The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Grim, I'm currently running 3 blue plus and an aquablue, but really like the color of 3 blue plus and a UVL super actinic. Would I be sacrificing a lot of PAR switching out the aquablue for the UVL? I have a 4 bulb sunpower over a pretty small tank, which is 17" deep. All of my SPS are within 12" of the water's surface (one or two down at 14"), and the light is about 8" over the water at this time.

so I have a L55''xw24''xh24'' sps dominated aquarium. At the moment I'm running LED's but I want to change to T5. I've been thinking about the ATI sunpower 6x54w. Do you think thats enough light?

Also, if I buy the fixture I get a deal on ATI bulbs, can you suggest a good bulb config. I have access to KZ bulbs and Giessmann but they are more expensive.

Thanks

If your LED's are anything like most the sunpower will be more powerful but on a 24 inch tank front to back I would like 8 lamps but as long as you are careful where you place the high light critters it should be fine.

Front
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

I am new to t5 fixtures. I traded a MH fixture for a TEK 6 bulb T5 fixture. I notice some of the bulbs flicker before they come on. the others on a different switch come on right away. Is it because the bulbs are old or is there a problem with the ballast?

Thanks

I would lean more towards the ballast. May or may not be a big problem. You can swap the lamps around to rule that out as a problem. If you pull all the lamps and the reflector you can see how big of a pain a ballast change would be. If you can see the ballasts under the reflector it isn't that bad. If you can't it's fun and games.

Grim, I'm currently running 3 blue plus and an aquablue, but really like the color of 3 blue plus and a UVL super actinic. Would I be sacrificing a lot of PAR switching out the aquablue for the UVL? I have a 4 bulb sunpower over a pretty small tank, which is 17" deep. All of my SPS are within 12" of the water's surface (one or two down at 14"), and the light is about 8" over the water at this time.

You'll give up some PAR but I think you still should have plenty.

Holy crap this thread is huge. gota figure out a way to consolidate it or something.

Grim I have a slandered 29 gallon with a Current 4 bulb fixture above it. mostly zoas and rics and thing but I have some SPS and am looking to buy a clam what bulbs do you recommend?

Hey grim, last question, at least until I get stuff in my tank.

Ok, so I have been looking around trying to figure out what I can do for my tank.

So I have a 4-bulb fixture, wondering about this config.

1-ATI 24w aquablue
1-fiji purple
1-actinic supplied and
1-700+ nm bulb. Reading ATI's website, they just developed a very similar bulb that peaks at around 660nm.

Woulud this be too dark only having 1 "white" bulb? Should I ditch the fiji purple for an aquablue?

Thanks in advance!

Holy crap this thread is huge. gota figure out a way to consolidate it or something.

Grim I have a slandered 29 gallon with a Current 4 bulb fixture above it. mostly zoas and rics and thing but I have some SPS and am looking to buy a clam what bulbs do you recommend?

2 ATI Blue Plus, 1 UVL Actinic White and ATI Aquablue.

Hey grim, last question, at least until I get stuff in my tank.

Ok, so I have been looking around trying to figure out what I can do for my tank.

So I have a 4-bulb fixture, wondering about this config.

1-ATI 24w aquablue
1-fiji purple
1-actinic supplied and
1-700+ nm bulb. Reading ATI's website, they just developed a very similar bulb that peaks at around 660nm.

Woulud this be too dark only having 1 "white" bulb? Should I ditch the fiji purple for an aquablue?

Thanks in advance!

No, ditch the Aquablue for an ATI Blue Plus and you should be good.

I've got a 24x24 cube that is 30" deep...would like to switch from Halides to T5. I was considering a retro in my canopy using an older icecap 660 ballast...I am wondering if it will overdrive the 24" T5 bulbs to 40 watts. If not, can I get the Icecap 430 ballast as that one is supposed to overdrive the T5 to 40 watts...right? Also, how many bulbs should I go with 4? 6? 8? SPS on top, chalices on the sand at about 28" of water depth. Has to be a retro fit.
thanks!!

I've got a 24x24 cube that is 30" deep...would like to switch from Halides to T5. I was considering a retro in my canopy using an older icecap 660 ballast...I am wondering if it will overdrive the 24" T5 bulbs to 40 watts. If not, can I get the Icecap 430 ballast as that one is supposed to overdrive the T5 to 40 watts...right? Also, how many bulbs should I go with 4? 6? 8? SPS on top, chalices on the sand at about 28" of water depth. Has to be a retro fit.
thanks!!

At least 6 lamps but 8 would be better if you have lots on the sand. Make sure your old 660 is an 009. Also keep in mind a 430 MIGHT run 3 T5's but not 4. I would run 660's.

At least 6 lamps but 8 would be better if you have lots on the sand. Make sure your old 660 is an 009. Also keep in mind a 430 MIGHT run 3 T5's but not 4. I would run 660's.
Thanks Grim! The ballast is a 660-009 Revision F. It is the same blue color but no metal heat sink on it. I think 8 bulbs would be the way to go...so if I run 4 x 24 watt bulbs on the 660-009 ballast...does that overdrive to 40 watts per bulb? I was considering getting a hellolights T5 retrokit for the other 4 bulbs...they state 15% overdrive. Any feedback on their kits? Seem like a steal for $200/set of 4! Thanks again!!

new t5 bulbs

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i want to replace my bulbs i have a 4 bulb t5 54 w fixture . i have soft corals what is the best bulb combination and brand bulbs?i have a 125gallontank. any input is appreciated thanks

I have an 18" deep tank with 4x 24" bulbs. I keep a mixed reef and like a good bit of blue in my tank. Here's what's on hand:
4 Blue Plus
2 Giesmann Actinic Plus
1 Giesmann aquablue (11K)
1 Indigo Sun
1 UV Super Actinic
2 GE 6000K

Can you give me a good config for the 4 bulb fixture and also a future 6 bulb arrangement?

Right now I have

Front:
Actinic+
Blue Plus
Indigo Sun
Blue Plus

Hi Grim,

I have a 24x24x20 tank with TX5 and currently have one RBTA and couple clams and looking to change the lights. I'm looking for high PAR and around 10-12K. Is the following good? What if I add Fuji in the mix?

Back
Giesemann Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
Giesemann Midday Sun or GE Daylight
UV 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
Front

ALso, can anytone tell me the total width required to mount a 24" T5 retro, reflectors are 19" or so, what is the total width when accounting for the endcaps mounted?
Thanks again!

For a retro kit from reefgeek, it looks like the only difference in their retros (not overdriven) is the reflectors:

AquaIllumination Miro-4
IceCap SLR
Sunlight Supply Tek 2

Is there any difference? If so, what?

Grim or someone

i need your help...im buying a sunpower 6 x 24w..for my 34gal...20x20x20

can u recommend a bulb setting please? Im keeping SPS mainly.

Thanks

Last edited:
Yo Grim-

What are my lighting options for a 72 long x 18 wide?
There are not many 6 foot fixtures and a canopy is not an option.
The constellation is a little out of my price range plus i believe it is too much light for my tank, i am keeping no colored sticks, the tank is all LPS, zoa's and encrusting monti's and i think it will fry stuff

I love the TEK fixtures but they only make a 5 foot fixture, should i go with the TEK and leave 6 inches without a fixture over it on each end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back