tooo hot! tank temps rising.. what is too hot? what temp is your tank?

otterpop510

okay, i'm cooking in my house, temps just reached 87 degrees inside and its even hotter outside. what happened to the 'cool bay breeze' and fog? this heat wave is painful..

also, right now my tank is running around 82-83 this week (slowly inching to 84 yesterday and today..) in the daytime with the fan over the top, about 80 during the evenings and i'm starting to get a little worried. normally no issues with not having a chiller, evaporative cooling has been keeping steady below 81 in hot part of day but this week the temps keep rising. fish and corals seem fine right now..

so when should i be concerned? what temps are other people's tanks right now and what are other folks doing?

I've kept my tanks at 84-85 before without too much problems, but I think that is definately on the high side. Keep it under 84 if possible. I think a bigger issue as far as sps is involved, temperature stability is more important.

right now, my sps is at 83, with a small chiller, and i just stick a fan directly on the surface for my FOWLR tanks to keep it around 84.

Its actually 100.3 degrees in my living room (where the 240 sps is) right now

Funny how my house is worth a million but yet my parents skimped on air conditioning when we bought it (17 years ago though). My nano is upstairs in my room. Since heat rises, my room is currently 95º and my tank is 85º with the peltier chiller running full blast. I have some water bottles in the freezer being frozen so I put them in the tank. This heat wave sure is killing me!

What I do on "hot" days (and I mean SF hot ;)) is I turn the lights off switch to a later lighting schedule, and use a desk fan to blow cool air over my sump/refugium. Today my tank temp got up to 81.7F which is not hot by any stretch of the imagination but it's hot enough for me to put a plan in action to make sure it doesn't get any hotter.

82 right now. Put some frozen water bottles into the sump earlier today. Put the fan on the frogfish tank. Shoulda got extra fans.

All my tanks are set to have lights come on in the early evening.

My fishroom is 85 degrees and all of my tanks are hovering right around 82... My 4 planted tanks were 76 degrees this morning around 3am and my mini reef was 78.. By 12noon they were all 82.. So far so good.. My discus tank is at 90 but thats where its at all of the time.. I have an 8" fan blowing directly into my sump and two free standing 24" fans just circulating air through the room... My two big wet dry's have fans circulating air across them under my racks....

wow, okay i guess i shouldn't be complaining too much after hearing about davis and campell. but its still too hot for me to feel like doing much right now.

yeah, my discus tank is at around 90 too (normally around 85'ish), and their loving it so no big deal. i have a couple fish in qt for the last couple weeks that i was going to move into my main tank soon, but the temp in the qt is getting above 85 right now so i'm aiming to move them in a little earlier than planned.

for my main tank and class tank i have fans blowing and switching lighting to go on during cooler parts of the day too. threw in a couple plastic bags with some ice too, though doing this in the past hasn't seemed to make much of a difference at all.

any particular fans or fan types that seem to be more effective or popular? should i aim to blow across my tank top or so it kinda skims the top of my water?

i came back from the beach to my tank at 86! lights went off and frozen water bottles went into the chiller to bring it back to 84. (note to self, need a chiller for next year.)

Weird here in Vallejo.
No AC in this house, and living room is 91, outside is 100. Drove to Lowe's in Fairfield and outside temp on 80 in Fairfield was 119, 116 in Lowes parking lot, so I guess it could be worse.
Currently my tank is stable at 84', with 1 80mm fan tilted at about 80' slight incline on the water.
Have gone through 4-5 of the pint sized icebricks an hour ago, and didn't affect water temp at all.
Next heatwave I think I'm gonna buy some dry ice and mod a real small styrofoam container such that the bottom is straight plastic and the upper part and top are styo. Wonder what that would do. Expect it to ice at the bottom of the container and help cool a bit. Not sure what the excess CO2 might do though.

AC? *scoff* cheater ;)

Yeah my fish room in my basement never got above 80 (think it was 77 according to the thermometer in there) my problem is my outdoor refugium/sump area in my "sun room" got to 93, luckily it's not THAT large of volume of water, but still enough to make me cringe when it gets hot.

My tank would boiling by now if I don't have house AC. The crappy part is I can't install a chiller because the 15Amp circuit can't handle it. :( .. Hopefully when the homeowner has time, he will run another line for my tank.

It hit 112 here yesterday, and I think the low over night was in the 90s.. this heat wave is definitely a rough one.

Our house normally stays between 78 and 80, but what I found was either our A/C unit is in serious need of servicing (but we had that done the end of last year and got a clean bill of health) or it just cannot handle proper heat exchange when the outside ambient temperature is 112. In the late afternoon, with the A/C at full blast, it rose to around 83-84 inside our house (which doesn't help either us or the tank).

The other challenge to keeping our tank temps down is that our fishroom is an uninsulated "external" room (otherwise known as our garage ). So in the heat of the summer and dead of winter we have additional temperature challenges. But since there is no other place for the equiptment, we do what we have to to be able to keep our tank(s)

We had moved the center point of our temperature (between heater and chiller) up to 82, since I knew that it would possibly rise to over 83 (I am just glad that we did that, otherwise the temperature delta would have been way too much). As much as I personally dislike having the tank this warm, it still is better in my mind than having it swing 3 or more degrees each day. It has been at this temperature since Friday, so far so good. As was stated already in thie thread, stability is oft times more important than the actual temperature (within reason, of course :)). I had read before that anything more than a 2 degree swing in a 24 hour period was stressful to fish and corals, some more than others. If you swing more than that watch your fish for possible signs of ich.

My tank reached 86 until I was able to obtain a fan (that wasn't in use) to blow across the top. It now the temp is around 83 and still dropping.

I get a two degree swng every day, no ich here :D

As for a popular fan, computer biscuit fans, or the Vortech are booth excellent choices. Honeywell makes a nice small Vortech'ish fan as well. Moves decent air.

My tank is 83" with a chiller all day long yesterday. I just pull my temp down to 80 degrees today, will probably keep the lights off until later in the evening.

look at the amount of people looking for ac

if you have no central air, getting a portable air unit pointing it @ the fish tank will help @ the same time cool down the tank.

Back