The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, yet another question for Grim:
I have a very large reef tank, 8' x 36" x 30"H Currently running MH lighting. Would T5's be enough to penetrate down 27" of water to the sand bed? If so, how many bulbs would you recommend? I keep SPS near the top, clams and LPS on the sand now...
If this has already been asked, I am sorry...but the thread is soooo long!
Thansks!~!

2 48" ATI Powermodules would be good. 10 lamp versions if you are doing clams on the sand.

That was quick! One more if you don't mind...

That was quick! One more if you don't mind...

Reefgeek is out of the actinic white, is there another I can purchase instead?

They claim the icecap 12000k is exactly the same?

Thanks

Hi Grim,
Iam getting ready to replace my bulbs -48"-4 bulb ati fixture.

WhenI first ordered you recommended
blue plus
aqua blue
pro color
blue plus
The color was great but alittle dim
I was thinking of trying same combo but switching the procolor for a ge 3oook but wanted to get your thoughts?
thank you -Graves

Grim, Holy Cow! Read all 76 pages; got three pages of great notes, but unfortunately didn't find the answer to all my questions. You are a font of great info - thanks in advance for your time.

Setting up a frag system consisting of two 33 x-tra long tanks (4' long, 12" deep, 12" wide). Each tank will have a 4" DSB. Currently have a two bulb Current Nova Extreme for one of the tanks.

1. What is the best two bulb combo for a frag tank growing primarily zoas and ricordia (want to maintain and show good color, but get good growth).

Second tank currently has no light fixture.

1. Can you recommend a good fixture or DIY set-up for this size/depth of tank?

2. Are two t5s enough or should I consider a four bulb fixture?

3. Best bulb combo?

TIA

I am setting up my first tank, it will be a 6 x 2 x 2 zoas garden.
I have a 8 x 80w T5 unit.

I was thinking of running

2 x 6000K
2 x 11000K
2 x Blue Plus
2 x Fiji Purple

After looking at this thread I have noticed that most people run a lot more blue globes.
Would mine be too white? and are most people sacrificing growth for color?

Would I be better off with

2 x 6000K
4 x Blue Plus
2 x Fiji Purple

Or can you suggesr something better.

Thanks in advance.

Grant.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

I'd do 2 of the Blue Plus for dusk dawn.

Thanks for the advice Grim. I used this setup and lets just say, it was a little too blue for my taste. Felt sorta like a smurf. I changed out the Blue Plus in the first slot to an AquaBlue. That calmed the blue hue down. Would you have any other ideas to offer that may be better than an AquaBlue or BluePlus in the front. What about another daylight or perhaps an Actinc? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Im setting up a 24"x24"x12" frag tank with a 4 bulb fixture. It will be mainly lps.

Can someone give me a recommendation which bulbs to use? I don't want to bright at all (these are all low light corals), I want my lps to florescence the most. Thanks!

Would there be any alternatives, these seem very expensive at $900 for a fixture without any bulbs...
Thanks!
Would also consider a DIY option.

2 8x54 watt Ice Cap retros. You could probably get away with overdriving 4 rows with 2 660's and run 4 rows on standard ballasts.

Hi Grim,
Iam getting ready to replace my bulbs -48"-4 bulb ati fixture.

WhenI first ordered you recommended
blue plus
aqua blue
pro color
blue plus
The color was great but alittle dim
I was thinking of trying same combo but switching the procolor for a ge 3oook but wanted to get your thoughts?
thank you -Graves

Do thye UVL Actinic White instead, you get the red plus actinic and lots of PAR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back