VHO vs T5 Supplemental Light

gguertin

After replacing many pucks and leds, company upgrades, or discontinued parts I have decided the TCO on LED is not what its cracked up to be and going back to Halides. Looking for some feedback on what some of the "veteran" reefers think of the difference between the VHO Super Actinic and 454 vs newer T5 combinations. Are there new T5 bulbs that are as good for just supplemental lighting?

I have 3 250w radiums 20k with Cabo Sun Mini Reflectors 12.75" x 12.75" x 5"
I do own 2 6' t5 reflectors and a ballast but this is not crucial im looking for the best visual tank possible.

I do not care that T5's put out more power I am sure the MH will provide more then enough light and I live in MN so running the lights just means my heaters will finally turn off LOL

Thanks!

Long time radium user here.

Short answer is no, they aren't. There is nothing like the old super actinic 03 vho bulbs.

The problem is getting them. I see them in stock at drs foster and smith but last time a buddy of mine tried to get a hold of them, even trying to buy a whole case they were back ordered and were months out. It boiled down to there is only one bulb line at the plant that manufactures them that can still make them and that line is running full steam ahead with tanning bed bulbs so they have to shut down the money maker to produce the 03 which is a very niche bulb.

My suggestion is if you go with them, get your hands on the bulbs first and buy several years worth of them before buying any ballasts or endcaps.

My favorite setup was 2x Super Actinic 03 VHO, 4x blue+ t5, and 4x 250w radium on m80 ballast. Excellent combo :)

I have switched to all t5 supplements simply due to availability.

I still use VHOs. They are still available. UVL still makes them - you can call them and order by the case, but I also just got six from the Doctors. I have not tried to get endcaps recently, but Coralvue is still making the 440 and 660 new (people overdrive T5s with them).

Even with the just the internal reflector (no parabolic) each one is twice the PAR as a single T5 bulb in an ATI fixture with the reflector, but they also use twice the power. You can also use the VHOs twice as long as the T5. I basically change half the bulbs half as often. I can assure you that on an Apogee 510 PAR Meter that 2 T5s put out nearly the exact same PAR as a single VHO - keep in mind that most of these statements are mostly from manufacturers and before hobbyists had PAR meters in their home.

I use Actinic White and Super Actinic to supplement my 14K Phoenix and Radium 20K bulbs.

I am setting up a new 6' frag tank and it is going to have 4 VHO over it.

Back