Thinking of ditching my needle wheel skimmer

Rwinfrey

I have been thinking of doing this for awhile. Does anyone have and old downdraft or becket they would like to trade for.... I have an avast marine skimmer I ended up buying from the school to cover the cost of the new tunze or I have my seaside aquatics cs2 both run a sicce 1000 pump:wavehand:

I don't have one for sale, but I too recently replaced my needle wheel ASM with a mazzei-based skimmer.

Yeah i am just getting lazy. I really dont keep that many corals and dont really want.to have to rely on a certian type.of pump in an emergency...... i had an impeller go and it brought me to this revilation. I am even thinking maybe an elos ns 1 or 2 thousand or an old schruan.......

Seems to be a trend around here. I replaced my AVAST needle wheel with a LifeReef Venturi Style just recently

I think that's often the way these things go ..... something new comes out, everybody raves over it, everybody buys it (the 'emperors new clothes'), over a longer period of time the warts start to show, and then you're looking for a better alternative. I like the needle wheel skimmers, but THIS is better ....

Old one on the left; new one on the right.

My skimmer works great i would just like the ability to run to the store and grab mag pump in a pinch that all......

Reef octopus nwb 150. I think I could run mine for a month and not get a full cup buy my nitrates are kinda high so there's definitely something for the skimmer to pull

The reef octopus I used to use was also touchy. Especially if you dose something. I like the bubble magus way better.

I think i decided i will wait until someone is selling an mrc2........that way i can upgrade it as needed....

I think that's often the way these things go ..... something new comes out, everybody raves over it, everybody buys it (the 'emperors new clothes'), over a longer period of time the warts start to show, and then you're looking for a better alternative. I like the needle wheel skimmers, but THIS is better ....

Wow Simon! You basement has got to have miles of wiring and PVC piping it by now... When I saw it last there was plenty but now you've added a bunch of stuff.

It was nice of you to leave room for the wife's baskets :lol2:

Wow Simon! You basement has got to have miles of wiring and PVC piping it by now... When I saw it last there was plenty but now you've added a bunch of stuff.

Yeah, well it's a disease .... I'm taking pills and getting therapy .... prognosis not good though .... fortunately no more room!

It was nice of you to leave room for the wife's baskets :lol2:

Too funny that you should say that - I've been eyeballing those baskets lately thinking they're going to have to go somewhere else.

BTW, skimmer is a MTC dual mazzei-based recirculator. Very happy with it.

Last edited:
Back