UV effectiveness on free floating ich

Jukka

How effective UV is killing free floating ich, if wattage is big enough comparing to water flow?

I'm thinking if this kind of quarantine setting could be used for adding invertebrates to main display? (after ridding ich with the 6 weeks hypo for fish):

One extra aquarium in circulation with the main tank and all the water coming back from it passing through 36W UV unit.

This way corals, snails, anemones, etc. invertebrates could be quarantined without worries of possible water parameter problems like in separate small quarantine setup.

One would think that a UV unit could not eliminate ich in a display tank because 100% of the tank water can never be circulated. Well, it worked for me.

I screwed up and re-contaminated my FO display tank, twice. On the second occasion, I did not have enough tanks to QT all the fish so I bought a UV unit to give it a shot. All white spots were gone in a week and I haven't seen a spot on any fish in the last 8 months. I've got several of the "ich magnet" fish in the tank like tangs and butterflies and they remain clean.

Re: UV effectiveness on free floating ich

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9815156#post9815156 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jukka
How effective UV is killing free floating ich, if wattage is big enough comparing to water flow?

I'm thinking if this kind of quarantine setting could be used for adding invertebrates to main display? (after ridding ich with the 6 weeks hypo for fish):

One extra aquarium in circulation with the main tank and all the water coming back from it passing through 36W UV unit.

This way corals, snails, anemones, etc. invertebrates could be quarantined without worries of possible water parameter problems like in separate small quarantine setup.

this would be ok and fish stores use this method to stop ich spreading.

make sure the uv is bright enough though cause you are taking a risk.

Back