Toadstool okay?

sdm

Premium Member
Okay, first, sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't find any info on it anywhere else, (and I haven't been able to actually search RC in a little over 1,2,3..4.7-5 months) and I kinda have "nervous tank syndrome" (What I call it when I get reallllly over-reactive after doing some renovations with the tank and getting some fairly new additions). Anyway, lately, a toadstool that I just recently got has been retracting its polyps periodically during the day. I had been just chalking it up as either being full or being new, but now I'm a little worried. Normally it just retracted its polyps for an hour or two, but I haven't seen them out for a day or two now, and the "cap" which I had previously used to identify it as a "gold-tipped" toadstool-using the fact that (according Eric Bornemans book) it could be distinguished by its 'smooth flat-ish/rounded cap', as opposed to the 'folded ruffled cap' of other species-has sort of re-shaped itself to become a kind of awkwardly proportioned cone-like shape. Is this a bad sign, or what? TIA!

This sounds like the normal "slime" behavior. It will slime over for a few days, then shed the slime and the polyps will come back out. I believe it's a step in it's "growing".

Okay, sorry to bump an old thread, but my toadstool is stilll worrying me. Its polyps are coming out more often again, yes, but now it's bent over! Is this normal? (Will post a pic tonight)

Sort of resembles this shape (not a good illustration):
'''''''''''''''''''''''''' ' _
''''''''''''''''''''''''''''/'''\
'''''''''''''''''''''''''''l''''''l
'''''''''''''''''''''''''/''''''''\
'''''''''''''''' _ /''''''''''''' \ _
''''''''''''''''/' " " '_ _ '_ _\
''''''''''' ''l'''''''''''''\/'''''''''''''''\
''''''''''''' '\'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''l
'''''''''''''''' \ _ _ _/\_ _ _ /

(""s are so the formatting would work- i.e., so long" "s would show up)

phew, i can't picture the toadie from those "" and stuff, sorry. we really need a picture at least to get us to the same page/comprehension as you're looking at.

there's many threads in this forum and others that dead-end imo because we (readers) just don't understand or can mentally picture the situation.

almost all sarcos (i'm assuming it even is a sarco at this point) will take on a typical toadstool shape at some point, especially for frags. but this can/will change for some over time due to environment, injury, or natural growth.

for instance, i had a soft coral initially ID'd as a sinularia (by a reputable/respected source) but over time it took the obvious shape of a toadstool and then further morphed into its final shape (imo) of a sarcophyton roseum, i.e. vase or cone shape. so shapechange for certain toadies is normal.

usual indication of health is continued polyp extension, it's not always true (polyp extension = healthy) but much more often than not ime. so your continued extension of polyps, i would read as a good sign regardless of the shapechange. of course, that could be totally thrown out when we see the picture and scream in horror.

i'm kidding about that part. :rollface:

More vertical now, is that a good thing?
11487toadstool.JPG

are those aiptasia at its base? if so, i'd joe juice/kalk them asap. if they're just zoanthids of some sort then it shouldn't be a problem.

the coloration of the coral looks bleached. is it just the lighting of the picture or is it really that whiteish? (not good)

the polyps are only budding in that picture. is that retracted at the moment only or is that the typical appearance you're talking about? i thought you said it extended its polyps still.

at the base, that discoloration appears to be slime algae (ime consistent feel to dinoflagellates, although i'm not sure if they are or not). i'd blow that clean or lightly scrape it off.

i wouldn't characterize the shape there as what i was discussing before. i think there's more issues at hand. are you running any carbon? start, if not. and replace it if you are.

1. Okay, I admit I'd been meaning to kalk them, but I was nervous I'd hurt the toadstool...
2. It is a little greyer...:hmm2: :worried:
3. Yeah, its retracted in the pic.
4. Will do.
5. Okay...I'll see if my dad will go get replacement...

One question:
Should I brush the toadstool every now and again to make sure the dinos don't come back?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7474153#post7474153 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sdm
One question:
Should I brush the toadstool every now and again to make sure the dinos don't come back?
you can brush it (lightly) but i'd suggest you blow it clean with a baster. that's what i usually do for whatever type of nuisance algae that typically develops at the base of my softies. more often than not it's a film algae of some sort.

Does anyone know what might cause Sarcophyton spp. to suddenly, after being well for awhile (mind you they were recovering from whatever bent them over in the first place) to suddenly bend completely over so the tip of the 'cap' was touching the base?

light issues: filter change, waterchange, bulb change/age. any issue that changes the intensity or spectrum of the light it receives and the coral goes into a "crouch". i don't really think that would prompt a "bent over" effect though. ime they retract and squat a little due to light changes.

could be illness: i had a capnella almost internally liquidfy. it literally dangled with no internal support, looked like it melted and only clung to the base (never got a pic, would've been interesting). it recovered eventually but it now is permanently 'upside down'. slowly growing back to upright position (over a year now).

could be a parasite: i had a sarco healthy but suddenly go limp. stayed on its side for a couple of months until i decided to pull it out to investigate. slurped out a disgusting gelatinous icky and lopped off the bottom and the coral recovered in a couple of weeks.

could be a water issue from another tankmate. aggressive chemical filtration and stepped up waterchanges would be my suggestion in that instance.

could be lonely. ok, i'm kidding there.

1. How sensitive are they to light changes? (i.e, how long to affect them?)
2. do you have any ideas? (Seeing as the Coral disease forum is no longer there, I don't know where to go with this)
3. When you say you "lopped off the bottom", what do you mean specifically? (As far as parasites, the closest thing I see to that is those Aiptasia I went after)
4. Could this be caused by its being down current of the Capnella? Maybe from the zoos or open brain? (even though they're quite a distance away-I'm grasping straws here)

Would posting my tanks params and 'residents' maybe provide an insight?

1. ime yellow sarcos seem more sensitive to flow than light issues but that's a real general statement so take that with a grain of salt, but that's been my pers exp. please note: that's not to say lighting isn't important but i'm already assuming intense lighting.

2. i don't know anything definitive, these suggestions are only from my pers experiences with sarcos (which happen to be my favorite coral and i've studied pretty intensely on) but i don't have any hard credentials to prescribe anything to you. after eliminating the aipts, slime algae, and placing decent flow (moderate intermittent would be best) i'd attack the situation with aggressive chemical filtration (i.e. carbon and Poly-Filters changed frequently).

3. by "lopped off" i mean i completely severed the cap and upper stalk of the sarco from its anchored base/rock. i tossed the entire base/rock as i was unsure if eggs/babies of the coralivore (which had tunneled out a cozy home in the stalk) were left behind. some of the base was still healthy but i made the cut above the parasite's cavity/home, again to be extra sure to avoid 'contamination'. just keep vigilent watch for possible parasites/predators and you should see improvement within a week.

4. if not, there's either something ill inside or chemical issues are too close (e.g. your capnella suggestion). you might want to try a new location too, but often physical irritants are the underlying causes that lead to the other issues (fungus, decay, slime, bleaching, allelopathy, etc.).

Back