hood all the way the power cord rips the end off the bulbs and they are useless. This happened to two NEW bulbs this summer at a cost of $44 each!
I don't have a budget so need something used and someone is offering this T5 setup (with non stock bulbs)for $125. http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...Code=Current-T5
Is it more light than I have now even though it only shows 4 54 watt bulbs (but says 4+2 actinics)? Is it a lighting upgrade and should I get it?
Thanks!!!

Assuming you aren't trying to raise Acros I would get it. Try to get them down on the price so you can re lamp soon.

Hey grim, one of the members said to post this here so you recommend a bulb configuration for my nova extreme so I can keep an anemone.

First off my unit is a nova extreme, 39w X 4 with a reflector over all 4 bulbs, which I know is the bottom the barrell. It still has the stock lighting (2x39W-10,000K Daylight/2x39W-460nm Actinic), which I haven't replaced the bulbs for about 2 years. I eventually want to keep an anemone. This is over a 29 gallon.

1. Can this lighting support an anemone?

2. Any other brand bulb suggestions other than current usa?

get 2 ATI Blue Plus 1 UVL Actinic White and a ATI Aquablue and keep it to a Bulb Tip Anemone.

How would the color turn out if I do a UVL super actinic instead of the GE 6500 daylight?

Would it look very weird if I go 3 blue plus, 2 UVL super actinic and 1 UVL 75/25 because its a 5 to 1 blue ratio?

Im currently running on my NEP 4 current usa 460nm blue and 2 current usa 10k and I think it still needs more flourescent pop with all the lights on.

I would do 1 Super Actinic and 2 75/25 just to add a little more non blue spectrum. It would look pretty much like a bright 20K Halide.

Perhapos it is the combo of 2 10,000K bulbs plus the 6,500K that giave me the algae issies. I have noticed that the combinations you are using are much heavier in the bue end of the spectrum than what my personal eye likes.

Sometimes this is is an issue because you are tryng to balance out three seperate factors.
1. Growth
2. Color
3. Personal eye preference.

Some observations I have noticed is that when you do have a lighting with a higher concentration of blue light the corals seem to radiate there colors much better. It does create more snap to the colors.

Also many corals grow faster with a considerable amount of red lighting. Even in fresh water tanks the more red light the more you had watch everything else to keep algea under control. With most bulbs the lower the Color Temperature is the mre it is shifted to the red end and the higher it is the more it is shifted to the UV or blue end end.

Then the individual personal preference in lighting. Now We originaly had mainly 3,200K ambient lighting in our rooms. With this room lighting the tank always seemed to look too blue for me. Therefore I put in less blue and more lower color temp bulbs. But since we switched to the 6,500K Compacts in our room lighting the tank lost that bluish hue and is actualy starting to look slightly yellow to me.

Hopefully when I switch out one of my 10,000Ks for a bulb with more blue in it this will also give me crisper colors without decreasing coral growth noticably.

Dennis

I never had algae problems I could attribute to running the GE lamps.

That is actually the fixture I'm using on my 120 gallon. It is a good fixture in my mind for its price. The difference is that some of the more expensive 6 bulb fixtures do have slightly better designed reflectors upping there effeciency. however I do like the fact that 8 bulbs you do have a little extra room to play with different bulb combinations allowing more fine tuning.

If you have a 120 gallon I would say it is not overkill. But for a 75 gallon or even a 90 gallon t moght be playing with that max boaderline condition. But remember you can also play with the lenght of you on cycle to compensate in need be to some extent.

Would the Tek 8x54watts be too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back