Thinking about changing from closed loop to Tunzes

yellowtruck75

I recently got a tunze 6100 and now I am thinking of getting another and ditching my closed loop. My closed loop currently is a Sequence Dart running through a Ocean Motions 4 way. What do you guys think of the change over to two 6100s running on a multi controller instead in a 125?

The only problem I have is that I am running CPR overflows and I use the closed loop to keep the syphone going, so any suggestions how to do that with out the CL?

Thanks

I would seriously consider ditching the cpr overflows for the u-tube style overflows as they are much more efficient in restarting siphon.

CPR overflows are not very safe but, they really look good. I like Tunze over CL, much less electricity.

I put it into this thread becuase its an SPS dominated tank and was wondering you guys thought two Tunze 6100s would be enough flow in my 125 if they were at opposite ends running on a multi controller?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9882143#post9882143 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yellowtruck75
I put it into this thread becuase its an SPS dominated tank and was wondering you guys thought two Tunze 6100s would be enough flow in my 125 if they were at opposite ends running on a multi controller?

You should have enough flow in my opinion. You can always add a nano stream later if you decide more flow is needed, but two 6100s should work well for a 125g setup.

I am running two 6100s on my 180g reef with two 6060s.

coralupdatenov06434.jpg

Tunzes are well worth it !
The controller adds so much variation to flow in the tank vs static locatons on a closed loop. Get the magnet mounts - you can move the units all around to find a good location, and adjust as your corals grow.
I have 4-6200's on my 280 and things seem to be happy

I've used a CPR overflow for 5 years and have never had a mishap due to it breaking siphon.... knock on wood. The Aqualifter pumps die after not too long when used for this purpose but they are inexpensive. I've been using a MJ on a timer, the downside being you have a PH in the tank and the ejected air causes salt creep on the lights.

I have 2 6100 in my 90 with a korelia in the middle. The bigest one. Forgot the model #. BUt Im actually thinking of one more 6100 instead of the korelia.

I think I have decided that I am going to swithc over and get rid of my closed loop and add a second 6100. The Tunzes should use alot LESS electricity than the Sequence Dart running 24/7 on my closed loop plus I will get rid of the humming sound.

So the mulitcontroller is a definite for the two 6100s?

I personally dont use one but the do help for wave making effect. I actually quit using the closed loop as the grating filter to the closed loop kept getting clogged with detrius and its in the rockwork. In order to clear that i had to pull out some rock risking my sps so. I got more flow this way anyway.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9887142#post9887142 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yellowtruck75
I think I have decided that I am going to swithc over and get rid of my closed loop and add a second 6100. The Tunzes should use alot LESS electricity than the Sequence Dart running 24/7 on my closed loop plus I will get rid of the humming sound.

So the mulitcontroller is a definite for the two 6100s?

I use the single controller w/ branch adapter....it works well for my 6100s

coralupdatenov06155.jpg

I am a huge fan of the tunzes with a multicontroller.

Another option for you is to downgrade the pump on the CL, and get the tunzes. Depending on how you have your CL returns plumbed, you can direct the flow into your rock work or down to the bottom of the tank and let the tunzes generate the flow in the upper half. That's basically what I'm doing in my 180 setup - I have my CL pushing water out through my workwork and two 6100s on a multicontroller taking care of all the flow up top.

Plumbing diagram is in my gallery.
Oh, and you can look at this thread to see how I created my rock support frame and attached the CL to it.

Last edited:
Back