The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No on the 660. With what you got I would run 4 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic WHite and a GE 6500K Daylight.

Thanks for you help. For dusk/dawn setting, should I start with 2 ATI blue plus first?

Front to Back
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Actinic WHite
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

Hey grim, you certainly do answer a lot of questions. Hoping you can answer mine, and really appreciate you doing this for us.

I am setting up a 20 gallon, I just purchased the 4-bulb aquaticlife t-5 fixture. It comes with 2 420/460 nm actinics, and 2 700+nm bulbs. I know that the nm rating refers to the visible light spectrum, but having a little trouble figuring out why there would be no heat ratings? Everything I have seen has combined 10,000/12,000K bulbs and 420/460 actinics. Without going too indepth(i do understand quite a bit electrically by trade) could you explain the differences and pros/cons of leaving this way.

I have painted my tank blue, so I think that less actinics would be required to get the "blue" effect. Thinking of doing 1-10,000K, 1-12,000K, 1-420/460 actinic, and if I like it, leaving 1 of the 700+nm bulbs. Would all this work with this fixture if I stay with the balast wattage?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

Dear Light God (aka as Grim!)

Got a suggestion to go 3 ATI aqua blue specials and 1 ATI blue plus for a 4 bulb combo for a 20 gal long frag tank. Thoughts?

Much thanks!

hey Grim I have a 660 and some workhorse ballasts and I need help planning my lighting. I would like good growth and my colors to pop. I plan on a mixed reef. Lots of zoas and some lps and sps. The tank is 36X24X24(ISH). bulb combo and how many lights would be great thanks.

Is it true you are not a fan of actinic bulbs, Grim? I was going to do the 3 blue plus and 1 UVL super actinic as you suggested, but if you think the actinic is too low PAR for a 4 bulb fixture let me know. What four bulbs would closely emulate the coloration of a blue plus and super actinic together? I have a spare aquablue and Fiji Purple...

Grim:
My colors are not as vibrant as I think they could be. I've read some posts where others saw better coloration by shortening their photo period. Currently, on my 180g I have an Aquactinics Contellation fixture with 14 39w bulbs. My bulb arrangement is:
FRONT
Row1: ATI Blue +
Row2: ATI Aquablue Special
Row3: ATI Blue +
Row4: ULV Super Actinic
Row5: KZ Figi Purple
Row6: ATI Blue +
Row7: ATI Blue +

My photo period is:
10:30 am Row 1,4,7 ON
1:00 pm Row 3,5 ON
3:00 pm Row 2,6 ON
8:00pm Row 2,6 OFF
9:00 pm Row 3,5 OFF
9:30 pm Row 1,4,7 OFF

Is my photo period too long? Do you think the bulb combination is will be good for my SPS?

Hey grim, you certainly do answer a lot of questions. Hoping you can answer mine, and really appreciate you doing this for us.

I am setting up a 20 gallon, I just purchased the 4-bulb aquaticlife t-5 fixture. It comes with 2 420/460 nm actinics, and 2 700+nm bulbs. I know that the nm rating refers to the visible light spectrum, but having a little trouble figuring out why there would be no heat ratings? Everything I have seen has combined 10,000/12,000K bulbs and 420/460 actinics. Without going too indepth(i do understand quite a bit electrically by trade) could you explain the differences and pros/cons of leaving this way.

I have painted my tank blue, so I think that less actinics would be required to get the "blue" effect. Thinking of doing 1-10,000K, 1-12,000K, 1-420/460 actinic, and if I like it, leaving 1 of the 700+nm bulbs. Would all this work with this fixture if I stay with the balast wattage?

Thanks so much for your help in advance.

The correct way to express fluorescent color is the wave length. I don't remember the exact explanation but it has to do with it being an emitted light rather than radiated like a metal halide.

