Thinking about switching to Instant Ocean

I need to get some more salt and have been considering a switch from Reef Crystals to Instant Ocean. It's about $5 cheaper per box for the IO now. I keep my alk around 8-9 and don't really like the higher alk levels in the RC (~13). I know it's not a huge issue with water changes like 10-20%, but may become more important with the larger ones. I've done really large changes (50%-75%), but those are also very rare. Maybe I'm over thinking that part, but the IO Ca/Alk/Mg levels are closer to my day-to-day levels and it makes sense to get a salt the matches those more closely. I don't really have any need for a boost in levels since I run the reactor, just need to replace the same levels I take out with the old water.

The other concern was what "extras" I would be missing with the IO, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. I found this Q&A on the chem forum:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16597632#post16597632
Would my tank's inhabitants miss the "extras" in Reef Crystals which are not in Instant Ocean?

Like vitamins and the metal chelator? I doubt it. I don't even want them in my water, and at least for the vitamins, even the manufacturer doesn't have evidence they are useful. As to trace elements, I'm not sure RC has appreciably more in any desirable way.

I've used IO since day one in this hobby (first tank was in '92). Never tried anything different, so I can't really say if it's better or not, but I have always been happy with.

I've got no beef using IO at all - In fact, I've recently been mixing coralife and IO 50/50. It's cheap, it works, and levels are close to what I want in the end.

All of the recent (3 years) issues with Reef Crystals just has me shy away from it. The high Alk is another thing people should be concerned with depending on dosing regimen.

Let's order a pallet!

I've got no beef using IO at all - In fact, I've recently been mixing coralife and IO 50/50. It's cheap, it works, and levels are close to what I want in the end.

All of the recent (3 years) issues with Reef Crystals just has me shy away from it. The high Alk is another thing people should be concerned with depending on dosing regimen.

Let's order a pallet!

I stop the kalk drip either the day before or the day after my 10% water change. A 10% water change with RC adds about the same amount as my daily CA and Alk dosing which is nice :)

The only time I ever used IO for a period of time I got a bad hair algae outbreak. I could have coincidental, although I haven't taken the chance since.

I stop the kalk drip either the day before or the day after my 10% water change. A 10% water change with RC adds about the same amount as my daily CA and Alk dosing which is nice :)

Thats too much math Jon! :hmm4:

I think the most important thing is anytime you consider switching salts you do it gradually, or mix them, and not do any major changes with the new salt. I've read some horror stories about "system shock" when changing 50% with a new brand of salt - could all be coincidence though.

Thank goodness for photometers, hopefully nobody will have an experience like Jim.

Re: Thinking about switching to Instant Ocean

I think over time I've just gotten use to buying RC. I'm sure there are other good salt mixes; it's probably one of those "go with what you know" things for me.

Jesse Olsen used IO for about 15 years, and probably had close to 1,000 sps corals in that time. He never had a problem. I used Coralife working for Scott, and it always seemed to do pretty well also, and is cheaper.

Also, since our make-up water at the zoo is only 30 ppt, I use IO to buffer all the coral exhibits up to 35, and don't see any issues there, either.

Coralife is actually my favorite salt. I also see good results at my buddy's house mixing IO and Oceanic 50/50. You will not see less Alk from IO though Alan, but you will need to boost up Ca and Mg, the rest is pointless, I agree, but for the money you should be able to get enough MgCl (9/10) from BRS + (1/10) epsom salt (MgSO4) to beef up the IO.

Coralife is actually my favorite salt. I also see good results at my buddy's house mixing IO and Oceanic 50/50. You will not see less Alk from IO though Alan, but you will need to boost up Ca and Mg, the rest is pointless, I agree, but for the money you should be able to get enough MgCl (9/10) from BRS + (1/10) epsom salt (MgSO4) to beef up the IO.
I was looking at the salt list here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505
Do you have different numbers for alk levels between RC and IO? It listed IO @ 11 and RC @ 13. I know IO is not 8-9, but it's a least a step closer than RC. According to that list at least. I like the Coralife alk level though. Since I'll be going through more salt now I just wanted to get something figured out. I got the 200g boxes of IO shipped to my door for about $40 each. A little boost of calcium and I think I'll be good.

Are you sure you just don't like Coralife because the bucket comes with a free T-shirt? :)

I was looking at the salt list here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1714505
Do you have different numbers for alk levels between RC and IO? It listed IO @ 11 and RC @ 13. I know IO is not 8-9, but it's a least a step closer than RC. According to that list at least. I like the Coralife alk level though. Since I'll be going through more salt now I just wanted to get something figured out. I got the 200g boxes of IO shipped to my door for about $40 each. A little boost of calcium and I think I'll be good.

Are you sure you just don't like Coralife because the bucket comes with a free T-shirt? :)

Are you sure you just don't like IO because the bucket comes with a free beach towel? :)

In all honesty though, those T-shirts are tiny as hell.

:lolspin:Yeah, I use those shirts as rags primarily. I actually like the numbers on it, Ca is a bit high but Mg and Alk are good so as to not boost alk with every w/c Ca is a bit less harsh on the tank. You're right about IO vs RC, I knew they were both on the high side though. I think you'd spend the same money and get a better salt by 50/50 mixing IO with Oceanic or Coralife or using Coralife exclusively. I am 50/50ing Coralife and RC just because I have about 8 buckets remaining and don't do many water changes. Don't tell anyone that though, wait... dang it! :lol:

Back