The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a nova extreme pro replica that is 8x54.
The bulbs i currently have are:

3x TRU Actinic 03
4x TRU 10k
2x Hagen Marine-go(20k)
2x Current Actinic
2x ATI Aquablue
1x ATI Blue+

What would be the best combo with the bulbs that i currently have?
I have mostly sps BTW

TIA

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14429778#post14429778 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by brucem
Hey Grim I have 4x4 cube I am running 2x400 20k radiums in the center of the tank . I am running 4 vho super atinics now but the sides are dim I am looking to run 2 39w bulbs on each side of the halides I am looking for a combination for growth and to brighten up the sides. My tank is sps dominate.

Thanks Bruce

ATI Aquablue would probably be best

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14429831#post14429831 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by madean
hey grim, just came across a tank with the dimensions 60" long 18" deep and 14" tall. gonna set it up as a frag tank for ricordea only. what fixtures could you possibly recommend and a bulb configuration. I have no plans to ever do anything else in this tank but ricordea. i am looking to max growth and color. Thanks for your info.
Sorry I am referring to t5 ho lighting, but would you recommend other types of lighting than t5 for this application.

Do a 4 lamp Tek 54 watt fixture. I would use half ATI Blue Plus and Half GE 6500K Daylight for lamps.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430067#post14430067 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Cale W
Hi everyone,

Sorry if i missed it but would someone be able to tell me the PAR ratings of the new 6x24w ATI sunpower? It would be great if there were comparisons to other 24'' T5 light units. Im in australia so i cant get all the same pendants.

Cheers!

The Sunpower did 375 at the sandbed of my 22" tall tank running all aquablue lamps. A Tek did 268 running the same lamps. .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430555#post14430555 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Fish dude32
hey Grim Reefer, I was told to ask you: I have a 2x48" sunlight 54watt retro kit. My question is could I run 3-4 36" bulbs on the ballast or is that too much to pull on the ballast?

You can't run 36 watt lamps on 54 watt ballasts very long.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14430981#post14430981 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by GrayJ
Hey guys, I need some help. I'm wanting to put a ATI Sunpower on my new 125 gallon. It is 72x18x22 and has the calflo overflo shelf in it. It will have fish, zoas and some softies, possibly LPS somewhere down the line. Will a four bulb be enough or do I need to go six bulb? Could you give me some suggestions on which bulbs? Thanks

4 will work

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14431397#post14431397 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
ok so after some thoughtful thinking, i think i will go with the original plan and build canopy, do icecap slr retro :)..i have enough plywood leftover from my stand build, and that would be the best way to go correct? 4x39 either regular or the 660 ballast overdriven..

I'd overdrive at least a couple of the lamps. That would still leave you with dusk/dawn too.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14431877#post14431877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PUParrothead
I'm building an in-wall tank with a fish room, so don't need a nice looking fixture. After looking around at IceCap retro kits to build my own fixture I find that it is not really much cheaper that buying a ATI Powermodule or Sunmodule. Am I missing something here? What is the benefit of using the retro kits unless you have to mount them in a hood or mix with MH?

If looks don't matter see if you can score a deal on the Fauna Marin Ultra solaris. They are butt ugly for a fixture but do good as long as you don't let salt spray get to the reflectors, be perfect for an in wall. Other than that the ATI Sunpower would be fine. If you can't get the Fauna Marin a lot cheaper go with the ATI.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432715#post14432715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JonReefer
So I want to add just a hint more blue color to my tank..I am not sure what bulb to buy..I was going to get another Aquablue Special..but then I was thining maybe about the 75/25 would be good
right now its a 30breeder tank
TEK 4bulb
Blue+
Aquablue Special
TRU 10K
Blue+
KH5V0337.jpg

KH5V0339.jpg

I was going to replace the 10K with either the 75/25 or a aquablue...What will give me a little more blueish look to the tank.

Pulling the 10K for a 75/25 would be a nice change, Especially if you have pink or purple in the tank that doesn't show up good right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14433634#post14433634 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by o0jmadr0x0o
I have a nova extreme pro replica that is 8x54.
The bulbs i currently have are:

3x TRU Actinic 03
4x TRU 10k
2x Hagen Marine-go(20k)
2x Current Actinic
2x ATI Aquablue
1x ATI Blue+

What would be the best combo with the bulbs that i currently have?
I have mostly sps BTW

TIA

Throw all 3 ATI lamps in with the 2 Marine glows. After that I'd do the 3 10K's and see what you thing. I'd try to stay away from the actinics with a low end fixture, you need as much PAR out of the lamps as possible.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14433876#post14433876 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Throw all 3 ATI lamps in with the 2 Marine glows. After that I'd do the 3 10K's and see what you thing. I'd try to stay away from the actinics with a low end fixture, you need as much PAR out of the lamps as possible.

what order would you put the lamps in?

Hey grim,

I have a 265 84Lx24wx30H this tank i going to be LPS and softie dominated im going with two 36in ATI fixtures should i get the 6 or 8 bulb and what combo of bulbs.

Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14433842#post14433842 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Pulling the 10K for a 75/25 would be a nice change, Especially if you have pink or purple in the tank that doesn't show up good right now.
That 75/25 wont make my tank pink like the procolor bulb I had for 1 day will it..I thought this looked AWFUL..
KH5V0321.jpg

I am going for a slight bit more on the blue side of color then what I have posted in the previous pics.

so when the kits come from reefgeek, say the one with 2 AccuStart ballast, they say only one power cord, so i can't control dusk/dawn? how would i go about doing that?

edit..:rollface: stupid question lol..

Last edited:
Grim i was told to contact you about light advice. I have pc on my 75g tank and would like to upgrade to t5s i was looking at the nova extremes the 8 x 54w I was wondering what you think about this.

I was also looking at the 6 x 54 because these have the individual reflectors from current usa but i was just wondering what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back