Tube Anemone addiction

I have a small light blue centered green Tube anemone for almost a year.
But it doesnt actually grow in size..since the 1st day i got it.

I do regular feedings of small shrimp pieces; fish pellets, cycolopeez..

Has ur tube anemone grow in size? what do you feed them..

They are bad stingers for my fishes..when i turn tank lights off...my clownfish wonders around blindly sometimes n got stung by it ha

Mopiko:
Try giving larger quantities of food. Since they are not photosythetic all there nutrition comes from feeding and it does not sound like your tube anemone is taking in much. Mine really love squid ( the shredded kind for fish) as well as scallop and shrimp. It will grow pretty steady when its happy. My larger one has kind slowed its growth now but it might just be becuase its getting to its max size.

Mine are actually starting to grow upward, seems like they are angling on their own. My sand bed is only 4", but they seem happy. As far as feeding, I feed my tank a bit heavier, and the tubes catch a lot of the food, the fish get the rest. I never focus feed them, but I dont want them to grow faster, I like the sizes they are.

None of my fish have a problem with the tubes, but they are in a 75, what size tank do you have? All my fish seem to know they will sting and stay away from them.

I was never really trying to make mine grow fast but I do think they need to be spot fed 2-3 times a week with a decent amount of food since they are only getting scrapes from my reg feeding. I noticed the one I have in medium flow angled itself to go with the flow and the one in a pretty low flow area stand up more. I actually built up the sand bed where I put mine so they are both in around 6in of sand. I have a 150xh...my fish steer very clear of my tubes :)

How deep of a sand bed are you using? My understanding is they require a true DSB (6"). Most tanks I've seen them in have just a regular SB. I'm wondering about the longevity in this situation.

here's a picture of mine. have only about 1-2 inches of sand . I've had it for about 7-8 years . still going strong :)

rayspictures263.jpg

Thanks for the pic, love it. I am glad to hear you have had it for so long. I wasn't sure if they would live for a long time or not, but sounds like they survive. Do you focus feed it very often, or just let it catch extra fish food? Has it grown to a big size?

Thanks for the pic, love it. I am glad to hear you have had it for so long. I wasn't sure if they would live for a long time or not, but sounds like they survive. Do you focus feed it very often, or just let it catch extra fish food? Has it grown to a big size?

I'm guessing you're asking me... I don't target feed much , but i did feed it a dead clown goby a while back. I have anthias and feed often that's all it gets. as far as growth mine has gone from about 5 inches to about 8. i did a tank upgrade 2 1/2 years ago and i placed it to close to a pump. so I don't think it was getting enough food. moved the pump and now it's fat and happy again !

Yeah, I was asking you. Thanks for the reply. I have not really target fed mine, so its good to know they can survive with just stray food. They do get some stuff, just not a ton. Seems like they want low flow, which is where mine are. I am surprised they could take in an entire fish. I guess that is where they get the reputation for eating fish. Thanks for the info.

Nice nem's, I'd like to get a pink or orange one too. Here's a pic of mine, phone pic doesn't do her justice though... I too only have 1-2" of sand so I built a little cave over the part still out of the sand, like to target feed because it's one of the coolest things to watch eat.

Attachments

• 2011-04-22 22.50.48.jpg
    2011-04-22 22.50.48.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 2
I just added a purple one to go with my pink one. I actually fill a void in my rocks with sand and put him in there. He seems happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is an amazing tube. I rarely see the true orange ones. If ever you want to sell, let me know. Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Checked it out, and olny saw the lavender tube nem. Were the orange ones in his store or something? Should I e-mail and ask about them?

Yeah, shoot him an e-mail. You can also check them out on his posting on SDReefs (look in the FT/FS Forum. He probably just hasn't put them online yet.

Those are great shots! Is it really that orange? I love to watch mine shovel cyclops into its mouth. Here is the one of mine that has been hiding under the rock. Now it is out all day and night:

backupcamera042911354a.jpg

Here is my purple one. I can't get a good angle with the camera but you get the idea.

backupcamerab.jpg

Last edited:
Back