Uhh Oh - possible leak

I think you should go for it.... As big as you want. You served your sentence already with the warden.

30" isn't that bad. Mine is 7'x32"x30"H. 24" would be just right. Easy enough to move corals around and lighting is not a problem at that depth.
You clearly don't know the warden...

I think it comes down to what is most important to you Bean.
  • Least amount of work
  • Lowest cost
  • Happy wife

Glass Cages 60x20x24 v2.png

Quick and dirty rendering showing old (48x18x21) tank and stand with proposed new 60x20x24 tank overlaid. Sorry for the odd reflections... didn't feel like fiddling with the environment settings.

I am so afraid of acrylic - I am not a delicate person. I could tear up an anvil on accident.
Same. Just throwing out some options. I would appreciate the lightweightness of large aquariums and super easy to modify but definitely scratchville. We need them to invent the transparent aluminum!

Same. Just throwing out some options. I would appreciate the lightweightness of large aquariums and super easy to modify but definitely scratchville. We need them to invent the transparent aluminum!
Lightweight, easy to modify and cheap are certainly attractive. I have many folks pushing me in that direction, I just don't want scratches and buyers remorse to follow. I also am not thrilled to have to move a #350 pound tank down steps and into place.

We don't need Scotty
Aluminium oxynitride (marketed under the name ALON by Surmet Corporation[3]) is a transparent ceramic composed of aluminium, oxygenand nitrogen. Aluminium oxynitride is optically transparent (≥ 80%) in the near-ultraviolet, visible, and mid-wave-infrared regions of the electromagnetic spectrum. It is four times as hard as fused silica glass, 85% as hard as sapphire, and nearly 115% as hard as magnesium aluminate spinel. It can be fabricated into transparent windows, plates, domes, rods, tubes, and other forms using conventional ceramic powder processing techniques.[

What are your capabilities? Can you make a stand or reseal your old tank.
Buy a conventional reef ready 180 or 150 and make a stand? Where there is a will there is a way.

In a past life I would consider building my own glass aquarium - the warden forbids such activity now. I used to enjoy those things, but have since realized the time, money and frustration that is never quite calculated correctly beforehand.

As for re-seal... Same thing, I would just buy an off the shelf 75 and drill it like I did this one, but for a better closed loop. Current tank has single intake bulkhead for Oceans Motions that I took offline years ago. Wonderful product and Paul is a great guy, I just don't want to deal with the maintenance of the darn thing.

The problem with most off the shelf aquariums over 75 is the depth. I have 20 inches to work with - 25 max including plumbing. So the external overflow box allows the plumbing to go underneath.

Stand, wall demo, all of that stuff, yeah no problem. But the bigger the project, mess and time, the more I will be treated like Cool Hand Luke...
So the 48" wide taller tank will not set her crazy... but ripping a large portion of the wall down to go wider.... ummm

"BIGGER IS NOT BETTER" repeats the warden at the onset and planning of every project. I nod, but find myself somehow in trouble every time.

The loophole - Tank is in home theater. Paint is no longer made - Sherwin Williams "soft suede" - it was a textured finish that looks like suede leather. There is water damage from 2 different (non tank related) water events (sump pump related). The aquarium wall is the one with damage. So fixing it is on the docket... new drywall - paint match and attempt to add texture (mix in some sand, mud, I dunno).

Also she has been watching the fish a bit here and there.

Back