Turtle Grass??

Anyone know where i might be able to get some turtle grass? I have heard some good things about it and since I just got my fuge plumbed into the system and don't have any macros as of yet, I was wanting to know where I might get some from.

Anyone have any input, good or bad on this type of grass?

Thanx,
Rog

Turtle Grass

Turtle Grass

Well, I've never experienced it "smelling to high heaven", and I've had some floating in some holding tanks for over two months with some new growth forming. So, IMO, it grows well, it's hardy, and any growth you get from it means it is removing a lot more nutrients than macro algae. It is a true plant and it requires a whole lot more nutrients to grow than does algae. It may also remove some nutrients that caulerpas or other macros cannot. On the other hand Caulerpas and other macros probably remove things that the turtle grass can't. My advise use a little of both. It sure does look good!

The Stink is from the muck on the roots ;) When planted in an organic rich substrate, the blades can actually grow pretty quickly. I've also seen some growth on any that end up floating in my holding tanks, but the growth on the planted ones is much quicker. They will root feed from the sand bed, something Macro's don't do.

Re: Turtle Grass

Re: Turtle Grass

FloridaPets said:
My advise use a little of both. It sure does look good!

What is the chance of getting some of it from you, any possibilities?

Thanx,
Rog

In case you didn't catch it two of the guys that responded to your thread sell the stuff. Go to Bill's reef or Florida pets and check them out.

I believe that some Turtle Grasses need much higher lighting than what's over most peoples fuge's.

Back when my tank was setup, the Turtle Grass that I was growing wouldn't survive in low light setups. I switched to a 400W 6.5K bulb and the grass finally started growing again. Turtle grasses also need a lot of iron as well. I remember reading sometime back that you could get around that issue by placing a different type of mud in the fuge.

Bill correct me if I'm wrong...

I finally got my light bulb for my lighting setup (150w 10k DE HQI) on my new seagrass/seahorse Caribbean biotope tank, but before that, I just had a 15w strip light over the 24"-high 20 gallon tank. The grass actually surprisingly grew under that lighting. Hopefully I'll get lots of growth with the 'real' lighting though! :D
-Will

Back