As far as the blue background it isn't going to make a huge difference. One advantage of the blue lamps is they give you fluorescence and PAR where the 420 actinic just fluoresces. I like at least 2 blue lamps with one of the reddish daylights UVL makes with either an Aquablue or if you prefer a more 10K look GE 6500K daylight.

Dear Light God (aka as Grim!)

Got a suggestion to go 3 ATI aqua blue specials and 1 ATI blue plus for a 4 bulb combo for a 20 gal long frag tank. Thoughts?

Much thanks!

I'd do 2 & 2 but any combination of the lamps will work. Personally I would do the 2 blue plus with 2 GE 6500K Daylights. Broader spectrum and the GE lamps cost less.

hey Grim I have a 660 and some workhorse ballasts and I need help planning my lighting. I would like good growth and my colors to pop. I plan on a mixed reef. Lots of zoas and some lps and sps. The tank is 36X24X24(ISH). bulb combo and how many lights would be great thanks.

I'd do 2 Blue Plus on a Workhorse as your first and last lamps then do a UVL Actinic White, ATI Blue Plus, GE 6500K Daylight, ATI Blue Plus in that order on the 660

Answers by Grim

Answers by Grim

Any chance we can just rename this thread, "Answers by Grim"? :lol: Thanks for all the time and knowledge you are willing to share.

Is it true you are not a fan of actinic bulbs, Grim? I was going to do the 3 blue plus and 1 UVL super actinic as you suggested, but if you think the actinic is too low PAR for a 4 bulb fixture let me know. What four bulbs would closely emulate the coloration of a blue plus and super actinic together? I have a spare aquablue and Fiji Purple...

Try it and see what you think. I just think the Blue Plus do enough that the actinic isn't worth it in most cases. They do look cool as part of the dusk/dawn setup. If you are looking for a nice subdued look try 3 blue plus and the UVL 75/25 which is an actinic lamp spiked with daylight phosphores. It give a pink tint that will brighten up the tank and make pink or purple colors in the tank show up

Grim:
My colors are not as vibrant as I think they could be. I've read some posts where others saw better coloration by shortening their photo period. Currently, on my 180g I have an Aquactinics Contellation fixture with 14 39w bulbs. My bulb arrangement is:
FRONT
Row1: ATI Blue +
Row2: ATI Aquablue Special
Row3: ATI Blue +
Row4: ULV Super Actinic
Row5: KZ Figi Purple
Row6: ATI Blue +
Row7: ATI Blue +

My photo period is:
10:30 am Row 1,4,7 ON
1:00 pm Row 3,5 ON
3:00 pm Row 2,6 ON
8:00pm Row 2,6 OFF
9:00 pm Row 3,5 OFF
9:30 pm Row 1,4,7 OFF

Is my photo period too long? Do you think the bulb combination is will be good for my SPS?

I think the photoperiod should be fine. You might try swapping in a GE daylight for the Aquablue and see what you think.

Thanks a lot for your advice Grim! I guess I'll just have to try out a bunch of different combos to see what pleases my eye :)

i have read and read over this thread and still at a loss of what to replace my 48" nova extreme pro bulbs with.my tank is mixed(some softies,lps and have a few sps)and want better growth and color out of my corals any suggestions you can give me grim reefer would be greatly appreciated.

Grim, is it feasible for you to spec out some generic combos for 4, 6, and 8 bulb configs?
Say 10k, 14k and 20k configs for each. Something that could be an easy reference for everyone as a starting point with T5s.

I'm currently running (3) Blue+ and a Actinic Wht in a 24" Nova Extreme (SLR style, modded with fan) over a 10g nano. I'm looking to get close to the color of a 20k Radium possibly. I'm thinking of going with a Fiji Purple in place of the Actinic Wht. Where do you think that would place me color temp wise? Also, do you think this may be too much light over a 10g? I do have some SPS and the wife just had to get her maxima. I feel a few of my SPS are pale and may be bleaching. So I have moved them to the sand bed at this point.

Thanks Grim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back