TitusvileSurfer vs. Beerguy

ReefnAv

I have enjoyed all my research and the help in this forum to finally decide on which camerea to buy.

I've elected to go with the Canon XSI kit that includes the 18-55mil lens. I have enjoyed playing around with it the past few days and I am extremely happy!

That being said, it has been quite fun reading the banter between TitusvilleSurfer and Beerguy! You guy have cracked me up! Thanks for BOTH of your comments and expertise!

Here are a few shots that I took with the camera for your review. I wish I knew how to post the settings so that you can give me guidance.

From th Sac Zoo:
Misc-3.jpg

Misc-17.jpg

The title of this thread is flattering. I have to say I thoroughly enjoy the back and forth between Beerguy and myself. What is the good in a forum where everyone nods their heads "yes" and agrees with eachother all of the time? He has taught me a quite a few things and my photography is better for it.

You have some pretty good shots, I especially like the last. With Firefox as your browser, go to this link to view all of the data from your shots and other's.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search?q=exif&cat=all

If you have another browser, simply search for an "exif" viewer for it.

Last edited:
Shutter Speed = 1/30
Aperture = F/5.6
ISO Speed = 400
Focal Length = ?270mm?
Flash = None

This was a great subject, composure, and crop. I like the Aperture setting of F/5.6, as it gave a pleasing boke spread with the telephoto lens. You only mentioned the 18-55(IS?), I am assuming you have a 70-300mm to go with it.

Shutter Speed= 1/125
Aperture = F/5.6
ISO Speed = 100
Focal Length = 300mm
Flash = None

Again, cool subject and composure. Nice aperture selection as you kept both subjects in focus but the background blurred. The exposure contains light intensities all over the spectrum with minimal highlights. Well done.

Shutter Speed = 1/50
Aperture = F/3.5
ISO Speed = 250
# Focal Length = 72mm

There seem to be a lot of highlights in this shot, but not much you could have done. That is just the nature of the beast. I would suggest shooting RAW instead of JPEG however. This will make adjusting for the blue hue much easier.

Shutter Speed = 1/30
Aperture = F/3.5
ISO Speed = 250
Focal Length = 55mm

This one does seem a little bright to me. Instead of 1/30, I would have picked 1/50. This would bring more color out of the polyps and dull down the highlighted sand.

Shutter Speed = 1/30
Aperture = /3.5
ISO Speed = 200
Focal Length = 72 mm

Nice closeup! I *might* turn the exposure down 1/3 of a stop or so...but there are no highlights and I think it turned out well.

Shutter Speed = 1/50
Aperture = F/3.5
# ISO Speed = 200
# Focal Length = 72 mm

This one looks a little bright. I would have bumped the Aperture down to f/4. The highlights at the top of the stripes look cool, but the rest of the fish is showing unnatural dull coloration. You could probably play with the curves and fix the orange/red of the fish and anemone. It helps that they are similar in color. I like the composition though.

Shutter Speed = 1/20 second
Aperture = F/3.5
ISO Speed = 200
Focal Length = 57.8mm

At 1/20 I would guess that you used a tripod or some form of stabilization. Sure the rocks have highlights but your actual subject is exposed very well. Its sharp, its clear, the crops are well done throughout the series, I like it.

:lol:

I didn't notice that you were local. Nice shot of the leopard. It's hard to see her in the open most of the time.

Thanks Guys!

Titus - you were correct in all statements, Including the use of a tripod in the last pic and the 70-300mm lens that I borrowed when I went to the zoo. I loved the lens so much that I bought one from Amazon when I got home! thanks for all the in depth detail on the pics...

Beerguy. That was actually a white tiger that happened to be just hanging around the upfront corner of the enclosure. I just got lucky! And yes I am right around the corner from ya! I know you enjoy your anonymity since you have to be a mod on here, otherwise I'd probably be begging you to borrow some lenses so that I can try them out before I spend the big bucks! :)

I realized I just got myself into ANOTHER expensive hobby... Greeeaatttt..... :)

Back