upgrading from 25 to 90 gallons........

waverz

Slave to the reef!
As most of you know i moved my 25 gallon and it was a real PITA!
Sure i have it setup but i had so much livestock it was nearly impossible to reset it up so it looked nice. I had a 90 gallon tnak i got for free from a friend and a decent looking pine stand for my 55. The stand needs a little modifying to work with the 18" deep tank but shouldnt be any problem. I was gonna drill the tank and build an internal overflow but i decided i might as well see if anyone has any used overflows before i drill. Also looking for return pumps and circulation pumps.

Anyone know a cheap source for cutting board stuff, im goin bare-bottom.

Heres a pic of what ive got to work with.

90gallon.jpg

im moved in already, my 25 is a complete mess, i need to get this tank goin asap.

regal can get you cutting board for around 40 bucks for 1/2 thick, as for drilling it I would say drill it. Theres so many pluses to drilling and so many downfalls to not drilling. I have a few pumps laying around we might be able to work something out, I think I have at least 2 almost new (used less than a month) Maxi jet 1200's, a maxi 900, and a few others. Just shoot me a PM if your interested.....Jason

You can get a Grey 1/2" thick 4'x6' HDPE at Menards for $12. The stuff cuts good with most woodworking tools. Thats what is in the bottom of my tank.

I would drill it but then i gotta move it back outside and get it all wet. Plus, i dont wanne have to order a bulkhead seperate. Besides, i got a good deal on a CPR overflow.

I would be cautious about putting a 90g on a 55g stand. Yes you can balance it there, but that is what you will always be doing...balancing. Not that I have a problem with that since that is what I do for a living. But, the foundation of the base might not be as forgiving. Plus, it will be 1200lbs on something that was made for 600. It isn't just water weight. I would look into another stand jsut your own sake, as well as all the livestock that would have one heck of a surf, if the thing went over.

This is just something I really think you should consider and not trying to sound like a fun spoiler.

Im gonna beef up the front a little from the inside as well as build an addition on the back. Im thinking it should be fine.

be safe at least build a good stand. trying to modify a 55 gallon stand will be weak and not give proper support. without proper support your tank will start to leak. you can start out with 2x4's and 4x4's then skirt it with 1x4 pine which you can stain.

.Just remember this are only our honest suggestions...sometimes based on experience. Did you think that moving your 25g was tough, try doing it with 90g while watching water leaking from a seam. BUt hey, you can be the one the gets it right! Not much to lose except maybe your security deposit and a bunch of saltwater damage. But if that is what it takes to prove the taks, so be it. Best of luck.

After alot of thinking (and having my finace read this post) i have decided to build a new stand for the 90 gallon. This way i can use the 55 gallon for a sump. I just bought an overflow for it but while im building the stand i might as well just drill the tank too.

This is gonna require alot of beer...........

Okay on to the next problem, i a supreme mag 24 pump for a return, now i gotta figure out how big of bulkheads do i need, and do i need more than one overflow?

Basically i was ll in a hurry to get this tank setup before, now i have decided to figure everything before hand out so i can avoid mistakes.....

Well a 1" bulkhead will roughly allow 600gph through it.

To push 2000gph you would need roughly a 2" bulkhead.

two 1" bulkheads don't = one 2" bulkhead either

You really only need about 600 gph through your sump anyway, so you may want to try and find a smaller pump.

You could probably use the Mag 24 for a closed loop though.

This is gonna require alot of beer........... [/B]

Let me know when you need help drinking that, I'd be more than willing to help with that part of the project!!! :D

:beer:

I do have a smaller pump, it a no name pump and i dont even know where it came from. Matt did you say you have some 1" bulkheads? Maybe you can bring one down for me and i can show you how to drill a tank. And i guess ill let you drink some beer too.

;)

Yeah, I have 4 of them. I've used them once before so they all have some flex pvc glued in them but I think you'd still be allright with 1 or 2 of them. I'll snap a pic of them and post what I'm talking about if I can find them! :rolleyes:

Back