Trouble glueing ABS bulkheads to PVC

Eud

I just tried to glue in my ABS bulkheads to 1" PVC for the BeanAnimal overflow I'm installing. I used the all-purpose clear cleaner on them which says it's good for ABS and PVC and other stuff, then I used the green "transition" cement which is supposed to be for ABS to PVC joints in non-pressurized applications.

I held the first one for about 30 seconds, but it still pushed out really badly, so I shoved it back and held longer. They kept pushing out even though I went up to about 2 minutes for the last one. Now they're gripping by only about 1/4", which means I'll probably cut it all out and try again.

Anyone have any tips for getting this to work right and not push out? I can clamp them until they set, I guess. Or am I missing something obvious?

IMAG0009_zps71bc9c46.jpg

IMAG0010_zpsd2205449.jpg

IMAG0011_zps224d96aa.jpg

I just used the regular one step pvc plumbing cement. My contact held quickly, but I duct taped my plumbing to keep it from pulling away overnight.

i recently did the same thing using the green stuff also, but no issues whatsoever. i always chamfer the edge of the pipe with a utility knife. Not sure if this helps.

One thing I also did, which may have caused it, is that I cut about 1/2 inch off the back of the abs bulkhead to make the plumbing just a smidge more compact to the back of the tank. I figured I wouldn't need as large of a gluing surface since it wasn't holding pressure, but maybe a larger contact area for the solvent would have grabbed better.

Think that's what happened?

I use it all the time. It works great. It don't do the push out like PVC cement does. shove it in twist and it stays in place. Thats the main reason I use it. Over time I have had PVC cement push out my fittings as they cured and didn't noticed till too late.

Back