Thinking of shutting down

janes_mw

I just don't seem to have time anymore to take proper care of the 300. Seriously thinking about shutting down. I love this hobby but I don't love ignoring my tank and all that depends on me.

Shutting down

Shutting down

I just don't seem to have time anymore to take proper care of the 300. Seriously thinking about shutting down. I love this hobby but I don't love ignoring my tank and all that depends on me.

Mike I have the same feeling. I agree. I know I will take a beating but the extra time back is worth it. Besides a break is not bad you get to build up the desire. I really should not be In This hobby as time is never on my side. One thing I will do is setup on very smal scale like a 90 gallon.

I have been trying to invest as much as possible into automation. I'm busier than the average 9-5 guy lol. No downplay on any life's challenges you or any incur here. I realized I will invest to help offset my insane work and just raising 2 kids as a lone income. Oh well, we tend to pay for convience at a certain point. I'm always discouraged when time doesn't allow for frivolous maintenance.:p

I have been trying to invest as much as possible into automation. I'm busier than the average 9-5 guy lol. No downplay on any life's challenges you or any incur here. I realized I will invest to help offset my insane work and just raising 2 kids as a lone income. Oh well, we tend to pay for convience at a certain point. I'm always discouraged when time doesn't allow for frivolous maintenance.:p

ya, it's that "frivolous maintenance" that is killing me and most important. This morning it was the CaRx pump seemed to stop working, RO DI needed DI resin, oh joy, another $50 bucks, Salt ..... another $75 ...... Food ....... only $25 ....... it goes on and on. Oh then you get an "event", RTN for no apparent reason, or Zoas close up for no apparent reason, or ...... it just never ends with this hobby. Yes, I know it is part of it. I have been doing this since 1986 and have always "come back for more". Just as I get into 60 and looking forward to retirement, not sure this is going to be part of it.

Whew! Yeah I can understand where your coming from. It definitely seems like this hobby can play hell on you. I haven't been in this nearly as long as many of you but can say that it definitely erodes it's fun factor away all on it's own. I'm personally at the point I need to go big or be satisfied and sell some stuff haha. I also have a bit more of investing to do for ease of pain and for the sake of simplicity. I do have a goal in mind though and plan on getting there. I hope you overcome the burdens of the hobby with a passion for the life that becomes fortitous at the expenses of patience, money, time and a devotion of seeing what is possible at the hands of a simple man, water, living creatures and a whole lotta love.
For a little laughter, my 8yr old wants a puppy for Christmas. :uhoh3: If only you could read the letter to Santa lol.

I have been done several times Mike so I get it.
I am as automated as possible. I can normally leave 2 weeks without touching the tank and only have Emmett come over to feed fish and make sure there is no disaster every couple days.

We can make it a lot more enjoyable and less expensive for you but you might be a little stubborn. ;-)

Yea worrying about every little thing so closely is why I gave up with sps it was too much babysitting to handle and then one piece dies and your ruined for a few days over why it happened ....

I still have some sps easy stuff that was cheap and if it died I wouldn't be heart broke I went for less work and did the 210 with mainly lps softies and it's deff been more enjoyable due to less baby sitting

Back