Tweeking my Sump Refugium

ArgonDreams

Premium Member
I made my own Sump/Refugium. It's a 10 Gallon Tank w/Baffles and a refugium.

I have a Hurricane Overflow rated at 600GPH and an Eheim 1250 Return pump. I also have a Coralife Super Skimmer 65 in the sump as well.

The issue is my understanding of what I am seeing. The overflow seems to be working great. I have shut off the system a couple times to test the restart abilities and it works like it is supposed to.

However, I want to understand what I am seeing in the sump part of the system. The first chamber is where the overflow comes down. In this chamber is the skimmer. Then it goes through a bubble baffle system of three baffles into the Refugium section. Then it goes through a grate system into the return section.

The issue is that the first chamber the water level is constant, it doesn't go up or down. The refugium/return section slowly lowers over time. At first I thought I needed to dial back my pump via a ball valve. But now I am wondering if this is the natural evap off of the system lowering it slowly.

Thoughts as to this?

Not sure if evaporation, how long does it take for it to go down. I just set up a new fuge and I have to control the in and out with ball valves. I have a life reef overflow into a 30 gal custom acrylic( very similar to your setup), Octopus 150 and a Mag 7. I have to limit the mag quite a bit. Also check and make sure your overflow is level. If my u tube is not level, the outer chamber continues to completely drain and not stay constant. Good luck

Back