The T5 Q&a Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14420441#post14420441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigmatt1992
will that combo also give me good coral growth

Yes the reco Grim gave you is great for growth. It is a very high PAR set up.

I think when Grim said ATI actinic blue he meant the ATI Aquablue. Just a guess.

I have never heard of the ATI Actinic blue?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421438#post14421438 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Todd March
Yeah, the difference I see is that the in-flowing air isn't locked into each individual lamps' channel as it is with the Powermodule.

Are there vents at end of the SunPower for the airflow to exit, as with the PM...?

I'm not sure if it was by design yet, but on the side of the fixture opposite the ballasts, where the splash shield slides in, you can feel warm/hot air rushing out if you put your hand up to it.
I can examine it closer and give a more detailed answer, but not for couple of days ... i'm out on business travel.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421417#post14421417 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
If you look at the Sunpower picture there are holes above the lamps just like the Powermodule has. I also think the lamp spacing is identical, will have the pull out the PM and double check that.

Awww I see the holes in the last pic now. So the air blows out one end?

Correct. I can take some more pictures tonight if you would like?

I am running ATI Blue plus (2), UVI 75/25, ATI Aquablue

Its really a great fixture for the price!

-Dave

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421848#post14421848 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rtparty
Yes the reco Grim gave you is great for growth. It is a very high PAR set up.

I think when Grim said ATI actinic blue he meant the ATI Aquablue. Just a guess.

I have never heard of the ATI Actinic blue?

I meant actinic, Not sure of the exact name Actinic 03 maybe but anyway it is to drop the PAR some. Softies aren't wild about high end T5 setups or even the teks if the tank isn't too tall. .

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14422042#post14422042 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by painkiller1009
Awww I see the holes in the last pic now. So the air blows out one end?

It blows out those holes and exits the opposite end of the fixture though the gap they left for the splash shield to slide into.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14421461#post14421461 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
That pic makes the tank look very blue. For that color try

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

If I remember right Iwan was running Blue Plus and Aquablue only. The two pro colors will add some extra red which will help pink or purple colors.

Here is what Greg proposed:

Front:
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting 75/25 14000K Aquablue
GE 6500K DaylightUV Lighting 1000K AquaSun
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

How much of a difference is there between what you proposed and what Greg has proposed. Are we talking oranges and apples or granny smiths and galas? Just worried that the back of the tank and light might be a little blue for my taste. But, I have never owned a T5 or seen one in person.... so what the heck to I know!

Thanks!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14416099#post14416099 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by The Grim Reefer
I'd do the Powermodule. It is a little better according to the folks at ATI. You want all the PAR you can get.

Front
ATI Blue Plus
KZ Fiji Purple
GE 6500K Daylight
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K Daylight
KZ Fiji Purple
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Blue Plus

Thanks grim

Cannot get alot of these types of bulbs here as we have a liminted range.
I can get all ATI Bulbs when purchasing the light. What would you recomend from their range.

I wil try to find the others in the meantime - but ........

Regards Roger

hey grim, what do u think of this idea, i see this 4x39watt fixture from this site fishneedit.com, heres the link to it

http://www.fishneedit.com/3ft4bulbs-with-l34.html

what do you think if i bought this and changed out the two ballast to better ones,AccuStart or Vossloh-Schwabe, and also changed out the reflectors to slr/tek...i was thinking that that would still be cheaper yet still much better setup than say currents or such...since its its only $100 for fixture w/bulbs(which i would eventually change out to better ones) plus $100 for reflectors, and not sure cost of ballast but i think like $100 for two ballast? which still would put me at $300, and i get a fixture with leds/awesome reflectors and good ballast..What do you think? i never changed a ballast out before, but thinking it shouldn't be very difficult..

anin:
I got one of those fishneedit fixtures...they are what they are...but for all the work you are planning on putting into it...I would recommend you just buy a better fixture from the start.

i reallly can't find a fixture that has good parabolic reflectors/leds/ballast..other than tek/current, what other ones are available? relatively decent price range? I see the sunpower as posted above, which looks good, but still for close to 300 to 350, i can do that work to the fishneedit fixture..i also do see the finnex 4x39 for $394...looks very good..

