Torch Coral Striking, then Not So Striking

64Redsea19

Let me preface this by saying, my other corals are doing well (mostly LPS) - My parameters seem to be in a good range, pH 8.3, DKH 12, nitrates 0, Phosphates 0, temperature 76°, salinity 1.025. I have had a torch coral for about two months, the last two weeks it is basically been closed, not completely but short stubby tentacles just barely above the skeleton. I have strong flow but not directly on the corals. Enough flow where the hammer and the torch coral sway in all different directions. I did turn off a powerhead for a few days to see if a lower current would make the torch coral extend, to no avail. My lighting is LED mostly blue and violet running about 12 hours per day, with the white lights (ramped) running about eight hours a day. For successful torch coral hobbyist am I missing something that is apparent? Thanks

Testing-0- on any parameter is not recommended.
Nitrates under 10 & phosphates under .07 would be better. Solution?, but a place to start.

I would also add a dkh of 12 is high. Not saying this is the problem but I run mine at 8 dkh.
Where do you have the coral placed ? Lighting could be the issue, a picture could help.

My phoshates and nitrates do run low, zero or near zero consistently, I do dose with Reef Energy AB and the fish, corals and inverts are fed (nutrients entering the tank outside of biological function) "” Regarding the placement, the Torch is mid level under LEDs. The DKH was/is high, I had to top off with distilled to get it down to 12 dkh - will that have a negative impact on the torch?

If it was above 12 that could be the instigator.
I would run less than 10 DKH.
As far as placement that could depend on light intensity also.

Back