Vibrant by UWC testing

Gotcha...I also noticed in the metro you gave a pretty heftier dose than what others had done. Was there any bounce-back after the dosing was over (or attempt at the dino) to bounce back?

I have ordered a bottle of Vibrant. I am curious, but don't want to jump into using it. I have thoughts regarding something, but I am not a biologist and not nearly as versed as some who are already using it. I am curious as if it will be a product that needs to be added to long-term use (to continue results absent a change in the tank environment/ecosystem) vs just using it to clear a problem quickly.

I appreciate your time on this...and the videos are cool.

Yes, I went more aggressive with the metro taking notes of twillards dosing and progress showing it was necessary and needed for more then 3 days. I noticed some at the end and a bit afterwards but not anywhere near the numbers previous. However, recently I've found I believe only 1 in many samples taken and that was back in September according to my notes. Pretty impressive. But only seems to have effected that one larger type. I belive to be a variety of Alexandrium genus.

I doubt it's completely gone. I would be surprised if it is.

Same with this product. I highly doubt that even if it could fight back all forms of dinoflagelets and other nuisances that they could not come back or be in the tank somewhere. I would assume one would have to do some maintenance dose long term if they wanted. Its really not that bad cost wise for doing something like that if effective.

Personally, I have no plans to continue dosing this in the long run. Only doing this out of curiosity and entertainment and hope others get something from it.

And another note in relation to dosage. For this I'm following the "dirty" instructions which calls for 2x a week dosing.

Ok now this is weird. No idea what it is and when I get a chance I'm certainly going to get a much closer look at it. I would tonight but I'm back at work.

I noticed this single small interesting almost smooth poop like looking thing in my sump this morning next to my skimmer pump. I thought that's interesting. Again, this morning it was just one small piece. Tonight I find this

ce009b4a7cdc7a01b3d87068161482fb.jpg

No idea what is causing that. Never seen what I assume is detritus build up like that in my sump. Just a note as something different occurring while dosing Vibrant. Not that its because of dosing it.

Got my bottle in last night and just added some to the tank. Gonna try for two doses per week since I have a lot going on in the tank. GHA, some red algae growing on a newer frag I have, and some brown stuff that I don't really know what it is. So we'll see how it goes.
9221eca72623ebe3e2c1d811db25623f.jpg
eb4ad5867527ae3d03af938fc8574c0e.jpg
743fb6c67ea3ef5c4a6184a37fbfbb97.jpg
bd96bc24fd6d305ed2b27160ab96f3b1.jpg

There's quite few bacterial commercial products that claim to do the same thing. Special Blend and MB7 off the top of my head come to mind.

I've tried MB7 and it did work over time for cyano.

This is also a related question to that MB7, Special Blend, etc and my response from another thread...

How is this bacteria any different than all others out there?

Good question. I didn't get an answer back from them on that. But from what I have visually seen under the microscope there's some unique strands of something, possibly left over from some type of algae, with bacteria attached to it. Those seemed to be dormant. I did see some active bacteria and typical cocci and bacilli and coccobacillus types. But I also found chains of coccus bacteria and they did stain gram positive which would indicate a type of streptococcus. That I have definitely not seen in any of the bottles of bacteria I've looked at yet.

Interesting thread and thanks for documenting! Have you noticed any effects on your ATS since adding Vibrant? Or have you heard any others who use Vibrant and run an ATS? I'm wondering if it's going to kill off the algae in the ATS and not allow it to export nutrients.

Interesting thread and thanks for documenting! Have you noticed any effects on your ATS since adding Vibrant? Or have you heard any others who use Vibrant and run an ATS? I'm wondering if it's going to kill off the algae in the ATS and not allow it to export nutrients.
I will find out in a couple weeks. Just before the first dose I cleaned off my ATS screen. Will see how it effects the ATS growth compared to my past experiences.

I just ordered the 8oz bottle after reading a ton of reviews on another site. I don't really have an algae problem (small amount of GHA on my return nozzles) and then the normal every 4 day cleaning of the glass. I'm just looking to "polish" the water a little and minimize glass cleanings. Will give it a try and see how it does.

I just ordered the 8oz bottle after reading a ton of reviews on another site. I don't really have an algae problem (small amount of GHA on my return nozzles) and then the normal every 4 day cleaning of the glass. I'm just looking to "polish" the water a little and minimize glass cleanings. Will give it a try and see how it does.
Have you tried doing any kind of carbon dosing?

Think the poop stuff could be algae from your drain or in the overflow?

I'm thinking general detritus not just algae. I'm thinking skimmer drain. Or something. Odd it has a uniform like shape.

Its in my skimmer section.

5052050f963f781eb03c3c50ca2ed5cf.jpg

If it was from the drain or ATS I would expect it to be in that section where it becomes food or home like for this cute couple

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/-lI60-Q2iSA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yep, I'm pretty confident it came from the skimmer. Reminded me a lot of what I saw from looking at a sample from my skimmer cup a while back. Nothing like my ATS, sump bottom, or rock detritus which I've also looked at several times now.

I got a nice sample from the middle inside of a big chunk.

aca4d3c9163ab8ff6610033f497429a9.jpg

7c1e3f4d9bc8812e428d5971a346e550.jpg

06315f629158fa72c9807c56067ac356.jpg

Uploading pics and videos now. I did see something I've never seen yet. Which isn't saying much as I'm always finding something new. So no idea if its from the Vibrant or not. It is possible.

I wonder if there are very long strands in that sample...

I really need to get a microscope! I know nothing about them. There is a place by the med school that has a decent used selection. It's the other side of town...

Back