TTM using just a single tank?

Charley Diesing

Is it possible to do the TTM with a single tank?...

Something like this...

1) Remove fish from tank.

2) Put fish in bucket with air stone.

3) Clean/sterilize/dry tank and equipment

4) Fill tank w/ new SW

5) Drip acclimate fish to new tank/water.

6) Put fish back in.

Thanks,

Charley

Nope. You really need to let the equipment dry out for at least a day to ensure that the ich cysts die.

TTM can be done in buckets, so long as the fish have enough room. Home Depot buckets are like $5 each. What sort of fish are you planning on?

Nope. You really need to let the equipment dry out for at least a day to ensure that the ich cysts die.

TTM can be done in buckets, so long as the fish have enough room. Home Depot buckets are like $5 each. What sort of fish are you planning on?

This.

Could a copper band butterfly(dream fish considering my next build to be built around this fish) be done doing the bucket method?

I ask because I'll be in an apartment. Wife will not allow for me to have multiple tanks. Nor do I really want multiple tanks its a one bedroom and space is limited as it is.

Buckets will be fine, depending on how big the fish is. IMO, a 2-4 inch Copperband should be ok. May I ask why are you drip acclimating between TTM? Just make sure the next transfer has matching temp and salinity and just dump the fish in.

A day of drying will not guarantee that actually every spot on the equipment has dried sufficiently or long enough unless you live somewhere where the climate is particularly dry. In Florida and similarly humid climates I wouldn't rely on drying at all.

Also, drying is absolutely not required to kill the cysts if the equipment is properly sterilized via heat or bleach or even sufficiently long submersed in pure freshwater.

Though any form of sterilization will require more time than I would want to let fish hang out in a bucket.

The minimum requirements for TTM are 2 sets of equipment.

And while buckets are a possibility, I wouldn't use them, especially not for newly acquired fish. The concern is that you are unable to observe the fish properly and react if they come down with something else than ich.
5 or 10 gallon tanks are cheap enough to get at least two.

Money is not the issue. Space is the issue. Buckets can easily be stored once used unlike aquariums... I can also use buckets for multiple purposes.

I have a 29 gallon tank, a 20 gallon tank and a 15 gallon tank.. The 15 fits in the 20, and the 20 fits in the 29...

All 3 tanks take up the same amount of space in the attic for storage!

TTM is a great preventative and reactive treatment. It's not hard, but it takes time. Do yourself a favor and don't use the same tank! That's wasted effort!

Use buckets. Add many PVC pipes for hiding. (Different PVC pipes for each bucket.)

Good luck.

Back