water changes

i guess i'm lazy i dose with seachem reef complete(strontium, magnesium, calcium,) and seachem carbonate, and 3 capfulls of purple up for iodine all of this once a week. works for me everything grows nothing dies, not many fish at all. So i do water changes quarterly through the year. I will step it up now that i have added sumps to both systems and better skimmers so i'm sure i will skim out more trace elements. No need to fix what isn't broke and it works for me, but softies, zoos, shrooms, and clams, no lps or sps corals.

I have done a water change once already this year! about 10% - med load. I, for some reason, seem to start more trouble when I do a change than leaving it alone.

I would say I have a heavy bioload and change about 30% of the water when ever I feel like it which is every few months. I use to do it every week but still was never able to get my nitrates down so gave up on so many water changes and things didn't seem to be effected by the nitrates anyways so I do it when i feel like it now. I have no way of figuring out how to get my nitrates down, nothing works.

Thanks again everyone for sharing your information.

As with everything else in this hobby there is no "right" answer just what works for you and your system.

The responses ran from 20% a week to next to nothing. 10% a week seems to be the most popular.

The article Reggae Fish seemed to indicate there was little difference between doing 10% a week or 20% every two weeks in helping maintain different seawater components.

For now I'll plan on the 10% a week but will look at backing it off after the tank is well established and no issues are present.

Kevin

225g RR +100g sump set up in April (I think) very low Bio and I've done 3 water changes. I pull from the sump and replace in the sump. Haven't done one since Sept and all water params (that I can test for other than Phosphate) are the same. The answer is I pull 55 gallons out and put 55 gallons back in when I was doing water changes.

I go with the Fade Method. High Bio Load (6 in Emperor Angel, 6in Naso, 4 in BristleTooth tang, clown fish, two wrasses, sleeper head goby, Lamark Angel, Midnight Angel, 4 honey chromis/cross damsel's, 1 arabara neon) I change water once every month to 1-11/2 months, about 20%. I have a good skimmer, denitrator, and 2 phosban reactors (one with carbon the other with phosban) and a fuge full of macro. Nitrates are around 5, everything else is undetectable. I feed twice a day, alage in the morning frozen food at night.

Back