Hello, I need some lighting advice. I am getting ready to purchase a 6 bulb t-5 vho retro for my 90gal from reefgeek. They allow you to chose from there selection of bulbs. I need some advice on what bulbs to choose. I would like to keep a few stony corals but mostly softys. I want to achive good colors and fair growth. Any suggestions on what lamps, the order to place them, and wiring config with 2 separate icecap 660's to achive dusk dawn effect?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14426473#post14426473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by firebirdcrzy
Hello, I need some lighting advice. I am getting ready to purchase a 6 bulb t-5 vho retro for my 90gal from reefgeek. They allow you to chose from there selection of bulbs. I need some advice on what bulbs to choose. I would like to keep a few stony corals but mostly softys. I want to achive good colors and fair growth. Any suggestions on what lamps, the order to place them, and wiring config with 2 separate icecap 660's to achive dusk dawn effect?

You will not need the VHO if you want to keep mainly softies. Actually the softies will hate that much light. Just get the regular high output.

ATI Blue Plus
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus
GE 6500K
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14424695#post14424695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by zlwags85
Here is what Greg proposed:

Front:
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting Super Actinic
ATI Blue Plus
UV Lighting 75/25 14000K Aquablue
GE 6500K DaylightUV Lighting 1000K AquaSun
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

How much of a difference is there between what you proposed and what Greg has proposed. Are we talking oranges and apples or granny smiths and galas? Just worried that the back of the tank and light might be a little blue for my taste. But, I have never owned a T5 or seen one in person.... so what the heck to I know!

Thanks!

I think What gregg recoed will look nice but probably not as blue as the pic you posted. One thing about it you would get a better introduction to what the lamps all look like. On the 5th lamp back I would use the GE for sure. With a pro color and 75/25 you have a lot of red, don't need any more from the aquasun.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14425020#post14425020 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chippy70
Thanks grim

Cannot get alot of these types of bulbs here as we have a liminted range.
I can get all ATI Bulbs when purchasing the light. What would you recomend from their range.

I wil try to find the others in the meantime - but ........

Regards Roger

Front
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Actinic
ATI Pro Color
ATI Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14425347#post14425347 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
hey grim, what do u think of this idea, i see this 4x39watt fixture from this site fishneedit.com, heres the link to it

http://www.fishneedit.com/3ft4bulbs-with-l34.html

what do you think if i bought this and changed out the two ballast to better ones,AccuStart or Vossloh-Schwabe, and also changed out the reflectors to slr/tek...i was thinking that that would still be cheaper yet still much better setup than say currents or such...since its its only $100 for fixture w/bulbs(which i would eventually change out to better ones) plus $100 for reflectors, and not sure cost of ballast but i think like $100 for two ballast? which still would put me at $300, and i get a fixture with leds/awesome reflectors and good ballast..What do you think? i never changed a ballast out before, but thinking it shouldn't be very difficult..

You probably couldn't fit reflectors inside, no cooling etc. More work than I would want to go through. Modular idea is good but I have a way better design idea. Now if I only have the metal working abilities to pull it off.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14425692#post14425692 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
i reallly can't find a fixture that has good parabolic reflectors/leds/ballast..other than tek/current, what other ones are available? relatively decent price range? I see the sunpower as posted above, which looks good, but still for close to 300 to 350, i can do that work to the fishneedit fixture..i also do see the finnex 4x39 for $394...looks very good..

Current doesn't make a fixture I know of with parabolic reflectors. They have a individual reflector that isn't particularly effective compared to true parabolic reflectors but better than a flat sheet.

Fixtures with Parabolic reflectors

Aquactinics
ATI
Tek
Fauna Marin
Arcadia
Sfigiloi
Helios

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14425805#post14425805 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
also do add, i see a Jalli 4x39w,doesn't have fan tho..
http://www.customaquatic.com/estore/control/product/~product=LT-JL-ILC3936

The finnex unit:
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...oduct_Code=FI-DL-3639&Category_Code=Finnex-T5

i would assume these units are a grade higher than say current/tek?

That Finnex fixture looks interesting but for the same price you can get a Aquactinics TX5 or slightly more a 4 lamp ATI Sunpower both of which are known to be good. Just looking at the finnex it is impossible to say what the performance would be. The reflectors look OK which doesn't mean they are, simple polished aluminum doesn't provide nearly the performance the spectal aluminum does.

HI Grim
I just ordered this retrofit kit, 48" 4x54W. I have a 75 gallon tank which is 18" deep. The retrofit is 10" deep, is it all right to space the bulbs about 1/2 to 3/4 between each other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back