tooo hot! tank temps rising.. what is too hot? what temp is your tank?

the tank hit 88.6 today and is now 80.5. The only saviour is i\i hooked up the RODI unit to the ice maker so my topoff is RODI icecubes to the sump.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7798761#post7798761 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by skooter571
the tank hit 88.6 today and is now 80.5. The only saviour is i\i hooked up the RODI unit to the ice maker so my topoff is RODI icecubes to the sump.

A lot of us are putting ice packs into the sump, then removing them later. You can't be topping off forever. :)

make sure you do it slow or else you'll put your entire tank in shock with the dramatic temp swing.

I sure hope my tank gets through this, i'm getting a 4-6 temp swing every day. last i checked with the lights being off all day and a fan right in the sump it's at 83 which is only 2 deg warmer then this morning. which didn't cool off all the way anyway last night.

Mine's been pretty brutal as well. Have to keep the a/c running most of the day. I had it off from 6pm to 9pm, and came home to an 85 degree tank (6 degree swing). Thankfully I don't have anything but an rbta/fish/cleanup crew in the tank at this point. When I get the halides over the tank this week, I expect the water to boil.

83-85 everyday, i'm having trouble with my tank too. i think i need a clip on fan. does anyone know if that mini chiller by probe is any good.

gavin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7801154#post7801154 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by gavin123
83-85 everyday, i'm having trouble with my tank too. i think i need a clip on fan. does anyone know if that mini chiller by probe is any good.

gavin

don't waste your money. Probes are only good for nano's get a chiller if you have to.

96! coral soup...... : (

I just unplaugged the skimmer for 2 days and the tank stayed at 79 for the weekend. It was at 82 and I noticed some of my SPS had a little bleaching at the tips.

Interesting, I never though of unplugging the skimmer...
This might help alot.
Mags are like little heaters.

Can you freeze some of the tank water? If yes, then you make ice cubes out of them and then just plunk them in sump?

Turn off the actinics.

Ice cubes in a bag tossed in the sump have been the only thing that has saved my tank. came home from going out to eat and the tank was 85.8. lights went off and 2 full bags of ice went in.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7799859#post7799859 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Lordhelmet
I sure hope my tank gets through this, i'm getting a 4-6 temp swing every day. last i checked with the lights being off all day and a fan right in the sump it's at 83 which is only 2 deg warmer then this morning. which didn't cool off all the way anyway last night.

Don't panic. My tanks swing 79 to 84,5 daily in summer, no problems

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7806216#post7806216 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sid700
Can you freeze some of the tank water? If yes, then you make ice cubes out of them and then just plunk them in sump?

Salt water won't freeze

Turn off the actinics.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7805722#post7805722 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vincerama2
My tank hit about 96 and yes, most things are now dead.

V
Brutal. While I ran the generator I had no lights and I didn't run the fan. It got up to 85.. when it usually runs at 82 with Halides blazing. I don't think the lack of light hurt. I'd recommend people run for a day or two with the lights off and a fan running rather than let the temp climb too high. Sorry V, I know that doesn't help you. I can't imagine how that feels, I was in a big panic trying to find a generator in stock with one fish dead and three flapping their gills.

Guys, look into the Penn Plax B11 air pump. It's a battery powered air pump that you plug in and it turns on only when AC power is cut. It's like a UPS for air pumps. It runs on D batteries and should help with mortality when you lose power and the pumps fail.

My temps are back to "normal" around 80-82 and I'm waiting to see what survived. I did a water change last night to help it out (I should have done a water change immeditately to dip temps on Saturday)

I froze large (tupperware) chunks of RO/DI. I just tossed them right into the sump and had a fan blowing across the top of the water (I'm going to rig some comp fans into my hood to prevent this in the future). The fan evaporates water as it cools, so the RO/DI icebergs (in the return pump section so it wouldn't kill even more corals) were really frozen top offs.

V

Back