The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
yea just realized i would need at least 10"or more for just the reflectors..the problem is that most of the fixtured mentioned above are way out of my price range, there isn't a company that makes just the shell for a fixture? lol...i don't have enough skills to make it directly from metal as you mentioned..so thats why i got all excited when i saw this cheap fishneedit fixture...so the tek and sunpower would little more realistic pricing wise..other than those two, if i didn't go with something with parabolic reflectors, do u think i can pull of sps? tank is 18" deep, 4x39watt setup..Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427095#post14427095 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I think What gregg recoed will look nice but probably not as blue as the pic you posted. One thing about it you would get a better introduction to what the lamps all look like. On the 5th lamp back I would use the GE for sure. With a pro color and 75/25 you have a lot of red, don't need any more from the aquasun.

What would you put in place of the aquasun then and is there a better order for these? I like the idea of having a few additional colors/types of bulbs to gain experience like you said. Worst case is I hate the look and buy new bulbs... worse things in the world! Thanks.

Front:
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting 75/25 14000K Aquablue
GE 6500K Daylight
(???)UV Lighting 1000K AquaSun(???)
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428165#post14428165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JOESWOODWORKS
HI Grim
I just ordered this retrofit kit, 48" 4x54W. I have a 75 gallon tank which is 18" deep. The retrofit is 10" deep, is it all right to space the bulbs about 1/2 to 3/4 between each other?
\

Sure.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428408#post14428408 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
yea just realized i would need at least 10"or more for just the reflectors..the problem is that most of the fixtured mentioned above are way out of my price range, there isn't a company that makes just the shell for a fixture? lol...i don't have enough skills to make it directly from metal as you mentioned..so thats why i got all excited when i saw this cheap fishneedit fixture...so the tek and sunpower would little more realistic pricing wise..other than those two, if i didn't go with something with parabolic reflectors, do u think i can pull of sps? tank is 18" deep, 4x39watt setup..Thanks

You could maybe keep them alive but that isn't what SPS keeping is about. If good lighting isn't in the budget I would strongly suggest going LPS and maybe a couple cool softies. The fish needit stuff with good lamps would pull that off. SPS are more demanding and will be taxing your budget from now on. Too many cool looking LPS to suffer through a bunch of poorly colored stonies because of light or supplement issues.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428624#post14428624 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
What would you put in place of the aquasun then and is there a better order for these? I like the idea of having a few additional colors/types of bulbs to gain experience like you said. Worst case is I hate the look and buy new bulbs... worse things in the world! Thanks.

Front:
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
(???)UV Lighting 1000K AquaSun(???)
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Front:
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14428956#post14428956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Front:
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Thanks much! Will call Greg tomorrow and place the order. Will post pics after it's all wired up... hopefully that's not too bad... seems like a daunting task at this point with 40 endcaps!

-zach

yea i thats what i most likely figured, and i definitely don't want to hurt anys animals of sorts..espically since i will be keeping all my stonies from my 75g(6x54w TEK) to the new 50g breeder. So the 4bulb tek should be ok? if not then the sunpower..the finnex didn't have parabolic reflectors correct? Should i try to contact them to find out if they do? Thanks for all the inputs grim..

btw, i am on my second set of bulb configuration that you recommeded..Thanks

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14429117#post14429117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
yea i thats what i most likely figured, and i definitely don't want to hurt anys animals of sorts..espically since i will be keeping all my stonies from my 75g(6x54w TEK) to the new 50g breeder. So the 4bulb tek should be ok? if not then the sunpower..the finnex didn't have parabolic reflectors correct? Should i try to contact them to find out if they do? Thanks for all the inputs grim..

btw, i am on my second set of bulb configuration that you recommeded..Thanks

The Finnex has reflectors but it is impossible to say how good they are without testing them.

For the same money you can get the Aquactinics Tx5. That is what I would get. The Tek will work as well.

Hey Grim I have 4x4 cube I am running 2x400 20k radiums in the center of the tank . I am running 4 vho super atinics now but the sides are dim I am looking to run 2 39w bulbs on each side of the halides I am looking for a combination for growth and to brighten up the sides. My tank is sps dominate.

Thanks Bruce

hey grim, just came across a tank with the dimensions 60" long 18" deep and 14" tall. gonna set it up as a frag tank for ricordea only. what fixtures could you possibly recommend and a bulb configuration. I have no plans to ever do anything else in this tank but ricordea. i am looking to max growth and color. Thanks for your info.
Sorry I am referring to t5 ho lighting, but would you recommend other types of lighting than t5 for this application.

Hi everyone,

Sorry if i missed it but would someone be able to tell me the PAR ratings of the new 6x24w ATI sunpower? It would be great if there were comparisons to other 24'' T5 light units. Im in australia so i cant get all the same pendants.

Cheers!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14427368#post14427368 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

thankyou:D

hey Grim Reefer, I was told to ask you: I have a 2x48" sunlight 54watt retro kit. My question is could I run 3-4 36" bulbs on the ballast or is that too much to pull on the ballast?

Hey guys, I need some help. I'm wanting to put a ATI Sunpower on my new 125 gallon. It is 72x18x22 and has the calflo overflo shelf in it. It will have fish, zoas and some softies, possibly LPS somewhere down the line. Will a four bulb be enough or do I need to go six bulb? Could you give me some suggestions on which bulbs? Thanks

ok so after some thoughtful thinking, i think i will go with the original plan and build canopy, do icecap slr retro :)..i have enough plywood leftover from my stand build, and that would be the best way to go correct? 4x39 either regular or the 660 ballast overdriven..

Enough light?

Enough light?

I have a 72L 24W 30D tank would the nova extreme pro 72' + the 4x96W pc fixture I have now be enougt light to keep the following.

Zenia,shrooms,clove polyps,toadstools,zoas,gsps, leathers, keyna tree, maybe later on some lps branching frog spawn ,torch.

Grim thanks for putting the info on the red house. I realy like the info you have up.

I'm building an in-wall tank with a fish room, so don't need a nice looking fixture. After looking around at IceCap retro kits to build my own fixture I find that it is not really much cheaper that buying a ATI Powermodule or Sunmodule. Am I missing something here? What is the benefit of using the retro kits unless you have to mount them in a hood or mix with MH?

So I want to add just a hint more blue color to my tank..I am not sure what bulb to buy..I was going to get another Aquablue Special..but then I was thining maybe about the 75/25 would be good
right now its a 30breeder tank
TEK 4bulb
Blue+
Aquablue Special
TRU 10K
Blue+
KH5V0337.jpg

KH5V0339.jpg

I was going to replace the 10K with either the 75/25 or a aquablue...What will give me a little more blueish look to the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14432715#post14432715 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by JonReefer
So I want to add just a hint more blue color to my tank..I am not sure what bulb to buy..I was going to get another Aquablue Special..but then I was thining maybe about the 75/25 would be good
right now its a 30breeder tank
TEK 4bulb
Blue+
Aquablue Special
TRU 10K
Blue+
KH5V0337.jpg

KH5V0339.jpg

I was going to replace the 10K with either the 75/25 or a aquablue...What will give me a little more blueish look to the tank.

The Aquablue will. The 75/25 is a pink bulb. Not blue.

It will kick up your reds and your actinic though.

I personally like:

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back