Using Smaller AC/DC Adapter for more powerful DC Pump - AND IT WORKS!!

Tuffloud1

Okay so I purchased this -

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 0
The AC/DC adapter always ran hot which seemed strange, woke up yesterday morning to it failing. Thought it was the pump, nope it was the adapter.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 0
I have another DC pump used for my salt mixing station, the Speedwave 1320, which is 40 watts.

Since my return was down, I tried using the adapter from the Speedwave pump for the return, and it works exactly the same, pump speed is steady and perfectly matched to the other larger adapter it came with.

So why is this adapter for a pump that is rated almost half the wattage running cooler and pushing this more powerful pump? I run it on max power.

Here is the adapter from the Speedwave that is powering it until I get a replacement, or should I even bother. I just don't understand, if I'm using half the power to drive this pump, yet it is giving me the same flow, always ran the control on 100 percent so what gives???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 0
I have another DC pump used for my salt mixing station, the Speedwave 1320, which is 40 watts.

Since my return was down, I tried using the adapter from the Speedwave pump for the return, and it works exactly the same, pump speed is steady and perfectly matched to the other larger adapter it came with.

So why is this adapter for a pump that is rated almost half the wattage running cooler and pushing this more powerful pump? I run it on max power.

Here is the adapter from the Speedwave that is powering it until I get a replacement, or should I even bother. I just don't understand, if I'm using half the power to drive this pump, yet it is giving me the same flow, always ran the control on 100 percent so what gives???

It's possible the adapter was bad causing it to draw more power and heat up, eventually failing. If the 40w adapter is not heating up then it may be under rated or the pump is (probably) not drawing 70 watts.

Edit: BTW I have that same pump. The brick gets warm but not hot.

If the pump draws more current than the AC Adapter puts out. The AC Adapter will end up failing. It's not a question of "if" but instead, how soon. It may be working now but you can pretty much count on it failing. I'm in the elecronics business and have plenty of experience with power supply failures as a result of current draw.

If the pump draws more current than the AC Adapter puts out. The AC Adapter will end up failing. It's not a question of "if" but instead, how soon. It may be working now but you can pretty much count on it failing. I'm in the elecronics business and have plenty of experience with power supply failures as a result of current draw.

But how is the lesser powered adapter pushing the pump to the same flow? If the pump isn't receiving the needed power to run on 100 percent, how is it running at the same flow the more powerful adapter was?

It's possible the adapter was bad causing it to draw more power and heat up, eventually failing. If the 40w adapter is not heating up then it may be under rated or the pump is (probably) not drawing 70 watts.

Edit: BTW I have that same pump. The brick gets warm but not hot.

How long have you been running the DC9000? What size plumbing are you running and how much head?

How long have you been running the DC9000? What size plumbing are you running and how much head?

I'm still building, but I did run it 24/7 for about two weeks to see if any issues would crop up. The plumbing is 1.5 " - same as the pump output. The head I forget, but according to their chart and the RC calculator, I'm flowing about 1650gph at full tilt.

Sounds like, as slief said, that power supply is kaput.

I'm still building, but I did run it 24/7 for about two weeks to see if any issues would crop up. The plumbing is 1.5 " - same as the pump output. The head I forget, but according to their chart and the RC calculator, I'm flowing about 1650gph at full tilt.

Sounds like, as slief said, that power supply is kaput.

I'm only running 3/4 pvc with 5 feet of head in addition to running a carbon reactor in line. Is this bad?

I'm only running 3/4 pvc with 5 feet of head in addition to running a carbon reactor in line. Is this bad?

No expert on that. But when they stick a 1.5" outlet on a pump, I think it's for a reason! Depends on what flow rate you're after. Restricting the output shouldn't hurt, but you don't want to restrict the input (FWIR).

No expert on that. But when they stick a 1.5" outlet on a pump, I think it's for a reason! Depends on what flow rate you're after. Restricting the output shouldn't hurt, but you don't want to restrict the input (FWIR).

It's a 90 gallon tank with a total of 110 gallons with sump/fuge. I am looking for between 800-1000 gph.

It's a 90 gallon tank with a total of 110 gallons with sump/fuge. I am looking for between 800-1000 gph.

You could certainly push that through 3/4" pipe with that head loss, but I don't have any idea what that inline reactor does to the flow. If that was included in your head loss number you should be fine, or at least according to rc's calculator. I used the mag 24 in the calculator - 300 gph less than the dc9000.

You could certainly push that through 3/4" pipe with that head loss, but I don't have any idea what that inline reactor does to the flow. If that was included in your head loss number you should be fine, or at least according to rc's calculator. I used the mag 24 in the calculator - 300 gph less than the dc9000.

I used the calculator, here is what it says - 618 gph

This seems really low from 2300 which is what the pump is capable.

I used the most similar pump from the selection.

Is this enough gph for my system? I'm running a Vertex Omega 180i skimmer

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 0
the jebao pumps come with very low-quality and failure-prone power supplies which are oversized compared to the bare minimum. That power supply you are now using delivers up to 96W which is more than enough for your pump. It should not be a surprise at all that your pump is working fine.

the jebao pumps come with very low-quality and failure-prone power supplies which are oversized compared to the bare minimum. That power supply you are now using delivers up to 96W which is more than enough for your pump. It should not be a surprise at all that your pump is working fine.

You are correct. I didn't even look at the new power supply picture. 4 amps at 24v is about 96 watts which should be more than enough. I stand corrected.

I'm gonna drop out and monitor. I just wanted to let you know about my limited experience so far with your pump.

So I purchased a new pump with the power supply. AGAIN, this larger power supply is running borderline HOT. Same thing.

Why is JEBAO mismatching power supplies. I might as well just use the smaller one......

So I purchased a new pump with the power supply. AGAIN, this larger power supply is running borderline HOT. Same thing.

Why is JEBAO mismatching power supplies. I might as well just use the smaller one......

Jebao uses cheap power supplies just like the rest of their parts. What do you expect from a Chinese company that sells cheap pumps with no R&D and provides no factory support to back their products? Heck, they are changing their name to Jecod because Jebao has become synonymous with cheap and unreliable. Not that a name change will fix their quality or support issues. Fortunately, there are dealers like Fish Street and Reef Breeders that make up for the support shortcomings but they can't make up for a lack of quality when it comes to cheap parts. Sadly, you do get what you pay for when it comes to this stuff.

Jebao uses cheap power supplies just like the rest of their parts. What do you expect from a Chinese company that sells cheap pumps with no R&D and provides no factory support to back their products? Heck, they are changing their name to Jecod because Jebao has become synonymous with cheap and unreliable. Not that a name change will fix their quality or support issues. Fortunately, there are dealers like Fish Street and Reef Breeders that make up for the support shortcomings but they can't make up for a lack of quality when it comes to cheap parts. Sadly, you do get what you pay for when it comes to this stuff.

What American, German or Italian made pump do you recommend as an alternative to the DC9000? I appreciate your help!

Back