Unofficial VORTECH is READY thread

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
How about we keep this post active for clp, kenargo, russ or anyone to announce when the Vortech module for Apex is available. I'm rocking on ready, and in fact will probably add a third or fourth Vortech when the module is released...

Anybody else waiting impatiently? :bounce3:

LL

I'm waiting on more information as I have an ACIII and a Vortech. I'd like to see all the info so I can figure out if I'm upgrading to an Apex + Vortech controller or not.

Also trying to figure out if I'm going to have to buy the new EcoSmart Driver as well...lots of $$$ at stake...

In another thread, the Vortech top guy said it would not be necessary to buy the EcoSmart Driver.

LL

I wouldn't think you would need to buy both, but I don't think "which one" is that straight forward of a decision. The question is how much will the Vortech module cost and how easy will it be to program the pumps to the same level of sophistication that the new Ecosmart controller is supposed to offer. That and the EcoSmart is on sale for, I believe, $75 for a few weeks as an introductory price, and is supposed to provide a lot of new wave and synchronization features.

I wouldn't think you would need to buy both, but I don't think "which one" is that straight forward of a decision. The question is how much will the Vortech module cost and how easy will it be to program the pumps to the same level of sophistication that the new Ecosmart controller is supposed to offer. That and the EcoSmart is on sale for, I believe, $75 for a few weeks as an introductory price, and is supposed to provide a lot of new wave and synchronization features.

i agree on this... i just upgraded to an APEX a few weeks ago... kind of wish I would have waited now, I would have bought the ecoSmart instead...kind of getting upset that neptune isnt even saying a word about the vortech module... atleast say its coming soon and give a price range.

I think you guys may have a misconception. (Or perhaps I am totally bonkers!)

Here's my take on all this...

The apex's interface will wirelessly communicate with the older WWD or the new ES wireless drivers.

The Apex module will not replace the Vortech driver... it talks with them.

So it's not a matter of Apex Vortech module OR EcoTech driver... in order for them to communicate wirelessly, you still must have either a WWD or an ES on each pump.

If my *theory* is correct, the Vortech drivers would be put into a slave mode, and the Apex module would act as a master, giving control commands to each slave pump.

Additionally, my understanding is that a third-party controller has to work within the capabilities of the driver. So, an Apex module controlling an ES-based pump would be able to do more than if were controlling a WWD-based pump.

Curt>>>

Yes, that is exactly how it works. There is a new profile type called vortech in which in you set the time/intensity parameters and mode type. You will then assign the profile to a pump just like you do with AquaSurf or the variable speed ports. So you can make a pump be constant, lagoon, resonate, pulse, eco-smart modes, sync with another pump, anti-sync with another pump, etc. The pump modes, sync/anti-sync relationships can be changed as you desire.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Curt

So, the Apex module will not provide any new wave mode options or flexibility, just what is already available through the vortech module? And if you want the increased functionality of the ecosmart through the Apex, we'll need to buy both the ecosmart and apex modules?

If that's true, it might be wise to buy the Ecosmarts now while they are 25% off.

So, the Apex module will not provide any new wave mode options or flexibility
Just the ability to change modes by programmed schedule, turn off or slow down during feed cycles, etc. is a huge increase in flexibility IMO.

Agreed, but will we all also want the Ecosmart drivers or will the Apex module add enough flexibility to make the current vortec driver more than adequate.

Agreed, but will we all also want the Ecosmart drivers or will the Apex module add enough flexibility to make the current vortec driver more than adequate.
I think we'll just have to wait and see what magic Curt conjures :)

the vortech module will be enough for me... the ecosmart adds a couple more wavemodes, but i dont care about those. the ones in the original driver work fine enough for me, especially since i will be able to cycle through them automatically now using apex programming. also i dont care much about the teal color, or whatever it is, for the slave mode pump on the back. i think those were the main additions in the ecosmart driver over the original.

the vortech module will be enough for me... the ecosmart adds a couple more wavemodes, but i dont care about those. the ones in the original driver work fine enough for me, especially since i will be able to cycle through them automatically now using apex programming. also i dont care much about the teal color, or whatever it is, for the slave mode pump on the back. i think those were the main additions in the ecosmart driver over the original.

I do like the ability to monitor the battery power remaining when running on backup power.

I want wait for the Apex / Vortech unit... hitting my feed mode and being able to slow down or stop my vortechs without cutting power to them would be great.

would anyone know... and be able to tell me... will the Apex/Vortech unit be like the PM1 and PM2 and give you 6 additional inputs?

Checked the Neptune website this morning - nothing new on the Vortech module...

Has anybody talked to Curt about an updated release date? Results of any Beta testing?

LL

i agree on this... i just upgraded to an APEX a few weeks ago... kind of wish I would have waited now, I would have bought the ecoSmart instead...kind of getting upset that neptune isnt even saying a word about the vortech module... atleast say its coming soon and give a price range.

I have the econtech upgrdes and they are worth the price to me just to keep them current.. I could see why other wouldnt but that is largley dependant on what Neptune delivers. That said, Netune should be able to deliver alot more functionality. We'll have to wait and see. I am not a fan of conspiracy theories... But would not be surprised if the Netune controller is a bit delayed to give Ecotech a chance to move a few more upgrade kits out of the door..

Just the ability to change modes by programmed schedule, turn off or slow down during feed cycles, etc. is a huge increase in flexibility IMO.

YES.. to be able to have APex change profiles and flow intensity on the fly would open up antirely different dimension of flow options. I will take two please! :)

There's no question, in my mind, that the Apex controller will be a must have. The question is whether the Apex's functionality will have limitation (wave modes and syn options) to that of the vortech driver or whether there will be programing options that obviate the need to buy the ecosmart?

Back