Understanding and choosing t5 Ballast. diy

T5/HO ballasts are application specific. The first technology where this was the case, and an ICN4s54 is not intended to run F39T5/HO lamps. It just burns them up. IceCap had some trouble with this, saying that their 660 T12/VHO ballast was suitable for running T5/HO lamps. I have an ICN-2S54 in my hand and the ballast says: FT36/39W, which is a CFL, not a T5/HO. You need to get your hands on a ICN-4S39 ballast, if you want to run 39watt T5/HO lamps. Easy enough mistake to make, but can get expensive blowing out lamps.

Sorry reviving an old thread...

Is there an ICN-4S39 ballast (4x39w t5ho)?

I have not been able to locate one, but my wife says my g00gle skills suck...:hmm3:

I've gotten my ballasts from 1000bulbs.com it's worth a look if you havent already

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've gotten my ballasts from 1000bulbs.com it's worth a look if you havent already

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes I have looked. Do you happen to have the manufacturer and part# for yours?

4x39w (36" t5ho)?

I remember looking when playing with my T5s (since replaced with MH). I ended up with a QTP-4X54T5HO for some reason on 4 36" bulbs but i can't recall why... Quick google doesn't say its compatible with 39w lights at all.

They seemed to work fine, its just the LEDs they accompanied gave up and i got tired of trying to coax the LEDs back to life every so often.

One page did come up with this:

"Compatible with:
(1 to 4) - 54 watt T5 HO lamps
or any 4 lamp combination to a maximum of 216 watts"

Last edited:
Sorry reviving an old thread...

Is there an ICN-4S39 ballast (4x39w t5ho)?

I have not been able to locate one, but my wife says my g00gle skills suck...:hmm3:

Well, I will not say your google skills suck... I made that post a long time ago, and am not sure whether I was thinking 4S, or 2S—and wrote 4S. At the current time, there is no such thing as a ICN-4S39 for F39T5/HO lamps as far as I can find. You will have good luck finding ICN-2S39 ballasts all day long. As mentioned, 1000 Bulbs is a good source for ballasts, especially Phillips Advance Ballasts.

Back