Turn over for sps

batt600

Alot of people that have sps dont now how much flow thay need . So im going to tell you 60 to 80 turn over is just right for sps. Now how do i now how much turn over is in my DT, Its very simple add up all you PH in you dt tank and return the return is trick so say you have a mag 9.5 with 3/4 pvc and its about 4 feet up to Dt , you will average about 700gph so add all the Ph and return pump and divid it buy your DT gallons For example this is from my tank Ph 1200gph + PH 1200 gph+ wavebox 5000 gph + return pump 700gph = 8100 gph Dividid bye 120g = 67.5 turn over in display tank.

ok i'll bite please tell us how you have come to the conclusion that sps need 60 to 80 turn over? also one would think that by your remark that the total turn over is key while in reality the amout of flow matters sure but the type of flow is the real key.

I have read this a long time ago in a book and applyed this to my tank and tested this and had notices that the more turnover the better poply ext you have and the happer you sps are milis really love it the most. There is a post here to on RC about that as well its pretty old ill see if i can find it

I am only asking becuase that was the general point of view a few years ago, nowdays people seem to be getting better results with not as much flow as the kind of flow. it seems that what sps really love is swirls and eddys, basically chaotic flow beats turnover.

I understand what your saying . Not constant flow but pulsing flow like wave movement right. I did notice that in pulse mode on the mp40 i got better responce from sps then straight flow and with the wave box thay loved it more

Last edited:
Im talking about constant flow harry . But i do know what diverrad is talking about but this is all about flow sps love flow

my turnover is;

1200 k4
1200 k4
800 k3
3500 polario
240 kNano
1200 (mag 9.5 x2)

total 8190/120 = 68.25

and agreed type of flow is just as important as how much flow. i find that with the many ph i have my flow tends to be quite random, and like said above, millis love that, and it makes for a much more natural look then the common "to and fro" caused by wave boxes and some vortech settings ( not saying i wouldnt get them, i would just adjust there placement to combat that. )

My tank
Tunze 6205: 5,811gph +
Tunze 6105: 3,434gph +
MP40 3,200 gph+
MP40PH 3,200 gph+
wavebox 5,000 gph +
return pump 1900gph =
22,545 gph
Divide by 220g =
102.48 turnover in my display tank.
As I dont have my MP40's at full blast (mainly because I hate the noise) I adjusted my calculations with the resultant = 95.20 turnover
Its nice to see a quantitative value in flow estimations but placement of PH's, and a clear understanding of coral placement, witha mixture of lighting, chemistry, and husbandry all plays a major role in SPS reef keeping.

Back