turbo snails lead to maxima demise

Lucky Lefty

have had my maxima since September 2014. Has been doing well for the whole time.
A few days ago I noticed a couple turbo snails had spun the clam around a little more than a 180. While cleaning the rock he sits on they kind of bulldozed him. I think they may have damaged his foot by spinning him.
He still seemed fine until yesterday morning.
The largest (huge) turbo must have crawled onto the side of the clam and brought him tumbling down to the sand.
I came downstairs to find the clam face down in the sand with the turbo still attached to his shell.
He wasn't looking good at this point. First time I noticed any type of gaping.
Just now, my wife wakes me up to tell me she found the clam on the sand again so she picked it up and a bristleworm came out of him. Came downstairs and half of his mantle is gone.
very sad indeed. He was one of my favorite things in the tank.
I didn't remove him just yet, but from all the things I've learned this far is that he's pretty much a goner.
The turbo snail disruption is the only thing I can attribute to the loss.
Happy Sunday :/

Pretty crappy feeling this morning scraping the remains of what was such a beautiful creature out of his shell.
Sad indeed.

sorry about the loss of any clam. the lesson to learn, however, is that maxis work really well if they are attached to a small piece of rubble rock, rather than being fully grabbed onto a big rock. that way they can be moved, and can't be hurt by the situation you describe.

thanks guys I appreciate it. lessons have definitely been learned here. going to take some time before getting my next clam. the smaller rock would have definitely helped he was on a rock about the size of a small dinner plate. yesterday I was still in shock that I had to scrape out the remains of that beautiful clam.

Back