Use PWM to control your Jebao DCT pump using brushless motor controller from ebay

I have not been through this whole thread yet (still on the firs page) but I want to give a BIG thank you to d0ughb0y for all you do. First, a complete controller and now your sinking your teeth into this with unlimited info and shared experiments, wow! You, Karimwassef and all the other that take their time out to do these things for people like us are awesome.

Thank you, thank you thank you!!

Hello Gents,
I have the dcp series pumps and want to control them from a p4.
Still scratching my head lol.
Got a cp55 that the controller gave up the ghost on too so looking for something to build to replace that as nothing on the market seems to touch the cp55 or dcp series pumps to replace the original controllers !
Anyway superb work gents i watch on with interest.

I am bumping this thread to see if any of you guys are still working on a custom controller. After reading the thread, I'm also curious if anyone tried increasing the supply voltage to the [cheap] BLDC controllers above 24V to achieve pump outputs closer to the stock controllers.

I spent some time today comparing waveforms on my oscilloscope between this BLDC controller and the DCT and DCP controllers, and think that higher supply voltage will be necessary. Since all of the controllers use a PWM output without any feedback loop to adjust pulse width, it would be a coincidence for the fixed pulse width profile of any controller to match the power requirement of some random pump. I now realize that the controllers are designed with some target impedance, and the "high power" BLDC controllers seem to be designed specifically for high current motors (low coil resistance).

What I've found is that the controller linked above, which supports up to 36V, is able to achieve a little more than half of the rated flow at about half of the power draw of the stock controller. However, at the lowest speeds (and zero head pressure), it matches the stock controller. It isn't until it crosses a threshold that the speed and power draw drops in half. Near that threshold, the pump makes a significant amount of noise, and the power draw bounces up and down. The highest power draw I'm able to achieve with my Jebao DCP-15000 is 56W with the cheap BLDC controller, then it gets noisy and unstable. However, I suspect that increasing the supply voltage beyond 24V would help that quite a bit. With the stock controller it goes just above 100W.

I was very disappointed a few minutes ago to find that my 36V power supply is fried, so I'm going to order another one. However, I'm hoping that someone following this thread has tried increasing the voltage to overcome this issue.

Last edited:
I checked the signal pin, and the signal is the same as what I saw on the white board. If the pump is running, there is a signal that seems random, but probably is synchronized with each commutation. One thing for sure though, once the pump stops, the signal either stays low or stays high. So I think that can be used to detect if the pump is running or not.

By any chance do you remember the voltage on the signal pin? I was trying to use it to count RPM. I thought it may have been 5V but it burned by Arduino. Is it the full 24V?

Thanks

I'm glad this thread was bumped!

I just realized that I never reported back about how well increasing the voltage did with the variable PWM controller!

It turns out that each pump requires a customized voltage in order for them to operate as expected. It makes sense if you think about it...

It requires a certain amount of torque to turn the impeller at a certain speed. Bigger pumps require more torque than smaller ones. Since the variable PWM controllers have a fixed PWM profile, the only way to increase or decrease torque at a particular RPM is to increase or decrease the voltage.

It helped to use a Kill-A-Watt meter to monitor power consumption of the pump as I adjusted voltage, since the power reading became more stable and closer to the pump's power spec as I increased the supply voltage. The sound and flow from the pump stabilized also.

I was think the same but I'm be using a raspberrypi. What I'm thinking is opening the original driver and cut off the 5v control signal line and connect it to a pca9685 (an pwm ic) of course it need to convert the digital pwm back to an 0-5v analog. The 24 power supply will also need to ground to the board.

Of course of this work you loss all the button control on the original controller.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

If that dont work have anyone try building the driver itself using the same ic, same capacitor a resistors and voltage regulator as the original driver board?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've just successfully used one of these drivers to control an OW series pump with an Arduino (technically an ESP32). It's extremely simple although my W and U pins were reversed from the description. If it doesn't work, try swapping them.

Next I would like to try a DRV10983 instead to get sinusoidal control. If it goes well, I'll start a thread about it.

Any News about this ?
i would like to controll my flow pumps by reef pi instead of the OEM Controllers.

Agree. Raspberry Pi running ReefPi and the Leviathan 1.1 essentially duplicates the Apex for a WHOLE lot less $$$ and doesn't require proprietary equipment.

Agree. Raspberry Pi running ReefPi and the Leviathan 1.1 essentially duplicates the Apex for a WHOLE lot less $$$ and doesn't require proprietary equipment.

I read the first couple of pages then the last couple. RE: your comment about ReefPi, I thought I read early on that the controller input could come from the signal output from an Apex VDM. Has that module not been "replicated" in the ReefPi ecosphere? Or did that control option not work out for this DCT DIY control in the long run?

I am just starting to read up on ReefPi as I am getting back into the hobby after 15 years being out. I have most of the parts required for the build on hand and plenty of experience flashing MCUs and programming in general, just need to take the time to really dig into it. So apologies if my question about the VDM is remedial. :)

I've just successfully used one of these drivers to control an OW series pump with an Arduino (technically an ESP32). It's extremely simple although my W and U pins were reversed from the description. If it doesn't work, try swapping them.

Next I would like to try a DRV10983 instead to get sinusoidal control. If it goes well, I'll start a thread about it.

Is that to create the wave and other modes that a lot of the newer DC motors/controller provide today?

Has anyone experience to build a controller for the Jabao RSP (10000-30000) Pumps? Are The PWM or Sine Wave?

Back