Thoughts on return pump for 180g

breutus

Don't ask me, I'm wrong.
So I'm looking for the right pump for the new 180G

I'm putting the sump in the basement and have a long run that's roughly 15' up and 25' horizontal I'll have 3 90°'s and 1 45° elbow

I'm looking at possibly

https://www.marinedepot.com/syncra-...icce?refSrc=XJ99679&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

It has a Max head height of 23' and can push a max of 2500 gph and is DC and will likely be ran externally. But I can't find a graph of what it does at what head height.

Any one have thoughts if this should work for me? Not enough, to much?

So I'm looking for the right pump for the new 180G

I'm putting the sump in the basement and have a long run that's roughly 15' up and 25' horizontal I'll have 3 90°'s and 1 45° elbow

I'm looking at possibly

https://www.marinedepot.com/syncra-...icce?refSrc=XJ99679&nosto=productpage-nosto-2

It has a Max head height of 23' and can push a max of 2500 gph and is DC and will likely be ran externally. But I can't find a graph of what it does at what head height.

Any one have thoughts if this should work for me? Not enough, to much?
So if my math is right you would be way over 23' of head pressure.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So if my math is right you would be way over 23' of head pressure.

Well that's a bummer lol, I need to find a calculator or look up the math 😅 how much does the elbows add and does the horizontal run affect it?

I can’t figure out the math and the only calculator I can find says it’s roughly 28-29’ head height, does that sound about right?

Not sure if there are any DC pumps with that capability but at least I know what I’m looking for now.

Vertical feet 1:1, pipe feet 10:1, 90 1:1

So I spoke wrong when I said you would be way over, but you are looking at probably 22.5' of head pressure. Most DC pumps with the exception of some of the very high price pumps do not handle head pressure well.

If the pump you were looking at has a max 23' thp then it would likely be close to a trickle at 22.5'.

I have a very similar install and run a pan world 250 ps with very good results. My tank is 265 gallons and even with around 500 gph flowing to my manifold I still get more than enough turn over in the tank.

Of course trade off is that pump cost a good deal to run.

Vertical feet 1:1, pipe feet 10:1, 90 1:1

So I spoke wrong when I said you would be way over, but you are looking at probably 22.5' of head pressure. Most DC pumps with the exception of some of the very high price pumps do not handle head pressure well.

If the pump you were looking at has a max 23' thp then it would likely be close to a trickle at 22.5'.

I have a very similar install and run a pan world 250 ps with very good results. My tank is 265 gallons and even with around 500 gph flowing to my manifold I still get more than enough turn over in the tank.

Of course trade off is that pump cost a good deal to run.

You are awesome! And yeah that makes sense, I didn't realize the elbows were so much nor the horizontal runs. So this makes sense, looks like I'll be going with an AC pump after all, probably gonna look at the iwaki or the panworld. You had your panworld long? Is it loud? Holding up well? Worth saving the extra money vs going with an iwaki?

You are awesome! And yeah that makes sense, I didn't realize the elbows were so much nor the horizontal runs. So this makes sense, looks like I'll be going with an AC pump after all, probably gonna look at the iwaki or the panworld. You had your panworld long? Is it loud? Holding up well? Worth saving the extra money vs going with an iwaki?
Mine has been a champ for about a year and and half with 0 cleaning. I bought a back up just in case.

As for noise it is not something I would want in my living room but in my fish room its fine.

Back