Treating with Vitamin C

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Multiply that gallonage by the concentration you need to achieve and multiply that number by 3.785 to give you the number of liters you are dealing with or treating. Parts per million and milligrams per liter are the same amounts expressed differently. To achieve the correct result thought we need to convert from gallons to liters, hence the multiplication by 3.785.
The number you come up with equals the number of milligrams of vitamin C you need to add to the tank."

i just calculated the amount of vitamin c i would need to achieve 30ppm an i got 1021mg of vitamin c a day . does this sound nuts?

9gallons times 30 =270 times 3.785 - 1021.26mg of vitamin c..

i used this link you gave me. http://www.livingreefs.com/forums/saltwater-aquarium-articles/590-use-vitamin-c.html
does this sound like alot?

Don't go by that chart--go by the one Jeff posted up earlier, one page back. We adjusted the chart to gallons there. What I wanted you to read in that link was what to do with unbuffered ascorbic acid & how to buffer it.

Yes i am dosing just for the enhancement of my zoos and palys.Also i know it may be more expensive but what about dosing with kent vitamin-c or the brightwell vitamin-c.I use the kent stuff now in my fish food for all my fish but now in the quantity i would need to get what you are dosing with the powder.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14143308#post14143308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
triggerfreak, If you're just dosing only for enhancement of your corals, start wiith 1/4 tsp & raise to 1/2 tsp after 4 days (2x/day). If your happy with the results, keep it at that. Add to your sump.

I think you'd use up that bottle in a week dosing at the levels you'll need. How much of the bottle does it take to get your levels up to 5ppm?

All the kent stuff it says is to add 1ml per 50 gallons of water.How to you go about testing for the amount of ppm of vitamin c that you need in the tank.The brightwell says to add 2ml per 20 gallons of tank waterShould you be at a certain amount, like 30ppm.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14153087#post14153087 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I think you'd use up that bottle in a week dosing at the levels you'll need. How much of the bottle does it take to get your levels up to 5ppm?

A few pages back, Jeff posted the amts necessary to add to 100g. What you need to know is how much VC is in the entire bottle, to know how much to add to reach these levels, 2x/day.

For example, the pure sodium ascorbate we are usin here, has 1112 mg VC in 1/4 tsp. To dose a 100g tank at 5ppm, it will take roughly a little over 1/4 tsp (rounded spoon will do). The bottle is only ~$13 for 16oz. I personally suggest keeping levels around 10ppm for better results. I actually dose ~25ppm in my tanks & with sick corals (like zoapox) I am dosing 100ppm.

IBASSFSH your color is amazing. How long had you been dosing the Vit C before you
seen that much improvement? I lost track a few pages back...lol

All of your SPS looks great too! Like I said earlier my orange monti seemed to get
a brighter orange when I started dosing. Did you see the colors on your SPS become
more vibrant?

PS...im a pro photographer and your photos are good...you dont suck...LOL

Reef Aquatics I started dosing on 12-25-08. Everything does seem to have more color. The SPS seem to extend their polyps more, and are showing more color. I have not been dosing very long, so the corals react pretty quick.
Thanks for the photo comments, but I do wish I was better at knowing which settings to use and when. I cannot figure out how to set a custom white balance on my Canon Xti. Everything turns out really blue unless I shoot in RAW mode.

The kent marine-c is ( ascorbic acid 1250 mg/oz )And the bottle is a 8 fl oz ( 236.6 ml)
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14153137#post14153137 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
A few pages back, Jeff posted the amts necessary to add to 100g. What you need to know is how much VC is in the entire bottle, to know how much to add to reach these levels, 2x/day.

For example, the pure sodium ascorbate we are usin here, has 1112 mg VC in 1/4 tsp. To dose a 100g tank at 5ppm, it will take roughly a little over 1/4 tsp (rounded spoon will do). The bottle is only ~$13 for 16oz. I personally suggest keeping levels around 10ppm for better results. I actually dose ~25ppm in my tanks & with sick corals (like zoapox) I am dosing 100ppm.

Seems like I saw somewhere in this huge thread that u can use sodium ascorbate or calcium ascorbate as long as they are buffered. I noticed Iherb has both. Is one better than the other? I see Puff is using sodium ascorbate.

I use the sodium ascorbate because it's cheaper! Calcium or magnesium ascorbate is fine also.

triggerfreak, Considering I am adding ~13,500mg to my 100g system/day (and that's only 1 of my 3 tanks), that whole bottle is less than I dose in my tank in 1 day!

Ok thanks.I will keep this for soaking in my food and get the powder for the reef tank./
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14156839#post14156839 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pufferpunk
I use the sodium ascorbate because it's cheaper! Calcium or magnesium ascorbate is fine also.

triggerfreak, Considering I am adding ~13,500mg to my 100g system/day (and that's only 1 of my 3 tanks), that whole bottle is less than I dose in my tank in 1 day!

You sold me on the idea pfferpunk. I just have to replace my test kits (alk, calc, and ph) to make sure my parameters are right and stable, and VC will be next on the list. I have been struggling with colors and the on again, off again opening and closing of zoas for years.

I have been following the VC dosing since it was first braught up, but figured I would wait for a very long time and watch what happens. Sounds like its definitly worth a try now. Pretty much passed the test of time in my books.

so puffer, you say 13k mg, so you add roughly 15 grams? I have a 120 with about 140 gal h20. i just upped my dose to 5 grams.... so i am around 5-7ppm correct. Just now getting results i was hoping for...

Im up to one table spoon 2x/day (13.3g - 35ppm) in my 100g with zoa pox. The pallys have opened up like crazy and other corals show a small difference. My RTBA likes it the most. he's extending massively during the day.

I plan on getting it to 100ppm like puffer suggested.

xl_1231710935_945f7924dd6a5f67716373e4cc243cb0.jpg

Please let me know if this is enough to cure your pox. I got desperate (these were my Purple Hornets!) & even though I saw the pox shrinking from the VC, I still dipped in Furan just in case.

Do you have a before pic of that nem?

I thought I would post my before/after pics again, of the Tubb's Bues that started this all:

Newly purchased:
TubsBlues.jpg

Melting:
SickBlues.jpg

After 3 months of dosing:
TubbsBlues.jpg

See all the new babies below?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back