The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim, I am thinking about switching to two 250w Ushio 20K bulbs, I currently have two 250w Phoenix 14K bulbs. I am using one ATI Blue Plus and one UVL Super Actinic. I want more blue in the tank so I'm going to try the 20K Ushio's. Would a good T5 combo be one KZ Fiji Purple and one ATI Blue Plus? This is how my lights are set up. I was thinking of putting the Fiji Purple in the front and the ATI Blue Plus in the back. Right now I have the UVL Super Actinic in the front and the ATI Blue Plus in the back. I don't want to lose the red and pink "pop" by switching to the 20K bulb so I was hoping the Fiji Purple could help with that. What would you suggest?
Light1-1.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15708444#post15708444 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Rickyrooz1
Grim, I am thinking about switching to two 250w Ushio 20K bulbs, I currently have two 250w Phoenix 14K bulbs. I am using one ATI Blue Plus and one UVL Super Actinic. I want more blue in the tank so I'm going to try the 20K Ushio's. Would a good T5 combo be one KZ Fiji Purple and one ATI Blue Plus? This is how my lights are set up. I was thinking of putting the Fiji Purple in the front and the ATI Blue Plus in the back. Right now I have the UVL Super Actinic in the front and the ATI Blue Plus in the back. I don't want to lose the red and pink "pop" by switching to the 20K bulb so I was hoping the Fiji Purple could help with that. What would you suggest?
Light1-1.jpg

Sounds like a plan. If you don't think the Fiji/Blue Plus combo gives you enough red go with an UVL Actinic White instead of the fiji next time.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic White
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
Blue Plus

Grim... you said above that is one of the best bulb combos you have ever seen... do you know where I can see a picture of this???

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15711708#post15711708 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
This is the only shot I have that I think was from that combo, its a crappy picture

actinicpics004.jpg

Grim Q?
I use reeflux 20k and I need to replace my current usa actinic 460. should I go with ATI blue plus or giesemann actinic + or if you have any suggestion will be appreciated

Thanks, Grim... that looks awesome! Was that your tank? How did the move go and when will you get your tank back up?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712192#post15712192 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by naldopr
Grim Q?
I use reeflux 20k and I need to replace my current usa actinic 460. should I go with ATI blue plus or giesemann actinic + or if you have any suggestion will be appreciated

Either of those two lamps would be fine, I like the ATI better but the Giesemanns look good too. The Current lamps looks good, at least when new but just has low PAR. If the current lamp is new don't expect a big difference in color.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712458#post15712458 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jennmac415
Thanks, Grim... that looks awesome! Was that your tank? How did the move go and when will you get your tank back up?

Still not completely moved. Traded that tank for a couple guns. Have a RR 120 acrylic thats going to be the new tanko de grimmo.

I just purchased a Tek 6 bulb 48" fixture for my 90 Gallon

The guy on Reef Geeks recommended:
4 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 GE 6,500k

I wanted a blue light, not TOO blue, but I also wanted a light that will bring out reds slightly, as well have have effect on Zoas that makes them appear to glow slightly. Do you think his selection is right for what I want? Keep in mind I want a tank that is not too dark. I want to see a range of colors other than Blue.

Ok, I've got a VERY temporary light for my dry 40 breeder setup (going up in a week or so). First SW tank so I'm at a loss for bulbs. If you asked me about freshwater planted tanks and what bulbs to get I'd be fine!

I plan on doing 4x39 T5s inside my canopy with a DIY LED "spotlight" to get the point source lighting effect. I'm stuck between getting the sunlight supply retrofit kit from reefgeek and the ATI sunpower fixture.

The sunlight supply has the Tek reflectors and no housing which I imagine would help with cooling inside of a canopy (I plan on mounting a fan or two in there)

ATI apparently has a great reputation, but I'm not sure why. I've only just heard about them last week and the sunpower will run me about $100 more after bulbs.

Which set would you get for a 40 breeder, and then what bulbs? I want a BTA and various leathers/polyps/lps eventually... will start out with just fish at first. So I guess I'm looking for an all around set since I don't have specific coral requirements yet. I'm pretty confident the 4x39 will do me fine in terms of output, but I'm clueless for spectrum in saltwater. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

4 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 GE 6,500k

I wanted a blue light, not TOO blue, but I also wanted a light that will bring out reds slightly, as well have have effect on Zoas that makes them appear to glow slightly. Do you think his selection is right for what I want? Keep in mind I want a tank that is not too dark. I want to see a range of colors other than Blue.

BUMP

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712674#post15712674 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoulFish

4 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 GE 6,500k

Should be good for what you are looking for. You shouldn't notice red from the Fiji lamp but it will be enough to make red colors pop.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712810#post15712810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by forrestcook
Ok, I've got a VERY temporary light for my dry 40 breeder setup (going up in a week or so). First SW tank so I'm at a loss for bulbs. If you asked me about freshwater planted tanks and what bulbs to get I'd be fine!

I plan on doing 4x39 T5s inside my canopy with a DIY LED "spotlight" to get the point source lighting effect. I'm stuck between getting the sunlight supply retrofit kit from reefgeek and the ATI sunpower fixture.

The sunlight supply has the Tek reflectors and no housing which I imagine would help with cooling inside of a canopy (I plan on mounting a fan or two in there)

ATI apparently has a great reputation, but I'm not sure why. I've only just heard about them last week and the sunpower will run me about $100 more after bulbs.

Which set would you get for a 40 breeder, and then what bulbs? I want a BTA and various leathers/polyps/lps eventually... will start out with just fish at first. So I guess I'm looking for an all around set since I don't have specific coral requirements yet. I'm pretty confident the 4x39 will do me fine in terms of output, but I'm clueless for spectrum in saltwater. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

If you are only doing 4 lamps get the sunpower. Make sure the air intake on top of the fixture and exhaust vents on the one end are not blocked. The sunpower has a splash shield so you can sit it right inside the canopy right on the tank if you want, with the retro you have to have the lamps high enough that salt spray isn't an issue,

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15712936#post15712936 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SoulFish

4 Blue Plus
1 Fiji Purple
1 GE 6,500k

BUMP

A bump after less than an hour?

LOL....patience Grasshopper...

Grim, do you think that the actinic white bulb shows up reds/pinks/ better or the fiji purple?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15713308#post15713308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
A bump after less than an hour?

:lol: :rollface: :lol:

You've got everyone here spoiled.

BTW, I got those bulbs on the way that you suggested from reefgeek and will also be attempting to tear apart my light fixture and retro fit it under my canopy. I'll let you know how it goes with the light combo.

Actinic white
blue +
blue+
blue +

I did also get an aquablue to try out in there as well. Thanks for everything you've done with this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back