The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754678#post15754678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jaybfresh
Wow this is a big thread! I want to switch over from 2x250 halide to t5 on my 72x18x18 tank. Getting more into SPS and 2 halides over 6 feet ain't cutting it.

Is a 6x80w retro good? Too much for my tank? Also, what bulbs would you recommend to get a blue similar to Phoenix 14k bulbs?

Thanks!

6x80 would be good. Try 3 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue, KZ Fiji Purple and a GE 6500K Daylight.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754730#post15754730 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dieselab
Grim, what's the advantage of adding a 6500k over something like the ATI aquablue?

Broader spectrum

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15755361#post15755361 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jkhudson
I've got a 150 gal tank that is 29" deep I'm using 2 400w mh's with 4 48" T-5's and I want to switch to all T-5's because the water just gets too warm and I can't afford a chiller. If I go to 6 T-5's will it give me enough light for sps? Also what "K" bulbs would give the best lighting for monti's?

If you overdrive them on Ice Cap 660 ballasts. Use 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and a GE 6500K Daylight. If you can fit 8 add another blue plus and a ATI Aquablue.

12 lamp fixture

12 lamp fixture

Grim,

I would greatly appreciate your advice on bulb set up. I have a twelve lamp T5 fixture.

The tank is primarily SPS with some Acans on the sand in the front.

The SPS coloration runs full gamut with predominate blues, purples, some neon yellows and neon greens. The Acans are rainbow, red, green, orange...

Is that enough info for a recommendation?

Thanks

Jon

Hi Grim,

Any info on the slimpaq 14 watt T5HO from current?

Looking at doing a lighting mod on a BC29 and would like to go T5HO if I can find a decent tube and do a retro in the stock hood.

Thanks!

Grim, Rather back to basic questions perhaps many can benefit from: Do T5s give more par per watt than VHOs? How many T5s would it take to replace 480watts (3 six foot bulbs) of VHO? Do we save on our energy bill with T5s? Are there any other advantages with T5s over VHO besides the larger variety of bulbs. Thanks so much, Gerard

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15755396#post15755396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
6x80 would be good. Try 3 ATI Blue Plus, 1 ATI Aquablue, KZ Fiji Purple and a GE 6500K Daylight.

Thanks very much for the response. Would I still be best off overdriving a 6x80w retro over a 72x18x18 tank, or will I be fine with a 'regular' ballast?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15755396#post15755396 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer

grim what order would you place those bulbs i have the same bulbs?

What is the closest that I could put an ATI Sunpower to the water surface on a 25 in high mixed reef with lots of sps?

Thanks,
Chris

hey grim----> please help me
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15754228#post15754228 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stonedage
i have a 4 bulb t5 retro w/ ic660 adding an other 2bulb retro so i can add abit of dusk dawn lighting, what wold the best lay out be? im replacing all 6 bulbs at once, where shold the 2 bulbs be for the dusk dawn effect? system is mainly sps and zoas. what bulbs should i buy? will i need 2 fans to cool the lights now or will one 3" be enough?
thanks

Re: 12 lamp fixture

Re: 12 lamp fixture

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756322#post15756322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JonSadowsky
Grim,

I would greatly appreciate your advice on bulb set up. I have a twelve lamp T5 fixture.

The tank is primarily SPS with some Acans on the sand in the front.

The SPS coloration runs full gamut with predominate blues, purples, some neon yellows and neon greens. The Acans are rainbow, red, green, orange...

Is that enough info for a recommendation?

Thanks

Jon

Try 8 ATI Blue Plus, 2 UVL Actinic White and 2 GE 6500K Daylights.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756474#post15756474 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vlepouce
Hi Grim,

Any info on the slimpaq 14 watt T5HO from current?

Looking at doing a lighting mod on a BC29 and would like to go T5HO if I can find a decent tube and do a retro in the stock hood.

Thanks!

I really no nothing about them but the other current lamps I tested are not exactly overpowering PAR wise but look good.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756513#post15756513 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gerard V
Grim, Rather back to basic questions perhaps many can benefit from: Do T5s give more par per watt than VHOs? How many T5s would it take to replace 480watts (3 six foot bulbs) of VHO? Do we save on our energy bill with T5s? Are there any other advantages with T5s over VHO besides the larger variety of bulbs. Thanks so much, Gerard

A 5 foot 80 watt T5 will put out more PAR than a 75 watt 36" VHO, The T5 also covers two more feet of length.

An Ice Cap 660 will run 3 80 watt lamps using around 303 watts. It would more than replace the VHO's except its only covering 5 feet insteat of six. With good reflectors you are talking a whole lot more PAR along that 5 feet though.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756557#post15756557 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jaybfresh
Thanks very much for the response. Would I still be best off overdriving a 6x80w retro over a 72x18x18 tank, or will I be fine with a 'regular' ballast?

Regular ballasts would work but end up costing you more than the Ice Caps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15756873#post15756873 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by boxer385
grim what order would you place those bulbs i have the same bulbs?

Front
BP
Fiji
BP
GE
Aquablue
BP

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15757079#post15757079 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crigsby
What is the closest that I could put an ATI Sunpower to the water surface on a 25 in high mixed reef with lots of sps?

Thanks,
Chris

You can sit it right on the tank frame if you want.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15757409#post15757409 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stonedage
hey grim----> please help me

I'd place the dusk dawn as the first and last lamps.

Place your lamps so all the labels are at one end and have the fan blowing in from the back at that end to cool the endcaps/lamp ends

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

That will look very 14K like despite all the blue lamps. When overdriving they look bright.

Grimm, do you think a 10 bulb 60" ATI Powermodule could cover a 72"x40"x24" tank? My rocks will be 6" away from the glass on all sides so the light really needs to cover a 60"x28" area. I want to hang one fixture, not two 6 bulb fixtures. Will this be enough light for acro's? If I can't use the 10 bulb I was thinking about a 12 bulb Aqua Illumination Miro-4 retrofit with universal ballasts. How high should I raise the fixture? I don't want to burn my Acan's. THANKS!

Grimm, do you think a 10 bulb 60" ATI Powermodule could cover a 72"x40"x24" tank? My rocks will be 6" away from the glass on all sides so the light really needs to cover a 60"x28" area. I want to hang one fixture, not two 6 bulb fixtures. Will this be enough light for acro's? If I can't use the 10 bulb I was thinking about a 12 bulb Aqua Illumination Miro-4 retrofit with universal ballasts. How high should I raise the fixture? I don't want to burn my Acan's. THANKS!

Hmmmm, 10 lamps would be around 20" of reflector area. Honestly hanging 2 6 lamp fixtures would be best.
If you do the retrofit keep it 4 to 6 inches above the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back