Vortech QD Wetside Corrosion - Terrible Customer Service

I don't see what the problem is, you asked a question and they answered. If you expected more from them such as a replacement part, then you should have asked for it.

He may not have directly asked for a replacement, but besides whatever GFO is in his tank or whatever, he brought a replacement part and it's stuffed in under a year, so I wouldn't miss the point on this one, especially seeing as how expensive ecotech stuff is, they're prices suggest premium quality on all fronts

That's my opinion as well, I spend the money for quality gear so I can buy it once and be done w/ it, and after spending that hard earned money if there is a failure of some kind I won't get bent out of shape as long as it is taken care of properly.

He may not have directly asked for a replacement, but besides whatever GFO is in his tank or whatever, he brought a replacement part and it's stuffed in under a year, so I wouldn't miss the point on this one, especially seeing as how expensive ecotech stuff is, they're prices suggest premium quality on all fronts

But the point is it's possibly not stuffed. I haven't seen any pictures of the wet side from the OP, maybe the problem is worse than I am imagining.

But the point is it's possibly not stuffed. I haven't seen any pictures of the wet side from the OP, maybe the problem is worse than I am imagining.

That's true, although he does say it is rusting, for the price, should they be? Then the tone of voice from customer support? And that they marked it as resolved? C'mon

Edit: while I'm on it, I know what people pay for when u buy ecotech, have u seen the video from king of diy? He's built and aquarium gallery thing, ecotech sponsored him with... I dunno, I'm guessing well over $10k worth of stuff, yet they can't help out someone who actually paid for something!?!?

I don't mean to rant, stuff like that just gets right under my skin

Last edited:
tone of voice? C'mon

TTIWWOP of said "corrosion"

From what the op posted, they weren't exactly interested in his complaint, if you complained to customer service about something like that, and got that response, what else would you call it? How would you feel? It's like they couldn't give a ****

From what the op posted, they weren't exactly interested in his complaint, if you complained to customer service about something like that, and got that response, what else would you call it? How would you feel? It's like they couldn't give a ****

I thought the response from customer service was 100% acceptable and polite..

I'm not sure where you are seeing anything about not giving a ***.. Nor where you read disinterest or anything into it..

The customer asked a question.. Got an answer.. Promptly disagreed and stated that the answer received was wrong/incorrect.. Customer service verified their response and responded accordingly.. case closed..
I can't read anything else into it and shouldn't.. Nothing there is wrong at all nor "terrible customer service"..

Could it have gone "better" for the customer?.. Sure..
Can the customer request that the case be reopened or submit another?.. Sure they can in this mostly free world..

A company surely does not need to give out information on the who/what/why of their internal workings and Engineering decisions..

The customer is perfectly capable of using their rights and returning the product if they are not happy with it.. Seems that they are still within the warranty period too.. But warranties typically cover "manufacturing defects".. Surface rust or visible rust on a stainless steel shaft in a marine environment does not equal a manufacturing defect. Its perfectly normal..
Now could ecotech have made a "better" choice in material selection.. Sure/maybe.. but they are using SS shafts.. Its what it is..

I'm sorry that some of you feel that the premium price you are paying to Ecotech is going towards more expensive/exotic materials and that you feel that this price somehow should guarantee a higher form of quality.. Its very clear its not and does not and it should not be expected to. Ecotech from what I've read has always stated that their higher price is mostly due to the R&D they put into each product and that the elevated price is to recoup that in a sensible time frame. Just like many other products in this world much of the elevated price is because of the brand and quite frankly they keep that price because people are paying it...

Now again without pictures to judge the state of the corrosion I really can't comment any further..
If there is visible pitting of said shaft or other signs of more than just surface rusting then there is/may be a case here..
But without further information I really don't see it as a problem.. and I certainly don't feel that the customer service responses were a problem or unacceptable or anything less that normal/polite..

It is entirely related to quality issues that seem very specific to MP40QDs. My MP10QDs don't have any issues with shaft rust or cracked magnet housings. I don't recall seeing any threads about these issues with the MP10s or MP60s for that matter. For some reason this is very much, an MP40QD issue. Why?

For some reason this is very much, an MP40QD issue. Why?

You do realize that all manufactured products have a certain % failure rate, right? There are 10s of thousands of MP40s out there (it's the most popular one) that run forever. The shaft discoloration is normal and has nothing to do with the problem the above person experienced.

I'm not sure what your motivation is here, but it sure isn't the truth.

It is entirely related to quality issues that seem very specific to MP40QDs. My MP10QDs don't have any issues with shaft rust or cracked magnet housings. I don't recall seeing any threads about these issues with the MP10s or MP60s for that matter. For some reason this is very much, an MP40QD issue. Why?

That's because they redesigned the wet side for the mp40qd only I believe. My mp60qd was bullet proof and more quiet than a couple of the brand new mp40qd I have now. Sad but true.

That's because they redesigned the wet side for the mp40qd only I believe. My mp60qd was bullet proof and more quiet than a couple of the brand new mp40qd I have now. Sad but true.

Dude there are 10s of thousands of MP40QDs out there that are perfectly silent, instead of complaining on a forum why don't you just call Ecotech? It's so ridiculous when people have a problem and then extrapolate it to the entire product line. What you're experiencing is *not* normal, so either return them or call Ecotech. Email is *never* the way to get support when you need it right away.

I'm not sure what your motivation is here, but it sure isn't the truth.

Dude, really!?!

Like I said before I had my heart set on upgrading my pair of MP10QDs to the MP40QDs to accommodate the 1/2" thick glass on my new build. I've owned ESs prior to my QDs. I love the form factor and multiple random flow programming options. However, I will not be "fanboy blind" to the fact that across multiple reef forums, there seems to be a higher than normal failure rate specifically isolated to the new, redesigned MP40QD wet sides.

In addition, Ecotech's assertion that wet sides are wear items that should be replaced every 18 months seems like a BS work around explanation for the MP40QD wet side problems that they're having. I don't ever recall this 18 month replacement explanation in prior Vortech iterations, only since the failures of the new 40 wesides became an issue.

From the multiple discussions that I've read here and on other forums, there certainly seems to be.

re: terrible Customer Service

re: terrible Customer Service

I'm sorry that you have had a bad customer service experience but personally - I find that these people give AMAZING Customer service! I absolutely LOVE this company!

I'm sorry that you feel you've had such a bad experience. I've had 2 issues with my ecotech products (we run 2 MP60's, 4 MP40's and 2 MP10's, plus 4 radion 30's, 2 M1's and 1 L1) needless to say, we have a lot of ecotech equipment. They're CS has been outstanding and I have yet to not see them resolve issues of concern. I don't understand coming on here to bash them.

As for the MP40 isolated issues, I highly disagree. MP40's are their most common purchase, of course you're going to see higher issues for the % of failure every manufacturer has, no matter the product. You can't accurately make that statement without knowing the volume of each product sold. It's comparing apples to oranges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say that I have had no issues with ETM customer service. When things happened that I felt should reasonably have been replaced under warranty they were. When things happened that I felt were user error, or out of warranty, some were still replaced, others not. Whether there were quality issues with the new MP40 wetsides I cannot say; my three have performed flawlessly (though none were bought right when the QD models came out).

Back