The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my setup up on grims recommendation. 10x54. 4 bulbs are being over driven by IC 660. All other bulbs are in a NEP 6x54 fixture.

I already had 2 blue plus bulbs and 2 UVL super actinics. Looks a little purple in person. Im not loving it, but seems to be ok. Dont mind the cyno, tank is less than 2 months old. But it really stands out now.

front to back
UVL 75/25
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
GE 6500k
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
UVL 75/25
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus

DSC00842.jpg

Quick question to anyone about LEDs and ATI SunPower fixtures... Does the SunPower have the LEDs or is that an additional addon? If it's separate, then any recommendations on LEDs to go with this fixture? Or does this fixture have its own shimmer effect?

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15716027#post15716027 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ttj
Hi Grim, I am using a Current Nova Extreme fixture with 6*54w T5 bulbs over 90g mixed reef. I have some Q's for you
1. Is it enough light?
2. How often do I change T5 bulbs if I run them 6-8 hours a day? 3. Is my combo as below good for coral growth and appearance?

Front
ATI Blue+
UVL Actinic White (50/50)
ATI Blue+
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue+
ATI Aquablue

Thank You very much.

About once a year on lamp changes. Combo is fine. You have enough light for lps and softies with a few SPS up on the rocks.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15716525#post15716525 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by killagoby
Grim,

I have the 2 ATI Blue + and 2 ATI Aquablue coming in the mail today. I have 2 T5 banks in the front of my light, then 150w 14K Phoenix MH bulbs in the middle, and 2 more T5 banks in the rear of my light. What order should I place the bulbs from front to back?

Thanks,
Killa

Blue plus
Aquablue
Halide
Aquablue
Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15716586#post15716586 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SpankythePyro
Grim,

Solana (20x20x20)

Ati Sunpower/powermodule - should I get 4 or 6 bulb?

Also what bulbs should I get to keep sps in the upper/middle & lps in the lower half of the tank?

I want to make the colors pop but I don't want the thing to look like blue led moonlights all the time.

Thanks!

6 lamps. Do 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 GE 6500K Daylight and a UVL Actinic White.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15717197#post15717197 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by returnofsid
Hi Grim,
Setting up a 40 breeder, frag tank, predominately SPS and Zoanthids. We have 2 lighting options on used fixtures.
#1 6 bulb Tek5 local.
#2 4 bulb ATI Powermodule.

The ATI would only cost us about $80.00 more than the Tek5, but 2 less bulbs. Any opinions or an explanation as to why we should buy one over the other? Currently, I'm leaning towards the Tek5, because of the extra 2 bulbs.....BUT, is there something I'm not considering?

Tek. Tank is short so you don't need the punch but with the 18" footprint the extra 2 lamps will be a big help covering the whole area.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15717706#post15717706 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by teog
Here is my setup up on grims recommendation. 10x54. 4 bulbs are being over driven by IC 660. All other bulbs are in a NEP 6x54 fixture.

I already had 2 blue plus bulbs and 2 UVL super actinics. Looks a little purple in person. Im not loving it, but seems to be ok. Dont mind the cyno, tank is less than 2 months old. But it really stands out now.

front to back
UVL 75/25
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus
GE 6500k
UVL super actinic
ATI blue plus
UVL 75/25
ATI blue plus
ATI blue plus

DSC00842.jpg

Take the 75/25 out of the front and swap it with the position of one of the Blue Pluses and see if that is more to your liking.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718156#post15718156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CincyGida
Quick question to anyone about LEDs and ATI SunPower fixtures... Does the SunPower have the LEDs or is that an additional addon? If it's separate, then any recommendations on LEDs to go with this fixture? Or does this fixture have its own shimmer effect?

Thanks

No LED's with the ATI fixture as of yet. Not even sure there would be a way to add them unless you mounted them on the front or rear edge of the fixture.

Grim.....

How high should a T5 lighting set be off the tank??

More specifically...How high should my 6x80w overdriven with 2 IC-660's and Aqua Illumination Reflectors be mounted over my 125g(72"x18"x21.5").

I'm concerned that I'm not getting enough light, but I'm not sure. I started with them at 10" and slowly lowered them down to 6", but my zoanthids are still losing their colors and growth of my SPS isn't what it should be. Colors of my SPS are good. My zoas are on the bottom and my SPS are from mid-level to high in the tank. I even went as far as removing the acrylic I put over my retro fit to help with salt creep to try and increase output.

Is 3"- 4" too low?
Do I possibly have too much light and need to move them up??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718202#post15718202 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
About once a year on lamp changes. Combo is fine. You have enough light for lps and softies with a few SPS up on the rocks.

Grim,
You're da man. Thank You very much for your advices. I am going to change my bulbs soon.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15718672#post15718672 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tas5tas
Grim.....

How high should a T5 lighting set be off the tank??

More specifically...How high should my 6x80w overdriven with 2 IC-660's and Aqua Illumination Reflectors be mounted over my 125g(72"x18"x21.5").

I'm concerned that I'm not getting enough light, but I'm not sure. I started with them at 10" and slowly lowered them down to 6", but my zoanthids are still losing their colors and growth of my SPS isn't what it should be. Colors of my SPS are good. My zoas are on the bottom and my SPS are from mid-level to high in the tank. I even went as far as removing the acrylic I put over my retro fit to help with salt creep to try and increase output.

Is 3"- 4" too low?
Do I possibly have too much light and need to move them up??

You should have more than enough light on a 21 inch tall tank. I would maybe move the lights back up for a while and see if it improves.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15719392#post15719392 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by stealle
what is the best pure actinic (420nm) T5 bulb? As far output and making corals pop?

Depends on your taste. If you like the more pure violet the Giesemann Pure Actinic. If you like a little blue light in the actinic the ATI Or UVL Super Actinic.

Grim,

I know I have asked you this before but I need to be sure. What puts out more par 3x80w or 3x54w on the icecap 660. I have enough room to add 3 bulb and I just want to make the right choice.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15719678#post15719678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Txcowboy22
Grim,

I know I have asked you this before but I need to be sure. What puts out more par 3x80w or 3x54w on the icecap 660. I have enough room to add 3 bulb and I just want to make the right choice.

In my experience I got more from the 54 watt lamps. The wattage numbers from Ice Cap seem to confirm that finding as well. 54 watt increases to 85, 80watt lamps increase to 100.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15715810#post15715810 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Not sure what you are asking.

i using t5ho list

front

ATI blue +
UVL 454
ICECAP actinic
KZ 14000K
KZ FIJI Furple
ATI actinic
UVL actinic white 12000K
ATI blue +

it is the best or not ??

any good idea for t5ho X 8 , for keep SPS and little acan , LPS

thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15719878#post15719878 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Txcowboy22
so I can use 3 48'' and get more par and save on the 60 extra watts?

I don't see why not. You just wont be covering a long an area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back