Tunze osmolator question

Vorog

When I do a water change or anything that requires me to unplug my return pump. I alway unplug my ATO in this case tunze osmolator to stop the alarm from sounding that the water level has raised in the sump. Now when I power it back on, it automatically pumps in more RO water even if the sump is at the normal water level. Which results in lowering my salinity a small amount. And over time a lot. So my question is how do you stop that or should I invest in another float holder and mount it somewhere higher up? Other than that this ATO kicks ***, been running it for about 7 months now.

This is one of the multiple things I don't like about the Osmo. Every time u plug it in it runs the pump for a bit before the Spensor shuts it off. I don't think there is a way to stope this.

Roger

Even the jbj auto top off does this unplug it and plug it back in it runs the pump for about 5 seconds...I could imagine a smaller system would be affected by this added fresh water ...but for what they do for us you have to take the good from the bad I used to manually top off my tank every day life is much simpler with an ato...

This is one of the multiple things I don't like about the Osmo. Every time u plug it in it runs the pump for a bit before the Spensor shuts it off. I don't think there is a way to stope this.

Roger

Yeah that's my only complaint with it. Thinking about running the float switch higher up so I'd never have to unplug the unit.

Even the jbj auto top off does this unplug it and plug it back in it runs the pump for about 5 seconds...I could imagine a smaller system would be affected by this added fresh water ...but for what they do for us you have to take the good from the bad I used to manually top off my tank every day life is much simpler with an ato...

I definitely appreciate this product! It saves me a lot of trouble topping the system off and this ATO has some of the highest reviews so that's why I spent the extra money on this one. It's built to last. Think I will run the float higher up in sump

I've always wondered about this as well, but it shouldn't change the salinity level over time. I know it doesn't pump this much in, but for the sake of this thread lets go with a big number. Let's say you plug it back in and it adds a half gallon of extra water. Yes it would lower the salinity right then, but the salintly would adjust back to normal once that half gallon burns off and the ato tops off like it should from that point forward.

Mine does not do this at all. I run an ultra float switch by ultra life. It's about 7 years old and has never failed me. I do have an extra slow pump in it so if it ever got stuck on it would take over 24 hrs to overflow my sump.

Mine does not do this at all. I run an ultra float switch by ultra life. It's about 7 years old and has never failed me.

The Ultralife is an entirely different beast altogether. While both the JBJ and Tunze could be labeled as "smart"-controllers the Ultralife is dumb by comparison. Simple on vs. off, no extra features and no safety. In this specific situation, the dumbness is an advantage. Keeping a pump from burning up should/when the float sticks in the "on" position, not so much.

The Ultralife is an entirely different beast altogether. While both the JBJ and Tunze could be labeled as "smart"-controllers the Ultralife is dumb by comparison. Simple on vs. off, no extra features and no safety. In this specific situation, the dumbness is an advantage. Keeping a pump from burning up should/when the float sticks in the "on" position, not so much.

Agreed it is dumb. I have owned 2 Tunze Osmo and took them both off line after a month. I had more water height fluctuation with that pump. Also the pump is very loud.

Yes I use a peristaltic pump. So no damage if run dry. It also only adds 50 ml per minute. So if even stuck in the on position it would take a long time to cause a catastrophic problems. The slow pump is nice for dosing Kalk also

Tunze osmolator question

I've always wondered about this as well, but it shouldn't change the salinity level over time. I know it doesn't pump this much in, but for the sake of this thread lets go with a big number. Let's say you plug it back in and it adds a half gallon of extra water. Yes it would lower the salinity right then, but the salintly would adjust back to normal once that half gallon burns off and the ato tops off like it should from that point forward.

Over time no, but it's more annoying then anything else when you see the water level is at the right height, you plug the pump in and it adds water.

Agreed it is dumb. I have owned 2 Tunze Osmo and took them both off line after a month. I had more water height fluctuation with that pump. Also the pump is very loud.

Yes I use a peristaltic pump. So no damage if run dry. It also only adds 50 ml per minute. So if even stuck in the on position it would take a long time to cause a catastrophic problems. The slow pump is nice for dosing Kalk also

That's not a bad idea at all to use a peristaltic pump and add Kalk to the RO water. I take it you just figure out how much water you burn in a day, and put the pump on a timer for that amount, like you would anything else?

Back