UV sterilizer size and preference

JJIM

I am looking at a couple different UV sterilizers for my 75 gallon. Wondering what everyones take is on the below options.

1. Aqua UV 15 watt Advantage 2000+ Hang On UV Sterilizer

2. AquaUltraviolet Advantage 2000+ Inline 3/4" Barb - 15 Watt Aquarium UV Sterilizer

3. Aqua UV 25 Watt 3/4 inch W/ Wiper UV Sterilizer

I am open to other brands too, but I have heard good things about this company.

I am looking at a couple different UV sterilizers for my 75 gallon. Wondering what everyones take is on the below options.

1. Aqua UV 15 watt Advantage 2000+ Hang On UV Sterilizer

2. AquaUltraviolet Advantage 2000+ Inline 3/4" Barb - 15 Watt Aquarium UV Sterilizer

3. Aqua UV 25 Watt 3/4 inch W/ Wiper UV Sterilizer

I am open to other brands too, but I have heard good things about this company.

Id go with the 25w. That's what I use on smaller tank installs. They are great UV's. Not sure you need the wiper though. It comes in handy for cleaning the sleeve but it is another point of maintenance since you will need to replace the seals every couple years. My 114w has the wipers on it and while I used the wipers regularly years back, I've slacked off on it the last couple years and didn't find my sleeves much dirtier when I changed my bulbs last year.

+1 on the AquaUV 25W w/o wiper.

I ran on one on my 90, it had a wiper. If you are putting this below the tank in a cabinet, you need to figure extra room to pull the cleaning rod out. I hardly used the wiper feature.

My current 120 is also using an AquaUV 25W but without the wiper.

One other note about the wiper version, while I never had an issue, with the cleaning rod going thru the end cap, the is always a chance of a leak at the seal point.

Help me understand why the 25w is necessary. It is over 2x the cost, and I would rather not throw money at an item that is overkill. I have read that the AquaUV 15 is rated for aquariums up to 75 gallons. Are you both implying that the 25 is necessary and that the 15w is inadequate? Again, I appreciate your wisdom on this piece of equipment.

Examples might be helpful, i.e- will raise ORP more, reduce algae, kill more bugs running through it, etc.

Thanks again!

Help me understand why the 25w is necessary. It is over 2x the cost, and I would rather not throw money at an item that is overkill. I have read that the AquaUV 15 is rated for aquariums up to 75 gallons. Are you both implying that the 25 is necessary and that the 15w is inadequate? Again, I appreciate your wisdom on this piece of equipment.

Examples might be helpful, i.e- will raise ORP more, reduce algae, kill more bugs running through it, etc.

Thanks again!

You don't "need" the 25w but it's a higher quality unit overall and allows for higher flow rates. If you ever upgrade to a larger system, it will be up for the task too. I've used the classic 25w on a number of systems along with larger classic models and they are the best sterilizers you can buy for our application.

Slief, what pumps would you recommend for the below UVs? Preferably something economical, yet reliable.

Aqua UV 15 watt Advantage 2000+ Hang On UV Sterilizer

and

Aqua UV 25 Watt 3/4 inch

Any other fittings necessary besides the tubing?

Back