Trigger Problem...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MidnightSmoker

So I have a tank set up for a Undulated Trigger. I have looked up the specs that's not the problem. Recently I saw a video on utube of one chewing the inside of the Silicone Aquarium Sealant... Do I need to set up plastic lining?
I would appreciate it if you mentioned your experience with Triggers when replying.

If this is for your 55 gallon your tank is waaaaay too small for any species of trigger. :)

That's not what multiple dealers online say they say 50 and 55 which is what I plan on starting with. With that being said do you own or have any information on the subject?

i have owned almost every trigger that has been on the market even a undy and i have never had a problem with them chewing on the aquarium or power cords.You will be fine.

That's not what multiple dealers online say they say 50 and 55 which is what I plan on starting with. With that being said do you own or have any information on the subject?

Live Aquaria recommends a 180 gallon tank. If you find multiple dealers recommending a 50 gallon tank for an undulate, you probably need to find different online companies.

Feel free to start with the biggest tank you want with yours, I won't argue over what's best obviously bigger would be better. But considering he will be alone and not full grown in the minimum size recommended I see no problem here.

You have posted that you are a beginner in the hobby. I will tell you that this fish is one of the largest and meanest fish available. I will tell you that it is a bad idea to put it in a 55 gallon tank. There are many other fish much more suitable. You will obviously make your own decision, but I suggest you at least consider delaying this purchase until you obtain this "future" upgrade.

I didn't challenge the fact that online vendors list that parameter. I am telling that they aren't giving sound husbandry advice (after all, they do want you to buy the fish).

Undulated Triggers don't swim as much they tend to hang out in a cave.

Not sure where you got that idea from, but as far living in a tank goes, they will swim quite actively all over the tank. They also have a way of making themselves become the only fish living in the tank, especially something as small as a 55. Most obnoxious trigger I've ever kept, and I've dealt with nearly every trigger found in the trade. So if you go with the undulate, I would advise against adding any other fish.

Lol...this fish gets a foot long....so it should be good in a tank only a foot wide, right?

Really ridiculous if you think about it...a foot long fish doesn't belong in your foot wide tank any more than 300 hermits and snails belong in there. Just because you can find someone who wants to sell it to you that says it is fine, doesn't make it so.
You wanted experience with triggers...and have been told that they are not the "lay in wait" sort of predator you were expecting. In fact, seems you have been getting many tips about keeping triggers that you are ignoring. If you are going to stuff fish that get a foot long in your 55 gallon tank and there is no way we can convince you this is a bad idea...why ask anything here at all?

Hearing that you are just beginning to venture into Marine Aquaria, a lot of sound advice from some very, VERY experienced people was shared with you. What everyone has been said is not a Myth, or stories with no proof.
What you are doing, or going to do, has been attempted already, many times over. And it doesn't work. Thats why the sharing of information and experience is so valuable!

Well with this stated above

"i have owned almost every trigger that has been on the market even a undy and i have never had a problem with them chewing on the aquarium or power cords.You will be fine."

And other multiple sources I have listed. Also keeping in mind it will be a 3 inch fish alone, and I'm not planning on making this a permanent tank for it. However because it's near the end of the cycle and just set up I'm not going to part ways with it while I have a 3 inch fish. Maybe when he is 8-9 inches but not now. Thanks for the advice this is my plan.

Hearing that you are just beginning to venture into Marine Aquaria, a lot of sound advice from some very, VERY experienced people was shared with you. What everyone has been said is not a Myth, or stories with no proof.
What you are doing, or going to do, has been attempted already, many times over. And it doesn't work. Thats why the sharing of information and experience is so valuable!

I agree. However, there are some people who do what they want irrespective of whether it is a good idea or not. C'est la vie.

I'm going to close this thread now since you've made it absolutely clear that you have no desire to listen to any advice offered to you that doesn't agree with you doing what you want. :) It'll be better for everybody to move along to help other folks who are more open to listening to the voice of experience.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back