Waterbox 130.4 Macroalgae Display

Some colorful stuff in the tank =)

SZexAGch.jpg

c1aGaLeh.jpg

9QfoH28h.jpg

eNZCV7Uh.jpg

Things are really pretty. I love the color. This tank is going to be fun to watch as it matures.

Great colors, great variety of macros and inverts, and a great rock-scape to boot! Your young tank already looks amazing.

I noticed that some of your macros are small frags. Did you buy those on eBay? I've tried a couple from there as well. I found that the small size made it difficult to succeed with them. With bigger plants, the plant can go through some die-off, while you figure out their needs, then recover and grow. The smaller ones are like a short fuse, giving you little time to keep them alive.

Have you had this experience? If so, how do you deal with it? Also can you share any insights into macro care that you have learned in your experience? What are your plans for macro care in this tank? Will you be dosing anything? Whatever you can share would be appreciated!

Great colors, great variety of macros and inverts, and a great rock-scape to boot! Your young tank already looks amazing.

I noticed that some of your macros are small frags. Did you buy those on eBay? I've tried a couple from there as well. I found that the small size made it difficult to succeed with them. With bigger plants, the plant can go through some die-off, while you figure out their needs, then recover and grow. The smaller ones are like a short fuse, giving you little time to keep them alive.

Have you had this experience? If so, how do you deal with it? Also can you share any insights into macro care that you have learned in your experience? What are your plans for macro care in this tank? Will you be dosing anything? Whatever you can share would be appreciated!

I did get most of them as small frags and surprisingly the small frags have been doing really well for me. The bigger pieces that I got from a different supplier did have some die off and seem to be slower to recover after shipping.

I usually treat the algae the same way I treat corals, I start them lower in the sandbed and slowly move them up to where I want them to be. If they dont adjust fast enough and start to fade out in color due to too much light, then I just lower them for the color to recover. Another thing to take into consideration is the flow, the flow in the tank will kinda dictate how the macro will grow; just something you need to play with.

I'm not planning on dosing anything, but I might consider it down the line. Right now is just feeding the tank with the full line up from Reef Nutrition and that seem to keep all the filter feeder happy and the algae growing!

Here's a FTS from today :D Hope you guys are having a good Christmas!

CdyGdjuh.jpg

I've been pretty busy and just had the chance to clean the tank, do a Water Change, and took some new pictures!

Some new additions includes

- 15 Apogon Parvulus
- 20 Sexy Shrimps (up to 34-37 now)
- 3 Maxima Clams
- Banded Pipe Fish
- African Bluestripe Pipe fish
- Sea Apple (I'm feeding this guy 2-3 per day with Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast (Live))

FTS

NbDT1r5h.jpg

My main Sexy Shrimps Colony, there's 3 colonies spread throughout the tank but this one always have 20+ hanging around

mffZxSAh.jpg

Apogon Parvulus

wY0OQvWh.jpg

Christmas Tree Worm still doing good!

RiyRBmah.jpg

Ruby Red Dragonette
RpSJBb7h.jpg

Flaming Prawn Goby

vsCznW7h.jpg

Electric Flame Scallop

ZhNK2nth.jpg

Field of Feather Duster

FgQPa4Jh.jpg

More Feather Duster

PzCjCJSh.jpg

Brunn's Cleaner Shrimp

WmY5mqKh.jpg

Wow amazing diversity and beautiful collection of inverts and macros. I'm inspired :)

I've been pretty busy and just had the chance to clean the tank, do a Water Change, and took some new pictures!

Some new additions includes

- 15 Apogon Parvulus
- 20 Sexy Shrimps (up to 34-37 now)
- 3 Maxima Clams
- Banded Pipe Fish
- African Bluestripe Pipe fish
- Sea Apple (I'm feeding this guy 2-3 per day with Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast (Live))

Fantastic! I was just looking at those cardinals, thinking how they remind me of neon tetras. They look great in your gorgeous tank! The shrimp colonies are awesome too. Great pics!

Everything is so intricate and beautiful. You have done an amazing job of creating a gourgeous diverse marine aquarium.

Awesome tank, love the color and diversity. I’m in the process of setting up a macro tank but I’m having a hard time finding the nicer macros. Would you mind sharing your source? I can’t wait to see how the tank progresses.

Had a chance to do a few pictures today.

I've since added

- 3 Garden Eels
- Emperor Shrimps + Tiger Tail Cucumber
- 10 Masked Gobies
- 6 Trimma Striatum
- 6 Trimma Caesiura

Unfortunately it seem like the gobies might've been picking on the Parvulus since I've noticed 4-5 disappearing the day after adding the gobies. They've been just eating and schooling just fine before the new additions.

The Macroalgae has been growing amazingly (Though some got burnt by the Radion). The diatom that has been plaguing my tank for the last 1-2 weeks has finally died down and only appear in small quantity now.

Here are a few pictures for now! I will add more later.

Trimma Caesiura

iwAFBUWh.jpg

Apogon Parvulus

CR4yBtPh.jpg

Garden Eel

DFqwEJoh.jpg

Emperor Shrimps / Tiger Tail Cucumber

rtd5sMqh.jpg

Maxima Clam

avYFbV7h.jpg

Most Recent FTS!

OKxmFr6h.jpg

Eye-melting color! Beautiful FTS, especially the purple sea fans! I love the rich variety of reds, and very little greens. This is opposite to my tank of mostly green and a splash of red!

Your tank is amazing. That garden eel is very cool. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm building a garden eel biotope tank!

Today I had a chance to do a time lapse of the Sea Apple reacting to Reef Nutrition Phytofeast, along with its new mate.

<iframe width="490" height="370" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zqU0VdmZrcA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen" data-link="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqU0VdmZrcA"></iframe>

Last edited:
Cool time lapse, Kataro! It is such a treat, visiting your thread, with great pics of your gorgeous macro tank. But it's much more than that, with a variety of inverts and fish as well. You've really stocked it well! Do you have any more additions planned?

I'm especially impressed with how well overall your tank is doing. Could you tell us more about your setup and methods?

Cool time lapse, Kataro! It is such a treat, visiting your thread, with great pics of your gorgeous macro tank. But it's much more than that, with a variety of inverts and fish as well. You've really stocked it well! Do you have any more additions planned?

I'm especially impressed with how well overall your tank is doing. Could you tell us more about your setup and methods?

Yes please!

Wow, what an amazing tank. I first saw your photos of the livestock hanging out in the 10 gallon and was a little concerned as to how it was going to turn out :p

But it's beautiful! I especially love the purple sea fans and the christmas tree worms.

Where did you get your Xmas tree worms from?

Back