twitching foxface?

Beemo

Moved On
i have a juvenile foxface lo and whenever a fish comes near him he twitches his top fin, is this normal?
his back is also a bit browner than i thought, arent they supposed to have yellow bodies?
his lower body is yellow but his back is brown, will this change as he becomes an adult? hes about 1.5"
ill try and post a picture later on tonight

Wow, that's a small one. Mine is about 4 - 5".

Yes, that is normal. At least for mine. Mine took about 3 months before he would turn completely yellow. I believe my Yellow Tang was scaring him. The twitching the top fin is normal too. I think it's their way of saying Back Off. Not sure though. HTH

heres a pic of him, i only have him a few day but hes eating well, flakes and nori. so his color looks ok?

100_1801.jpg

He looks normal. He may or may not yellow up completely. Mine is sometimes full yellow and other times not fully yellow.

Your fish looks more yellow than mine did in the begining. The yellow on mine was more brownish white. It is fine.

I have a Masked Spinefoot Rabbitfish (Siganus Puellus) & he flicks his spines whenever my Regal Tang upsets him,it's a warning.

Twitching the top fin is because this fin is loaded with toxin: anything tries to eat him gets a mouthful.

As I hear it secondhand, from someone who saw the results, the sting results in local necrosis [the area turns black and sloughs] and is about like a fiddleback spider at its worst, actually comparable to a lionfish. Always know where that fish is when moving rockwork, as they slant themselves under a rock and turn rock-colored when panicked. When I went in to remove my scribbled rabbit [by moving rock] I used leather gloves under my aquarium gloves and even then was very, very careful not to close down on anything until I was sure it wasn't him.

Back